Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Lilongwe, Malawi (tiny country in southern Africa), I am planning on buying my first motorcycle by the end of next year. I have done my research and I have decided to buy a 600cc sportbike. I'm set on the Japanese bikes (CBR600RR, GSXR600, ZX6R, R6). I have read up on starter bikes and taken note of all the recommendations, I have also spoken to experienced motorcyclists. I understand the need to respect the motorcycle and know my limits, also I know that motorcycle gear is essential.

I would like to know what regular service needs to be done on these motorcycles and after how long should I expect to service the motorcycle. I would appreciate any estimations on how much it would cost to get the service done (in US Dollars please). Please include the prices for the items that need to be replaced as for installing the items I have a cousin who works at a motorcycle dealership and he will help me. Hopefully in time i will be able to service the bike on my own.

Lastly, I have found a couple of websites that sell sportbikes (some overseas and some in South Africa) but i would also like some of your recommendations. Is buying a repossessed sportbike a good idea if so do you know any good sites? I am willing to pay for shipping.

Looking forward to hearing from you all, thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I live in Lilongwe, Malawi (tiny country in southern Africa), I am planning on buying my first motorcycle by the end of next year. I have done my research and I have decided to buy a 600cc sportbike. I'm set on the Japanese bikes (CBR600RR, GSXR600, ZX6R, R6). I have read up on starter bikes and taken note of all the recommendations, I have also spoken to experienced motorcyclists. I understand the need to respect the motorcycle and know my limits, also I know that motorcycle gear is essential.

I would like to know what regular service needs to be done on these motorcycles and after how long should I expect to service the motorcycle. I would appreciate any estimations on how much it would cost to get the service done (in US Dollars please). Please include the prices for the items that need to be replaced as for installing the items I have a cousin who works at a motorcycle dealership and he will help me. Hopefully in time i will be able to service the bike on my own.

Lastly, I have found a couple of websites that sell sportbikes (some overseas and some in South Africa) but i would also like some of your recommendations. Is buying a repossessed sportbike a good idea if so do you know any good sites? I am willing to pay for shipping.

Looking forward to hearing from you all, thank you.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Welcome to SBN. There is no need for duplicate threads in multiple subforums. Threads merged.

·
Registered
205 Posts
These prices will all be dependent on shipping costs and what local mechanics charge. All I can say, for certain, is you will more than likely save money, and take more care if you do the service yourself.

As for the getting the 600, it is not a good choice. The bike doesn't care about respect it cares about what you tell it to do. A beginner can make a mistake causing the bike to react unexpectedly.. this is amplified on SS bikes. Also seeing as you will have to order parts in if anything goes wrong. I would suggest not going with SS bikes but rather going with a much more sturdy bike possibly an ADV style bike. If anything try and buy a cheap motorcycle to learn on locally before investing in bring a bike to you.

I would suggest looking at dealers in South Africa, or Mozambique and then either driving the bike back or having it shipped via railway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The maintenance requirements will be in the service manual. No matter how much you say you will respect it, eventually your curiosity will have you cracking the throttle open, and on the newer 600s...you better be prepared when you do. I would try to start on something that allows you to practice good throttle control that allows some room for mistakes, because you will make them. Until you have been on a super sport you can't appreciate how powerful they truly are. I am happy I started on a 250 because it taught me the basics. If I had started on my current bike I would have probably dropped it like most of my friends who just had to have a SS for there first bike.

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
I live in Lilongwe, Malawi (tiny country in southern Africa), I am planning on buying my first motorcycle by the end of next year. I have done my research and I have decided to buy a 600cc sportbike. I'm set on the Japanese bikes (CBR600RR, GSXR600, ZX6R, R6).
my opinion is that you haven't done enough research if you're planning on buying a super sport as your very first bike. keep researching until you plan on a more practical first bike...

s3aturnr

Reactions: DCNinja
1 - 10 of 10 Posts