Sport Bikes banner

FZ6 Engine rattle

11K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  DeepBlue 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I just picked up a 2004 FZ6 with about 2100 miles on it. I just noticed a faint rattel coming from the engine. it goes away if I apply the clutch but comes back as soon as I let go of the clutch. the clutch lever also has some play in it. I was wondering if anyone else hears this type of noise and is the clutch lever supposed to have some play in it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Amar

#3 ·
yeah, my clutch does that in neutral, too. the clutch lever is supposed to have some play in it, as do all bikes.

#5 ·
The clutch lever should have a little freeplay. The specs according to the manual are 10 - 15mm or 0.39 - 0.59 inches. I think somebody has the service manual that you can download on here. Do a search. The manual tells you how to check and adjust clutch lever freeplay.

#7 ·
Yeah I have the same nosie, that rattling noise is coming from the clutch plates. When you have no load on the clutch them the disc float freely.

#8 ·
Hi everyone,

I hear a attling sound too. However I do not only hear it at neutral but when I am riding too. When I pull the clutch the sound goes away. When I release it,it is there again. When I stop after riding for a while the sound gets worse at neutral. If I turn off the engine let cool a bit and then turn it on most of the sound goes away. Are we talking about the same clutch sound? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Nikos

#10 ·
kimbo59 said:
my bike had a rattle too, until I found the small stone wedged between the engine and the header pipes- check ou the simple inexpensive things firts and you'll often get a nice surprise!

cheers ... kimbo

geesh kimbo... doing some off roading in the outback??? :lao

#11 ·
I've noticed this on my bike too, but it seems to ride fine so I haven't been too concerned. It's more of a light "clicking" sound, right? It seems to be coming from the front-end.

#12 ·
it's hard to describe, it could either be described as a rattle, dull clicking or humming sound. but the key thing is that it completely goes away when you apply the clutch and immediately comes back when the clutch is released. the logical explination would be is what someone mentioned about the clutch plate floating freely. guess my question is, is this something to be concerned about? if it's just a the nature of the bike, then fine. otherwise, what to do???

#13 ·
It should be something with the gear box or the clutch plates, because when you apply the clutch it completely disappears. However it seems to be natural for the bike since everyone I know that owns a fz6 has noticed it. I wonder however whether some of these sounds go away after the engine break in. I have only had 400km with my bike. I'll wait until about 2000km to see if anything changes.

#15 ·
Welcome to the bored (sic) amar67 and your sound is normal. as to is a bit of gearbox whine when you power hard.

It sounds like we are all talking about the same sound, as it goes away when you pull the clutch in.

Post us a picture of the bike if you are able and we can admire it's sexy lines :)

#16 ·
I haven't experienced this sound yet, but how relevant is the 04 manual in this thread to the 05? Obviously there are differences, but how big are they?

Also, any links to the 05 manual if the 04 isn't a good one to use? I have been looking online but haven't come up with much for the 05.

Thanks!

#17 ·
On the Yamaha website the 04 and 05 manuals have different part numbers. I highly doubt there is much if any difference between the two. But then again who knows since 04 was the first model year. They might have made changes to correct problems found with the first year bike. I'd be interested to know if there are any differences.

#18 ·
Back withe rattling issues again! I have noticed that the plastic cover of the front side of the radiator has quite a lot of free play and it is like that on other fz6's too. I suppose it is natural (?) but I wouldn't be surprised if it caused some rattling sounds. Has anyone anything to comment on that?

#19 ·
kdk1899 said:
geesh kimbo... doing some off roading in the outback??? :lao
funny you should ask, kdk. Yeah most likely but not exactly the outback. I've always believed that if a bike isn't capable of taking me where I want to go when I want to go then its time to get a new bike.

Anyways this weekend I was helping out some of the crew repairing a scout camp which is in National Park but the region has predominantly sugar-cane. So it was dusk when I was leaving and I take a wrong turn between sugarcane blocks. A few hundred metres up the track and the mud is getting quite rutted and about 150mm or 6" deep- luckily I could feel there was a pretty hard bottom. Anyway I am standing up on the pegs with my 6'1" frame half crouched wishishing for a 21" front wheel and knobby tyres- but I made the last 800m and only had to put a foot down once!

Steady throttle control was the order of the day

It wasn't much fun having to wash the bike down in the dark and well after beer o'clock- have also had to give the chain an good rinse in kero and a BelRay

you gotta love this bike

cheers ... kimbo

#20 ·
I notice this sound on my FZ6, too. I've got an 04 with 25k miles on it, so it's definitely not related to break-in. I'm slightly concerned about it, but it's made the sound since I bought it used back in May.

Changing the oil and filter last month seemed to quiet the sound slightly, but now, three weeks later, it's right back to where it was. Just checked the oil last night... it's clean and full.

I'd call it something between a rattle and a "clicking." It makes me think of what it sounds like when kids put playing cards in the spokes of their bicycles... clickclickclickclickclick. I'm pretty sure the frequency of clicks is directly related to RPM. I'll be the first to admit I know nothing of engines, but I'd swear it's a gearbox thing. It's mainly irritating because I don't know what it is. The bike performs well, isn't leaking anything, and gets 50+ mpg, so I don't think anything is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.