Sport Bikes banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
yep. always assume that person waiting at the stop sign up ahead doesnt even see you.
honestly i havent ever had a problem distinguising between a bike with 2 lights up close and a car far off, and i have terrible depth perception at night. i am more likely to confuse a bike with one light and a car with a light burnt out (especially around here).

·
Registered
373 Posts
FZSilver said:
I like smitty's signiture "Ride like everyone else is crazy and out to kill you".
Well, this goes without a question. But yet I would like to add something technical to my bike for more assurance...
Let me throw an idea. I moded my lights to work the way they work in cars - 2 low-beams or 2 high-beams. What if I install one medium sized driving or fog light right under the front faring panel and hard wire it to low-beam.
Also, I think, modulator connected to this light would not be a bad thing.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
aplmv said:
Well, this goes without a question. But yet I would like to add something technical to my bike for more assurance...
Let me throw an idea. I moded my lights to work the way they work in cars - 2 low-beams or 2 high-beams. What if I install one medium sized driving or fog light right under the front faring panel and hard wire it to low-beam.
Also, I think, modulator connected to this light would not be a bad thing.

What do you think?
If you want more visability that sounds like it would be the way to go. The modulator would definatly get you some extra attention too. Any ideas you how would you go about mounting it to the bottom of the fairing? Just wondering.

·
Registered
373 Posts
FZSilver said:
Any ideas you how would you go about mounting it to the bottom of the fairing? Just wondering.

Yes, I'll post a pic to this thread as soon as I have it done.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
any close up pics of the mount

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hippie said:
any close up pics of the mount
It's two vertical screws going into the faring.... But I am not sure whether it was a good idea. I rode for about an hour after installation and ran the battery out. Of course 3 lams are more load than one, but still... The alternator is 310W. Three bulbs make 165 W, fuel injection, fuel pump, taillight are 70W + 30W + 5W. Altogether it makes 270W of load. Occasionally horn, turn signals and break. Still should not kill the battery. What am I calculating wrong??

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Say goodbye to your charging system. Regulator/Rectifier and stator will we working overtime and life span will drain quickly. You will have charging problems soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mod was a piece of cake - just do it!

:banana Thanks for the tips. I did the headlight mod today, and it was just as straight forward as you said. I was the green wire on my '07 FZ6 (USA). I did the splice down near where the wire bundle disappears into the frame, and I ran the wire from the light through the frame channel that runs up the middle, so you can see the mod at all. I used a clip-on splce connector so I didn't even have to cut the green wire. I stuck a pin in it and checked it with a meter to make sure it was the right wire to clip to.

Thanks, again. Your instructions were great. Now I think I'll upgrade the light bulbs like you suggested.
:beer
Cheers,
ecurb

·
Information Sponge
1,447 Posts
THIS THREAD LIVES! damn, this one just will not die....

First, a one year bump.

Now, an almost THREE YEAR bump! :banana:banana

Interesting read anyway. And to ad my .02, I like the idea of the 2 low, 2 high also, but would be weary of the ssues already listed.

:edit BTW, Ecurb; :twofinger <-- standard SBN greeting. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Does anyone know how to do the dual headlight mod so that both lights look the same. Most dual headlight mods I have seen one light is brighter than the other given that they use two different bulbs. I really like the idea of the dual headlight mod but not the look of them being different beam patterns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Making headlights look the same

I can't swear to this myself, but I read on another forum that the headlights look different because of the coated region on the right-hand bulb. It was suggested that you replace the bulbs with Xenon bulbs. I don't know if the bulbs that Yamaha supplies are coated in a specific way for a reason, but once you get the low beam working on right, you can definitely see that the coating on one side of the bulb blocks part of the light pattern.

Bottom line... you might try upgrading the bulbs to see if it improves the symmetry. Let me know if try it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got the parts for the dual-headlight mod. I'm adamant against chopping wires, so the trickiest part was locating a) the pin connector to fit into the harness to connect that 11th green + orange dots wire, and b) locating a 90deg h4 connector.

Found a trashed Honda at the wrecker today that had both :) Hacked off the H4 connector, and also took the other end from an internal wiring harness by the driver's left foot. Even came with a good 1m+ of wire! (I just hacked off the end instead of pulling the entire length out of the car lol) They were on 2 seperate wires though, so a little soldering was in order. $20 for the works. One of the wires in that harness was even Green with orange dots too :)

By keeping the RIGHT side only as dual-beam (I'm in North America) and not modifying the left, imho it makes that bulb more effective as a passing light.

Do it once, do it right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fz6 headlight mod

I have been considering changing the single filament bulb to an H4 so that when I run the new wires I will have 2 low beams and 2 high beams. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know a good reason why I should not do this?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have been considering changing the single filament bulb to an H4 so that when I run the new wires I will have 2 low beams and 2 high beams. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know a good reason why I should not do this?
that's what I did. No problems thus far, but some people will tell you you're going to ruin your charging system, etc...

·
Registered
28 Posts
As long as you're only running either the highs or the lows at a time and not both I can't see how it would hurt the charging system. It's only going to pull 5 watts more than stock. If you wire it up to have all four filaments lit for the high beams you're going to kill your battery quickly.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts