Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have issues shifting from a stop into first and having the tranny either grind or kick pretty hard? It usually only happens to me when I first start the bike in nuetral. I let it warm up for about a minute then pull in the clutch and drop it into first. Sometimes it shifts fine, but other times it either makes a grinding noise or will lurch a couple inches with a hard engagement. I must also add that I usually wheel the bike out from my garage in neutral about 20 feet or so. Any ideas???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yea, I get the lurch when I shift into first from neutral. I think it's just something that happens with a constant mesh transmission. I try not to take it out of first if I don't have to, but some times I've gotta massage my right hand at a long light.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yep, sounds pretty normal to me too. Another percieved "problem" that actually isn't, is sometimes the tranny won't want to shift into 1st when stopped and in neutral. The F4i and RC I've had both did this, sometimes they need a little bit of rocking or get it rolling just a little and it will catch into 1st. Yamaha trannys may not do that, but a lot of Hondas do.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The 04/05 clutch plates stick in some bikes. It will eventually resolve with normal use, or if you seek a more immediate fix, soak the clutch plates overnight in oil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i get the hard shift from nuetral to first on my bike. a buddy of mine has an '04 R1, that has the same "problem". i figure it's pretty normal.

·
Registered
323 Posts
most sportbikes do this i have less of a clunk now that im using full synt oil and way nicer shifting too.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Glad to hear that is normal. I just switched to Mobil MX4T full synthetic, so hopefully that will help too. Next change will be with Amsoil. Didn't want to wait to have it shipped so I figured I'd give the Mobil a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts