Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I¨m looking to buy a FZ6 or a FZ1. I can´t seem to find a used FZ 6 in Florida in Silver, so I´m thinking of a used FZ 1 - 2002 or 2003- . I´m 6´1 , 200 lbs with 6 months of riding experience on an old Ninja 600. I will use the bike mainly in the city and weekends in the twisty hills outside. Is the FZ 1 too much of a bike for daily city driving and my experience?

Thanks for your time,

Kevin

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought a 05 FZ6 and I absalutely love the bike it defiitely doesn't have the Crazy FZ1 engine but it definitely gets up and goes the fz6 has a 3.2 0-60 and a 11.2 quarter ile for me thats enough I loce the bike and both are great I think the stying on the FZ6 is much nicer though underseat exhuast is great but expensive to upgrade the FZ6 will be quiker then your ninja because the FZ is fuel injected it. If iw as you I'd get the 6 just because its a little more all around but the FZ series is great either bike will suit your needs fine.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I use my FZ6 substantially as a weekday commuter, then sporting around on weekends.

As a commuter, the FZ6 might be better because: FI allows off and running without warming up the engine, lighter weight makes it more nimble in city traffic and streets, smaller engine has better fuel economy.

FZ1 is a very good bike also; it is just different.

·
Registered
98 Posts
skeleton said:
FI allows off and running without warming up the engine
Er - I still warm my bike up even though it's FI. The main point of warming it up is to get the oil heated up to its optimum temperature - nowt to do with the choke....?

We have done this argument to death on the UK site - the crux of it is: The Fazer thousand (FZ1 for you guys) has oodles of torque and a seriously quick motor, whereas the Fazer 6 (FZ6) is light and quite buzzy. Best thing you can do is to get out on a test drive on both of them and take your pick. I'm 6' and heavier than you and I own an FZ6 and love it. With your experience it may be better for you to go for the 6 as the power delivery is very predictable and not seriously sudden. Crack the throttle open wide on the 6 and it will be up and away in a controllable manner - the FZ1 will probably chuck you off the back if you're not careful!

Have a look at the UK board and see what they say here

Bear in mind this thread started off a couple of years ago so the latter posts will pertain to the newer bike!
S

·
VIP Mofo
157 Posts
Stunts said:
Er - I still warm my bike up even though it's FI. The main point of warming it up is to get the oil heated up to its optimum temperature - nowt to do with the choke....?

The egine warms up real fast. I usually start it, back it out of the garage, and let it sit while I put my gear on. By the time I'm finished putting on my helmet, gloves, and jacket, it's warm.

·
FSRA Member
94 Posts
Get a quote on the insurance before you decide. It was a major influence for me. Also, a new FZ6 can be had for the price of a used FZ1 in good condition. After riding both, I personally thought the middleweight FZ6 had a higher 'fun factor' because it handled lighter and you don't have to modulate the throttle as accurately to keep yourself out of trouble. The FZ1 has a LOT of motor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I looked at both bikes before I bought my FZ6. I have been very happy with it and don't miss the extra power of the FZ1 and now I know I don't need it. One thing to consider between the two is your insurace cost. Many insurance companies charge for bikes based on engine size. Depending on your company it can be a HUGE difference between a 600cc bike and 1000cc. It absolutely pays to check before you purchase. You could be shocked by the difference.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
You'll have a tough time finding a used 6 just because they only came to the states last year, and very few people have let go of them.

If you've only got 6 months experience, I'd go with the 6 and wait a few more years for the 1. You have to make the 6 go (run at high revs for the most power), whereas the 1 will do it without thinking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an FZ6 and my buddy who I ride with all the time has an FZ1. I'm an inexperienced rider (I bought the FZ6 early last year after starting riding halfway through the previous season) , so I opted for the smaller engined FZ6. My buddy has been riding for about 9 years and bought the FZ1 two years ago. He previously had ridden a Seca II which has a 600cc engine.

My buddy complains a lot that the FZ1 is a pig. He thinks it is harder to lean over than both his old Seca and my FZ6. The FZ1 is definitely heavier and physically b*****. I don't know if there are some geometry adjustments that could be made to give a quicker turn in feel to the FZ1, but it seems that in a stock configuration the heavier bike feels harder to turn.

On the street, if we're merging into traffic where we're on the throttle hard, I can usually keep up with him. So even though the FZ1 has more power, it seems the weight difference makes up for it a little.

He definitley has to let his bike run a little and set the choke, etc. to get it started. When I've ridden his bike, I 've had problems with it just stalling at idle if it is not completely warmed up. I only stall the FZ6 if I am careless with the clutch, and I can't remember a time when it did not start on the first try.

Both bikes' riding positions are pretty similar - high handle bars, a comfortable seat, and enough leg room for a six footer+. I wouldn't be concerned about the commuting ergos for either bike.

On the track, the FZ1 is a beast. Most guys we ride with in the beginner classes are on sixes (GSX-Rs, R6s, CBRs, etc) and the FZ1 just smokes them in the straights. Also relevant, the stock suspension on the FZ1 is more adjustable.

Lastly, the FZ6 just looks better. The two piece cast aluminum frame has a real high tech appeal and the underseat exhaust really catches the eye. The FZ1's styling is a bit out of date (imho).

·
Registered
98 Posts
tjeepdrv said:
The egine warms up real fast. I usually start it, back it out of the garage, and let it sit while I put my gear on. By the time I'm finished putting on my helmet, gloves, and jacket, it's warm.
:eek:nfloor dude - you're in Arizona - the bike's warm before you open the garage door! :lao

That said, in cold and windy Blighty I have to let mine warm up for 2 - 3 minutes at idle before riding it gently for the first mile or so. My last bike had to idle for at least 7 minutes before I could risk riding it - Single cylinder, very temperamental when cold and prone to big end damage!

Kpetrey - I think that (if you haven't already) you should ask a few FZ1 owners too. On both sites there will be people who are very biased toward the vehicle they are riding at the moment - it's very tricky to get an objective viewpoint really..... just get out there and ride one of each!
S

·
Registered
146 Posts
Stunts said:
Er - I still warm my bike up even though it's FI. The main point of warming it up is to get the oil heated up to its optimum temperature
The engine will warm up faster and more efficiently if you ride it easy. At 28 degrees running 20w50 full synthetic I start the bike and 10 seconds later I am riding. In 100 plus degree weather I do the same. On the Harley, which has a carb, enrichner and 15w50 full synthetic I do the same. Letting the Harley sit to warm up only loads thing up. Ride it easy for the first couple of miles and there will never be a problem.

Yeah, I like the FZ6 and didn't even look at the FZ1, which is too old school for me.

Hawk

·
Registered
98 Posts
tjeepdrv said:
Close, I'm in Arkansas ;)

:rolleyes D'oh! :bitchslap Can you tell I'm a Brit - should have checked it out before making a fool of myself..... I'll get me coat.
S

·
Speedbump
226 Posts
Stunts said:
:rolleyes D'oh! :bitchslap Can you tell I'm a Brit - should have checked it out before making a fool of myself..... I'll get me coat.
S
Your American geography is probably much better than most of our British geography. :)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Bill_B said:
Your American geography is probably much better than most of our British geography. :)
Hell, it's probably better than most Americans' geography of America!

We're an ignorant bunch.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've had experience here

Friend of mine kept their FZ1 in my garage and said, "ride it anytime" I kept it hot for two weekends. Everytime I looked down on the backroads the speedometer was at 150? Poor self control! I'm a "eat it all, use it up, wear it out" kinda guy. The power of the FZ1 is more than you need. The FZ6 is more than your or my skills are capable of (I could use a track day). Sure the suspension is lack luster........ But capable of more than anyone short of racers are going to be able to ask of it. I can drag pegs, accelerate with the best of them. Only situation that I would like a 1000cc under me is on the longer straights were stupidity reigns up to the "kill u yesterday speeds" of 150+mph. The FZ6 is today, current, looks amazing, gets looked at as high tech. The FZ1 is over due for a major technology overhaul. What the hell are people doing buying carburated bikes in 2005? Undertail exhaust is just sweet as hell! Major factor for me, with an awful driving record, insurance. The FZ6 is soooo easy to own, I'm on it alllll the time and it's just loads of fun and I'm proud of it in a group of bikes. I've got the laser exh. on mine and several dress up mods, and she gets oogled by everyone. Ohh, I'm over 20,000 miles on mine so I've had time to get to know this bike. I've got three other bikes that are totally ignored because I own an FZ6. Long post, gotta go for a ride!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Epee said:
The FZ6 is more than your or my skills are capable of (I could use a track day). Sure the suspension is lack luster........ But capable of more than anyone short of racers are going to be able to ask of it.
Although I agree with the gist of what you're saying here, that the suspension is good enough for track riding, I would like to be able to tighten mine up. On a rough track the front end feels a little squirly. However, the R6 front fork mod posted on this forum is going to give me the adjustability I'm looking for. I've aquired all the parts needed for about $300 (mostly on e-Bay), which isn't too bad considering the FZ6 is $2-3k less than bikes that come with adjustable forks.

Anyway, I think the adjustable fork will allow for a more confident feel on the track even if I don't absolutley need it.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
plebar said:
Although I agree with the gist of what you're saying here, that the suspension is good enough for track riding, I would like to be able to tighten mine up. On a rough track the front end feels a little squirly. However, the R6 front fork mod posted on this forum is going to give me the adjustability I'm looking for. I've aquired all the parts needed for about $300 (mostly on e-Bay), which isn't too bad considering the FZ6 is $2-3k less than bikes that come with adjustable forks.

Anyway, I think the adjustable fork will allow for a more confident feel on the track even if I don't absolutley need it.
What he's saying though is that it's fine for street riding, but subpar for the track.

·
Registered
32 Posts
04Fizzer said:
What he's saying though is that it's fine for street riding, but subpar for the track.
I agree with how you put it as long as you are still talking suspension and not the entire bike. Overall, I'm still having a blast with a stock FZ6 on the track and on the street.

Getting back to the main point of the thread, the FZ6 is good at all things (track, street, commuting, touring) but not great at any one thing. The same is really true of the FZ1 though, so you need to consider all the pros and cons of the two bikes raised here and decide which are most important.

Fortunately, both bikes come in the faster blue color, so you won't have to compromise on that issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts