Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I've been away from the board for a while (sorry about that) you longer standing contributors may remember me from a little while back.

I wanted to let you all know how the FZ6 has done for me at Grattan Raceway here in Michigan in case you're interested. I sunk a few bucks into the bike over the winter in an attempt to get what I call a "track-able streetbike" as opposed to the other way around (I rode a '99 R6 for my track days last year).

I was very anxious over the winter to get the FZ6 on the track and see how it would perform. Since spring arrived, I've done three track days, and I'm very happy with the results. It's proven itself to be far more than just capable, it's an absolute ball to ride at the track. The lap times I'm turning are very respectable, and the bike gets quite a lot of attention on the paddock.

Even better, the owner / director of the organization I do my track days with (Sportbike Track Time) told me that the only other FZ6 he's see on the track was:
"turning the third fastest time of the weekend in the advanced group, he was damaging a lot of egos"
I can't remember the specific track where this guy was riding, but I thought that comment should be shared with you guys.

I will say that without certain mods (see list below) it wouldn't be possible to have much fun. The stock springs and damping action must be changed out for agressive riding. But rest assured, if you're thinking about whether or not the FZ6 can perform well at the track, it can.

As a side note, if you go to the race track, obviously remove your centerstand. Not so obvious, remove the kickstand as well. I did one session with the kickstand on the bike and dragged it - twice. This is not a "confidence inspiring" thing to do at speed. Also, the stock tires are NOT a good choice for track riding IMHO, get some softer skins. Ride safe everyone!

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Hey Greatlakes...good to hear your story. I've posted some pics in the thread called "FZ6 Racing" with knees dragging. I too drug my kickstand all day long and will be removing it for VIR next month. I'm not too concerned about the center stand until I find that I need to be. Great job and great post. Especially liked the part about the fast FZ in the advanced group. That is encouraging as I hope to be at that level some day. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey FAZR6, how ya' doin? I've been away from the board a while, and I've enjoyed a good many of your former posts. Thanks for the nod on this one, keep up the information on any interesting mods / track days etc... and I will do the same. It will be good to compare notes. I think you could probably count on one hand the number of our machines that are doing track days.

How are those R6 forks working for ya?

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
I'm hoping more FZ6's will start showing up at the track...more information to share. The R6 forks and brakes are working out extremely well. Now I'm looking into a different handlebar option that will allow me to get up on top of the front end more and get the chin up where it's suppose to be. I've installed some adjustable steering stops to take care of clearance issues and waiting on some new bars to come in. If it works out, I'll post up more information.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hey, welcome back greatlakes. I've got the racetech stuff in the front end, too. Have you noticed any mismatch between the front and back end now? I feel like the damping on the rear end is almost nonexistent compared to the front. But then again, I could just be overly sensitive.

Haven't been to a track day since reworking the fork, but I really really want to go again. Fun stuff!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know what you mean with the rear dampening. I'm 185 lbs. with all my track gear on, and I have the preload cranked all the way up to 7.
The preload feels good, but the rebound leaves a little to be desired. Overall, I'm very happy with it, and I personally don't think it's worth dumping the cash on a new shock. If your skill level had you "outriding" the factory shock, I'm sure I would have a different opinion.

Have fun with your new RaceTech set up! I continue to be very happy with mine.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Have any of you looked into cheaper alternatives? The SV guys would dig up GSXR shocks on eBay, then have a suspension shop spring/valve them to work on the SV. It would total about $400, good bit less than a quality aftermarket shock.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've pondered that idea. Besides just finding a shock that will fit the mounting points, I'm a little worried about the shop's ability to actually get it right for the FZ6. At the very least, I'd think it would be hard to take a shock designed for a linkage, and get it to work well on the FZ6 with no linkage. But then again, I don't know much about suspension. :)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Oh, if they know what they're doing, they can figure it out, don't worry about that. I would look at the other Yamaha shocks. Somebody has already rigged up an R6 shock, no? You would probably want one a bit longer than the stocker, but that's something you should discuss the the reputable suspension shop of your choice.

A few years ago these guys were doing a lot of SV/GSXR conversions, maybe float them the idea.

www.aftershocks-suspension.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
Me in Misano circuit!
8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts