Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rich, not in cash mind you, but in motorcycles. Between the wife and I, we have managed to collect twelve motorcycles for our two car garage. They vary from Harleys to BMWs to Suzukis, dual sports to race bikes, cruisers to dirt bikes. My favorite is my 2006 GSXR 1000, while my wife would say it's her 2006 Triumph Cafe Racer (I rebuilt it from a wrecked Bonneville), with her 2009 GSXR 750 a close second.

Having so many running/insured bikes does take time away from just getting on and riding...not that I'm complaining - much, maybe it's just I'm getting old. Upkeep is always part of the sport, as I have to wrench on both race bikes ( track days, anymore) in the summer, then put them away in the winter, less so with the dirt bikes etc., still it never stops. Yes, I do have a great mechanic who helps out on the big stuff...thanks Keith, but I feel my " two wheel kids," deserve it, for what they give me back.

When I ride different bikes back to back, it's funny to me how many miles it takes to re-acquaint myself with everything, from the widths of the handlebars to where the turn-signal/horn/high beam switches are and how they operate. Why is the whole handlebar thing not standardized...Ahhhh! Germans seem have way too much time to think about the design of things - over engineered, self-canceling turn signals, but with an override switch...really? The Japanese seem to have cut to the chase, sort of do more with less type of thing, rocker switches that can after some time,be tripped with the sleeve of my Vanson jacket. The British....what can I say, they have such an odd/archaic since of placement/usage...a cancel button - on top of the L-R turn-signal switch where it's easily pushed by mistake, those British ...they tend not to change much over time, and sometimes not at all. While American manufacture seem have to tend with too many changing govern"mental" regulations, what was good in '09 is different in '10.

Enough....once settled and running my GSXR up through it's gears, all of that is forgotten and I realize why I ride, it's like getting to the "goody" at the bottom of your cereal bowl, sweet, Sweet, SWEET....

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I've gotten to the point where it only takes a couple miles for me to get used to a different bike, since I own bikes with at least 4 different shifting arrangements, not to mention very different handling and power and braking characteristics.

PhilB

Reactions: albuquerquealex

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I own 8 and still takes me some time to get used to them. Keeping track of the maintenance of so many bikes is also a PITA...

And having to take some bike on a ride because it hasn't been out in a while, instead of taking the bike you want, is kind of frustrating.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
This is what we call an F.W.P.
Which is kind of amusing, since where he lives is marginal with regard to being in the F.W.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Yes the irony. .. it was not lost. :)

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Well, just published ads for the RX-S 115, AN-125 and CBR 600RR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts