Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to remove the gas tank from my bike to get it repainted. Does the gas tank need to be empty to remove it from the bike? Or can there be fuel in it and it not leak?

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Removing the fuel pump is a big PITA. I just replaced my tank today and I had to cut/file the plastic extension used to arrest the movement of the pump in order to pull it out. It took me almost a hour to take the pump out.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
For painting, still I think its a good idea. Its really a bad idea to keep the pump as there is the delicate intake spout sticking out which makes it dangerous to place the tank on ground.

·
Mr Crash :(
5,284 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean... but I`ve had 2 tanks painted and both had the pump still in there :)

As long as you don't drop the tank on the fuel pump hose you're fine. I personally think the risks of breaking the pump are higher if you try to remove it from the tank (such a PITA), as opposed to leaving it in.

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
I'm wanting to remove the gas tank from my bike to get it repainted. Does the gas tank need to be empty to remove it from the bike? Or can there be fuel in it and it not leak?
Hey, I repainted mine last winter, and I think it makes sense to drain the tank first. To do a decent paint job you have to remove the whole filler-cap assembly, then mask over the whole so nothing gets in the tank. The whole job is easier with an empty tank.

I didn't remove my fuel pump from the tank though, I just placed a little bracing in there, taped around it to hold it tight, and went at it. No problems...

sIMG_0001.jpg

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
I think Yami designed it that way so that it is difficult to remove but I hate how delicate it is.

·
Mr Crash :(
5,284 Posts
:lol

The op's question is: does the tank need to be empty to take it off the bike

The answer is "no".

Once off the bike, it is better to drain the gas indeed... I just put it upside down on a bucket and let it drain, shaking it every once in a while.

Then go to paint.

If you feel like taking the fuel pump out (good luck!), then go for it. I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I agree. It is easier to manoevre the tank for painting if it is empty.

To protect the intake spout and other bits under the tank chop some hole in a polystyrene block and tape them over the delicate bits.

·
liquid cooled fool
743 Posts
Are you talking about this little tab on the pump ?

If so, it is possible to remove without breaking it off, but you need to do it slowly ... I tilted the pump back a little so I can fit a finger inside and gently push up on the tab while still holding (not pulling) the pump tilted. It will be a tight squeeze and it will rub but it should stay intact. HTH, JMHO, YMMV ... :)

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
I tried hard to bend it a little to squeeze out but it would not budge. So I just cut an angular microscopic piece from the end of that tab, but its a very important piece used to arrest the movement of the level measurement lever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info guys. My bike has about half a tank of gas so I'm praying that when I remove the three lines to the tank I'm not covered in gas. I'll let know how it goes. ;o)

·
Dirty Sanchez
1,180 Posts
i used needlenose pliers to slightly bend that tab out of the way. the pump then comes out real easy.
apor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tank Removed

I was able to remove the tank just fine. I had about a half tank of gas during the removal. Alittle gas came out the fuel line when it was detatched but other than that it worked out great.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone else feel that crouching on the bike with the tank feels very uncomfortable? I hate that it has a camel hump design and wish it had something a bit more gradual so that I could lay on it for longer trips.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Does anyone else feel that crouching on the bike with the tank feels very uncomfortable? I hate that it has a camel hump design and wish it had something a bit more gradual so that I could lay on it for longer trips.
No.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Nope. I find it quite comfortable.

If it bothers you, get a tank bag and stuff some clothes or something in it and rest on that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts