Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha says they have improved the fairing, swingarm and fuel injection for 2007. Does anyone have experience with both model years and can describe if the differences are noticeable while riding? There are several great deals on 2006's right now...

·
Registered
86 Posts
They didn't improve the fairing, they just changed it. I think the old one offered a little better protection, while the new one is a bit sportier. The swing arm is better looking but the ride is very similar. I rode the 06 for 8k miles up until it got stolen last Oct, right now the 07 does feel more powerful in the mid-range but I'm betting it's the colder temps and not the FI. One thing they did is put the mirrors a little wider so you aren't looking at your elbows.

I do want to say that I have less than 400 miles on the 07 so I haven't beat the hell out of it .....yet.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Didn't Yamaha increase the size of the radiator on the 07 as well? Supposedly the seat is better suited for touring as well. I've never had a problem with my 04 but I guess some folks have found the stock seat uncomfortable.

·
Diver Down
810 Posts
Last year at this time, I had to make that choice between the 05 and 06. Difference then was that there were no real changes other than color, so I got the 05. I haven't seen the 07 yet, but from what I've read, there are some actual improvements this time. I really like the new instrument panel. I doubt the new fuel injection tweaks would really matter all that much. You'll get used to whatever you buy just like everyone else who has a pre-07 and still loves the bike. In the end though, you're just going to have to decide for yourself if you want to spend the extra money on an 07. IMHO, if there is a significant price difference, get the 06. You'll love whatever one you choose, so you may as well get the 06 and use the savings to do some mods, like a Corbin seat and some frame sliders, for example. If the money doesn't mean that much to you, get the new one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got to check out the 07 at the Detroit Motorcycle Show, and it was pretty nice. The seat is definitely more padded, and I like the fairing changes. The swing-arm didn't seem drastically different, but side by side the differences would be obvious. I like the 07 mirrors because they are easier to take off for the track.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
'07 has a one-piece rather than multi-piece fairing. I like the new swingarm better, less boxy. The seat is nearly the same unless you buy it in Europe where it appears to have a Corbin style seat. The '07 has less horse power with the new map.

If I could have an '07 with a pre-'07 fairing, I'd take it. :lol

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
i feel the same way^^^ if i could have an 07 with the 06 fairing i would... also i sat on it at the dealer and then the 06 and i could not tell any difference what so ever in the seats here... europe may be a different story but i do not think they did a thing to them... but the new swingarm, tach, and other small goodies make it nice i.e. the helmet lock, the radiator cap being exposed, the removable passenger pegs, and the touched up new paint scheme...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the '07 and am quite happy with it. I like the instrument panel compared to the old, but again that is just personal preference. I was worried about the windshield being less protective, but I have to say it does keep most of the wind off me even a hiway speeds. The seat is also very comfortable to me. Ive taken several 3hr rides with no problem, and that was one thing that really worried me about the older model...from listening to all the seat complaints. that's my 2cents.

·
NOT SURE
1,003 Posts
fz6innh said:
'07 has a one-piece rather than multi-piece fairing. I like the new swingarm better, less boxy. The seat is nearly the same unless you buy it in Europe where it appears to have a Corbin style seat. The '07 has less horse power with the new map.

If I could have an '07 with a pre-'07 fairing, I'd take it. :lol
Someone posted a Dyno run from an '04 v '07 that showed the '07 to have a slight BHP edge - I'll try to find it.

·
FZ6
10 Posts
It would be intresting to compare fuel compsumption to see if Yamaha have increased fueling 'a la' power commander to address the poor fuelling on the '04 model

·
Sidehacker Extraordinaire
2,305 Posts
How slight are we talking? +- 3 hp peak is pretty meaningless from two different dynos, it's well within measurement error and variances of the testing equipment.

If I were Yamaha, I'd change the fueling and clutch with a placebo effect. You know, don't actually do anything, just tell people it's new and improved. It'd be funny reading all the reviews saying how much better it is.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
i think i saw somewhere where they did a comparison to the 06 model and the 07 where the 06 rated at 96.something bhp and the 07 was at 92-93 due to the FI adjustments that they made to smooth out the throttle on the new 07 so you are talking about a 4hp difference at best... but i havent heard anything about them getting better fuel economy on the new 07 compared to the 06...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
FZ6 Dude said:
i think i saw somewhere where they did a comparison to the 06 model and the 07 where the 06 rated at 96.something bhp and the 07 was at 92-93 due to the FI adjustments that they made to smooth out the throttle on the new 07 so you are talking about a 4hp difference at best... but i havent heard anything about them getting better fuel economy on the new 07 compared to the 06...
I remember reading the same thing, hence my comments above. I'm just having a hard time finding that story to back myself up. Glad you read it too!

-Eric

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
someone posted it here on the forums that was off of a yamaha endorsed website so im sure it wasnt BS...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts