Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a new FZ6 at a dealer 700mi from my city I would like to buy. Any reccomendations on breaking it in since I have to travel 700mi on the highway back home? Has anyone found a FZ 6 new in Florida for a fair price? The best I found is a dealer in NC selling one for $5900.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Or trailer it home...

·
SWIFT M5
117 Posts
I agree with trailering it. I rented a 5x8 open trailer and used a friends Dodge Caravan. Hey! What ever works right? You need to buy some rachet straps and strap extentions to tie around your hand grips. Oh dont forget to ask to throw in a free helmet too.

Good Luck!

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
I think you can get up to 80mph and be within the break-in rpm range. As others have said though, you'll have to vary your rpms the whole trip. That would be annoying on such a long ride. Surely you can find one closer to home. With the way dealers are, and from past experience, I wouldn't be surprised if you got all the way up there and the price "magically" changed. They've got the upper hand... you travelled 700 miles to get the thing, you are going to be much less likely to walk out on them. I've seen it happen many times. For the amount of hassle (and risk), it is not worth the savings to get one from that far away. Personally, the only way I would do it, is if I had a relative in the area who could do the deal for me, and arrange to have it shipped (shipping isn't all that much).

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Seal the deal with a credit card over the phone then pay the card off w/ the cash?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I wouldn't buy from a place so far from home, you're asking for many hassles down the road. Pay a little bit more to get it from a quality shop nearby.

My dealership is less than a 5 minute ride away from my home on a main road, I love being able to just drive up and bug them about every little thing.

P.S. Hippie is right, I don't think I've ever had a *good* excuse to leave the break-in RPM range in normal riding yet. I really haven't been overly conscious of the RPMs around town, though, if it goes to 7000+ for a couple of seconds while you wheelie away from a light I don't think it's going to explode underneath you. :)

I think they set the rules very conservatively to scare the squids from running it at redline the whole way home from the dealer.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You will be done with breakin before you even get it back to your house......and 100 miles over your first oil change. If you have to buy it there just trailer it back.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Trailer it home, get used to it and how it handles on your own pace instead of being forced to bang it home on the highway @ at constant 7K RPM...

Although, there are some out there that say the proper way to break in a bike it to slam it for 1000 miles...

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
After 600mi, you guys figure the highway cruising is probably alright? Should be able to keep it under the post-600mi RPM from the manual at highway speeds just fine.... I figure at this point, whatever damage you could do by running at constant RPM for any amount of time has probably been avoided. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I say ride it like the wind! Just vary your rpm often and stay away from the red line. Do first maintainance as soon as you get home.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
WISPER said:
You will be done with breakin before you even get it back to your house......and 100 miles over your first oil change. If you have to buy it there just trailer it back.
Actually, depending on which theories you subscribe to, I'd say he'd be a good 600 miles over due for his first oil change!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I don't fully subscribe to everything the guy says, but I do believe in and follow the break-in oil changes that he describes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts