Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The specs for the FZ say it has a 5.1 gallon gas tank. the manual says that the reserve function (blinking fuel gauge, trip meter) activates after 3.6 gallons are used. so given a good average economy of 50 mpg, that 1.5 gallons thats left should get us 75 miles or so.
well 40 miles into the trip meter, i found out the hard way that that isnt true! after a nice brisk walk (with the bike tagging along) about a 1/2 mile on the shoulder of the interstate to the next exit and a gas station, i filled the tank to the top. and suddenly 5.1 gallons becomes 4.56, since thats what it took to fill it.
I didnt realize that gas tank sizes also suffered from inflated marketing numbers too. or else i didnt pay attention in math class.
but like i said, just a bit of an FYI :) and a :upyours to those fine folks at Yamaha
But i still love my FZ :cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hence my tendency to start looking for a gas station when I hit the last bar before the bottom of the gauge. ;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
phxtravis said:
probably 5.1 gallons minus the fuel pump assembly.
Hum .... good point you bring up. Never even thought of that one.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Come to think of it i've never put more than 3.9 gallons in it...ever. And thats on the last bar of the gauge.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
xrattiracer said:
the manual says that the reserve function (blinking fuel gauge, trip meter) activates after 3.6 gallons are used. so given a good average economy of 50 mpg, that 1.5 gallons thats left should get us 75 miles or so.
well 40 miles into the trip meter, i found out the hard way that that isnt true!
Where in the manual does it say that the bottom fuel gauge bar starts blinking after 3.6 gallons are used?? I looked and found on page 3-4 that "When approximately 3.6L (0.95 US gal) of fuel remain in the fuel tank, the bottom segment of the fuel meter will start flashing". So that would mean you only have about 40-50 miles left before you stall out.
So according to the manual what happened was just about right .... well it was wrong just right mathmatically.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
WISPER said:
Come to think of it i've never put more than 3.9 gallons in it...ever. And thats on the last bar of the gauge.
I usually put a little over 4 gallons in. That's usually about 10 miles into the reserve.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I hit reserve around 4.1 gallons. The most I've ever filled was around 4.4 gallons. never had it stall on me ::knocks on wood::

·
Registered
341 Posts
i thought it had 4.3 gallons

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
the tank is 5.1 american gallons, reserve is .95 american gallons. therefore there are 4.1 gallons before you hit reserve, assuming it is all the way full and you did not top off. this is all in the manual that comes with the bike. it was raining one day and i read the whole thing, cover to cover, don't ask(it can get really boring in my hometown).

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
the tank is 5.1 american gallons, reserve is .95 american gallons. therefore there are 4.1 gallons before you hit reserve, assuming it is all the way full and you did not top off. this is all in the manual that comes with the bike. it was raining one day and i read the whole thing, cover to cover, don't ask(it can get really boring in my hometown).
It's a pretty good crapper read too.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
ive got my psp for the crapper

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
greatzippy said:
Where in the manual does it say that the bottom fuel gauge bar starts blinking after 3.6 gallons are used?? I looked and found on page 3-4 that "When approximately 3.6L (0.95 US gal) of fuel remain in the fuel tank, the bottom segment of the fuel meter will start flashing". So that would mean you only have about 40-50 miles left before you stall out.
So according to the manual what happened was just about right .... well it was wrong just right mathmatically.
As always..
Zippy is correct!

·
Registered
360 Posts
there was a "when do we run out"? thread before

can't recall when?

Here's my experience.

I had read all the 38miles, 40.2miles, blah, blah. It's like all these people that get over 8,000 miles out of a rear tire? Better self control than I?

I was pushing it to find out, and find out I did at 32.1 miles. The next two tenths were pushing! If you ride hard at all (WOT frequently) be at the pumps prior to 30 flashing and you should be golden.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts