Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i might be in the market for a new bike again.....2 choices

2002 Bandit 1200S....has nice aftermarket pipe, LOW mileage, jet kit, fender eliminator, and a few other little goodies....very sharp looking bike....its probably THE definition of "mint"

2003 FZ1....has some slight fairing damage from being laid down, basically no extras/aftermarket parts, and has higher mileage than the bandit, but still low mileage for its age

For the same price, which would you get? Also, from the research Ive done, the FZ1 has about 20-30% more horsepower than the bandit....that sound right?

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
I'd have the FZ.
I had a 1200s (01) and it was a perfectly good bike. Just boring. Very comfy, fast enough, but handled like a pig and imo looked a bit like one too.
Don't get me wrong, the bandit is a reliable, capable, comfortable, and rapid machine with great tuning potential, but it left me feeling bored and cold.
I'd wished I'd kept the sv650s I'd traded for it.
As such I sold the B12s after 6k miles for a Aprilia.
I imagine the Fz is similar to the B12, very good at what it does, but a bit boring (jsut less so than the B12)....You sure this is the type of bike you want?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got an '02 bandit and have a buddy w/ an 02 fz. The yammy is a little faster but both bikes feel very similar when riding in terms of comfort. The Bandit gets into its sweet spot way lower on the tach than the FZ and actually behaves similar to a V-Twin in terms of its low powerband and torquey (sp) nature. The FZ feels more like a supersport wrt power delivery, sluggish down low but taking off like a rocket at the top of the tach. 20-30% is probably a decent estimate but a little bit of a stretch for the hp though. Bandit is somewhere around 100-105 with 70-75 ft lbs and the Fz is around 120 with around 70 ft lbs of torque (both stock). Depending on what kit and pipe is on that bandit it may actually have more smoke than the stock FZ b/c bandits pick up a little more performance from mods than the FZ due to the nature of its motor.

I'm way faster on my bike in the turns than when I'm on his but this is probably mostly due to comfort level. The bikes handle very similar although most people would probably prefer the lighter feeling the Fz has when its leaned over over the bandit. I have no problem ripping around and having a good time on my bandit though dropping the pegs on the asphalt every now and then so I'd say just try to take both of them for a ride and then decide.

Sport-standards are my favorite types of bikes just because they are so much more comfortable than the supersports and if you're a big guy trying to ride distance, it's just nice to be able to stretch out a bit. If you're more into the aggressive seating and superlight feel of the supersports you'd be better off to stay away from these two, though as they are really a whole different animal.

Also FYI, if you're going to get the bandit, check out its VIN first and make sure it was not in the range of early second gen bandits that were fitted with improper pistons that burn oil. It's not a big deal but you don't want to pay top dolar for something that seeps oil into the cylinder making you have to top it off every couple hundred miles...

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Of those 2, the FZ. I'll save you all the other bikes that always get thrown out there in these kind of threads. You asked which one, so I'll leave it at that.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
I bleed Yamaha, so I say FZ1 (I also want it as my next bike). FZ1 has what, 145 crank HP? Regardless, it's just a de-tuned R1 motor so a few parts swapped (namely ECU, cams, maybe injectors) and you'd have an R1 in a standard bike which to me = win.

I was also at a Dino day and a guy had a worked 1200 Bandit engine, all sorts of goodies on it. Full Exhuast, intake mods, tuned, etc... and even on racing gas (waste of money IMO) he managed a scant 107 WHP at 170 degree motor temperature. I did 117 WHP on 145 motor temp. I doubt you'd be making a track/race bike out of it, I just wanted to mention my observations.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I imagine the Fz is similar to the B12, very good at what it does, but a bit boring (jsut less so than the B12)....You sure this is the type of bike you want?
FZ1 boring? You mean as long as you don't crack the throttle more than half way? I've ridden my old man's '04 FZ1 and anything over 8k on the tach had my life flashing before my eyes. :lol :dblthumb

To answer the original question, it sounds like it's a choice between high end power and useable mid-range power. The FZ1 is also little more sporty and "agressive", while the Bandit is a little more comfortable. As a rider, it's a close call imo. My wife (as a passenger) however, prefers the Bandit's passenger seat comfort over that of the FZ1 quite a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bandit (jets, pipe, timing advancer) dynoed at 112 wheel horsepower. It handles a little heavier, sure, but man is it a rocket. Personally I wouldn't want the FZ1's flacid low end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts