Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a post I made in a thread about sportbikes and ABATE. I made this post on 07/03/2009:

On Wednesday I was driving down one of the major roads here in the city and saw a young kid on a R6 leaving the gas station with a helmet straped to the seat, but not on his head. I also saw he had no eye protection, which is required. I turned into the supermarket to go back around, and he pulles in the side entrance and is coming towards me and parks, so I pull up behind him and ask him to come over to the car. I didn't use the lights, as I just wanted to educate him. He got all nervous and I said to relax, that I ride, and I just wanted to inform him eye protection is required. I ask if he has a motorcycle license, and he said, no just his permit. I told him a helmet is mandatory on a permit and you can only go without a helmet after 2 years with your M license or the MSF. He said he didn't know that. Why? Because of the people he sees without them. ANOTHER EXAMPLE of the STUPID helmet law we have here in PA, that ABATE PUSHED HARD FOR AND CALLED A VICTORY when dick head Rendell signed. I ran the license and found it was fine, as was the plate. I told him to relax as he was getting upet thinking he was getting cited and I told him I'm more concearned for him riding with out a helmet, and I'm more intrested in educating him then fining him. I let him go and drive off. I saw him 10 minutes later, as he left the supermarket with his helmet on. I call that a "victory". ABATE can kiss my ass for what they did to the laws in this state.
I went to a minor crash involving a motorcycle. Old lady turned left in front of an on coming motorcycle. Rider was able to brake hard and hit the rear quarter panel. Bike looked decent and rider was fine. Full gear. I started talking to him about bikes and show him pics of my current and former bikes. He tells me a story of an officer that treated him well when he first started and has always worn gear since. We talked it out and realized I was the one who stopped him. We laughed and he thanked me again, 4 years later, for treating him like a person as he's been around officers that treat bikers like felons. Especially sportbikers around here as this is Harley Country. I wished him luck and that I hope his ZX-10 can be fixed quickly.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Man, that is fucking cool.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
One of the best "follow up" stories I've ever heard. Good job on being an educator, and awesome that the rider took it to heart and is still alive & riding years later.

-Christian

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Always good to see that you've affected someone in a positive way, especially after random acts of kindness.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Great story Tiger! That should make you feel really good. Sometimes people with authority are unable to make a difference unless they are exercising their authority. A great example of how a little wisdom and compassion made a huge difference in someone's life. Also, kudos to the kid for recognizing your kindness and wisdom and implementing your advice. Good stuff all the way around. :)

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the best "follow up" stories I've ever heard. Good job on being an educator, and awesome that the rider took it to heart and is still alive & riding years later.

-Christian
Yeah it was pretty cool. Once we realized it we kept laughing and talking about what were the odds and all that. He was surprised at my bike list. I think he assumed all cops ride Harley's. :D

Thanks everyone. Is was a good day. It certainly made me smile.

Reactions: PhilB and lasermax

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
This a post I made in a thread about sportbikes and ABATE. I made this post on 07/03/2009:

I went to a minor crash involving a motorcycle. Old lady turned left in front of an on coming motorcycle. Rider was able to brake hard and hit the rear quarter panel. Bike looked decent and rider was fine. Full gear. I started talking to him about bikes and show him pics of my current and former bikes. He tells me a story of an officer that treated him well when he first started and has always worn gear since. We talked it out and realized I was the one who stopped him. We laughed and he thanked me again, 4 years later, for treating him like a person as he's been around officers that treat bikers like felons. Especially sportbikers around here as this is Harley Country. I wished him luck and that I hope his ZX-10 can be fixed quickly.
Awesome followup story! That must have put a skip in your step for the day... It would have mine.

Though, I'd be remiss not to mention this.The reason he was wearing full gear today wasn't because of helmet laws (or lack thereof). It was because of what you did and how you chose to handle the situation four years ago, and then because of his own personal decision to wear gear.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm sure it's easy in your job to forget that you can really make a positive impact on people's lives, especially when you end up with so many repeat customers...

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome followup story! That must have put a skip in your step for the day... It would have mine.

Though, I'd be remiss not to mention this.The reason he was wearing full gear today wasn't because of helmet laws (or lack thereof). It was because of what you did and how you chose to handle the situation four years ago, and then because of his own personal decision to wear gear.
I agree Max. In fact my stance on helmet laws has changed. I fully support and encourage helmet use, but no longer agree with mandatory laws requiring one. Same with seatbelts. I won't cite someone in a 5000lb GMC Yukon with 12 airbags for not wearing a seatbelt while someone can ride a bike in a tshirt and shorts. If the laws were really about safety they wouldn't have that dual standard. PA should follow NH's lead and allow helmets and seatbelts to both be optional for anyone over 18.

Reactions: PhilB and max384

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Oh my god...optional seatbelts?

I wish...I wish so hard. it would've saved me 800 in tickets and 12 license points already.

I actually asked an LEO why I had to wear a seatbelt in the truck, but not on the bike (I of course know the logic behind not tethering someone to a 300 pound object with zero outside safety)
He said " do you wear your helmet when driving?" I replied with "If I didn't have to wear a goddamned seatbelt if I did, you bet your ass I would!"

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Such a shame you had to meet up again at a wreck instead of maybe a bike event of some kind.

Still, great story. Just think of how fucked up he could have gotten.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Damn fine Story, RT! Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sweet

Wish there were more cops like you man, all the cops in my city think their badges and guns put them above everyone else....never stop doing what you're doing :kickass

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Awesome story! Now bust out the cake in celebration!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts