Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went up to a cabin that required me to go down a dirt road. All was going fine until i saw mud up ahead. My first reaction was fu**. But then i figured, what the hell, lets give it a go. I went back to my dirt bike days, and realized that its the same, except the Fazer slides out a lot easier. I hit the first patch, no slide, second i slid a little, and to clear a huge, deep puddle i had to force a slide. all i can say is, i am impressed. the balance was good through the slide and it never felt like it was getting away from me.
so, this proves that our bike has yet another function, off-road tourer.

BTW, if anyone wants to do this i would recommend off-road tuned suspension(the bumps hurt the butt a little) and slightly more knobby tires(if they make them, otherwise, get ready for sliding).

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've had to go down a few dirt roads on the fazer, and she handled just fine. A lot better than my dad's cruisers ever did. I don't know if my pilot powers would like the dirt, though.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I for one, am not going to try this out, if for no other reason than my bike is too pretty to get dirty. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live about 4 miles off the pavement and the fz6 handles just fine on gravel roads. I wouldnt go over 20mph though. Above that and It feels a little risky.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I took my 6 straight up a beat up gravel road about a half mile long up in Catskill Mountains. It climed easily and road down without any trouble. I took a chance and was pretty surprised how well it rode.

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
I caught a tv show a while back where this guy rode around the world or on all 7 continents on a R1. They had video of him going through the jungle crossing through 2 feet of water. When he got to the other side he revved the motor and a gallon of water came out of his pipe. It was a previous model without the undertail exhaust.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Binary Jay said:
I for one, am not going to try this out, if for no other reason than my bike is too pretty to get dirty. :)

i wish i would have taken pictures before i washed it, imagine mud, all under the exhaust, hugger covered, radiator covered, my back covered, the seat, brake lights, exhaust pipes. well, you get the point, not much of my bike was dirt free when i got home.
my driveway now has a layer of dirt where my bike was sitting. haha.

Jay, it is a lot of fun, you should try it once.

DISCLAIMER: if anyone goes down while trying this, it is not my fault, i am sorry if you, or your bike get injured while performing these stunts. only try if you really know your bike.

·
On 2 wheels...
209 Posts
I just sold my XR650L enduro bike because I was sick of spending hours and hours cleaning and maintaining it after every off-road ride. Wash, dry, lube the chain, clean and oil the air filter, change the oil after every couple of rides...

Besides I agree w/ Jay. The FZ is too pretty to get dirty...

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I myself will not try this. An over 400 lbs. dirt bike that has a seat height exactly to my inseam can spell trouble for me.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
segue00 said:
I myself will not try this. An over 400 lbs. dirt bike that has a seat height exactly to my inseam can spell trouble for me.
that could be bad, ive got a couple extra inches. not saying that i'd like to do it on a daily basis, once is enough, just for the experience

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have also taken it over gravel and mud roads. Easy enough when going slow and smooth, standing up on the pegs.

Sure was dirty afterwards, but was cleaned after only minutes under the garden hose.

I have picked up a number of small cuts on the rubber from sharp stones - beware!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hooray for the limit pushers

May I recommend this FZ for your future off road/on road adventures. I'd give my right nut for one of these. I have a 2000 DRZ 400 that I just love for diving off the pavement, and trying to keep up with my son on his dirt bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
gotta get your syntax straight

Not "dirt bike", we ride FZ6's, must be Euro trendy, the term is......... "Super Motard"

Yeah Baby! Yeah

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Epee said:
Not "dirt bike", we ride FZ6's, must be Euro trendy, the term is......... "Super Motard"

Yeah Baby! Yeah
hahaha-- ok, I'll buy that. Don't you think the headers on that motard is super low?--- Ask a Masshole to be euro trendy, that's the best you will get!:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I live a mile down a gravel road so every time I ride my bike I have to cover atleast 2miles of gravel. The FZ6 surprisingly handles it much better then my Suzuki Marauder 800 did. I average about 50mph on the gravel and it is quite stable. Never thought of it as a dirt bike though. Might have to try that right before I sell it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 8 miles of gravel each way to and from work and I was supprised too at how stable the bike was. The two things to avoid are eastern Montana gumbo after a rain (slick as hell). And wait at least a week after the local county road grader has been over the road (real loose gravel is not fun). Both of these come from first hand experience. As far as the dirt goes I wash it down with the hose at night and its as pretty as usual in the morning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Last year I took my FZ6 over Skalkaho pass in Montana. 40 miles of dirt road over the mountain up to about 8,000 feet elevation at the top. The FZ6 did just fine, just had to watch the acceleration especially. Every once in a while iI got a little over confident and put the back end into a slide. The guys in the bar at Phillipsburg couldn't believe I took my bike over that pass but it was really not a problem at all. My only worry was running over one of those sharp rocks that fall off the side of the mountain and getting a flat tire 20 miles from the nearest paved road.

Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts