Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have a code on here for hiding spoilers? I'd use it in case people haven't seen the things I mention...

Anyone else find humor/annoyance when they see something that's presented as being realistic? Sometimes this kinda stuff really ruins the moment in the show for me. I'll try to avoid mentioning enough detail to be a true "spoiler" but...

Breaking Bad, Season 5, episode....2 or 3 (shown in 2012)...a character commits suicide by using an AED (automated electronic defibrillator). That scene basically can't happen. When you slap the AED pads on someone and power it up, it starts monitoring their heart signals. If it detects fibrillation, you'll hear a message to the effect of: "Shockable rhythm detected. Charging. screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Ready. Press Shock Now." (at which time, you "clear" the Px and hit "shock". Just couldn't do what was done in the show. (Note, defibrillators generally won't start a heart that isn't beating....their purpose is to "reset" a heart that's spasming / beating excessively fast to the point where it's not pumping blood)...so before someone says "But he pulled the wire out of the pad, so it won't detect a heartbeat"...that doesn't matter. No pulse is not a "shockable rhythm".

Hawaii 50, this year, first episode. A character is in a helicopter when the pilot is shot dead ~ 150 feet off the ground. Helicopter kinda flutters around a bit as character climbs over seat into the front, and then "fights" the helicopter to the ground by pulling on the cyclic control with both hands with a look on his face like he's holding back the mother of all bowel movements. Completely ludicrous. Pulling on the cyclic does not take much effort, and all it does is tilt the helicopter in the direction it is pushed. Pull back like that and the helicopter will attempt to backflip ass over teakettle. Altitude is controlled by the collective (the lever on the side of the seat). There's pretty much no helicopter problem you can fix by pulling back on the cyclic with 2 hands until you "land".

Big Bang Theory...sometime in season 6 I think, One character takes another to the gun range. Presumably they've rented the gun at the range as neither has said anything about owning one before. One character inserts a magazine, DOES NOT rack the slide, and somehow magically shoots themself in the foot. Can't happen. There was no round in the chamber.

James Bond movies - several of the recent ones (Brosnan / Craig years) and possibly earlier, I don't know. They seem to think you can hover a helicopter at a 45 degree nose down angle. Physically not possible without a hurricane-force headwind.

Got any other good ones?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...every time they show someone losing consciousness from being tazered

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Ring and Hobbit movies. In the end of the third LOTR movie, giant eagles pick up Frodo and Sam and fly them away from Mount Doom at the last minute. Instead of spending three movies fighting and clawing their way there and fighting giant battles, why didn't the eagles just fly them there, let them drop off the ring, and then fly back?

·
Registered
228 Posts
My fiance watches Gilmore girls, the continuity is horrible and I make fun of it every chance I get. They will be inside walking out a door with straight hair and a white shirt then the camera will switch to the outside view and they have curled hair and a blue shirt...

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Ring and Hobbit movies. In the end of the third LOTR movie, giant eagles pick up Frodo and Sam and fly them away from Mount Doom at the last minute. Instead of spending three movies fighting and clawing their way there and fighting giant battles, why didn't the eagles just fly them there, let them drop off the ring, and then fly back?
One does not simply fly into Mordor.

Plus, not to mention scumbag frodo has Sam follow him the entire time, including Sam taking care of him and dragging his ass around, and then at the end he tells Sam to go home.

·
Registered
249 Posts
In Star Wars it shows The Jedi side break the speed of light in a matter of a few seconds. While it is impossible to go the speed of light, let alone break the speed of light, if it were possible the g-forces of the acceleraltion to this speed in such a short time would not be survivable to living beings.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Walking Dead TV show, everyone is infected and turns into a zombie when they die, but at the beginning of season 2 they come across that huge car pileup on the highway (Where the herd comes through) and many cars have dead people in them but none are zombies. Lori even says they shouldn't raid the cars for supplies because it's a graveyard. If the continuity was correct, every victim without a head injury should have been a zombie.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
To answer this you need to refer back to Tolkien's historical work, The Silmarillion. The Valar, that rule the world (Middle Earth), have a hands off policy. They use more subtle means (among them are the Wizards) to guide events the way the creator (Illuvatar) intended. If things get totally out of hand, as they did in the First Age, they will step in directly.... it does not happen often, but when it does it is not good for anyone that pissed them off.

So now I have pointed out how much of a Tolkien geek I am. Oh well....

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Is the King of the Eagles a Valar? Also, if so, why do they kick the goblins ass in the Hobbit - if they are supposed to stay out of things?

I think the reason the eagles don't take them to Mordor is that you have to sneak in there - Sauron would see you and or the Nazgul would intercept the ring. Just a thought.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In Star Wars it shows The Jedi side break the speed of light in a matter of a few seconds. While it is impossible to go the speed of light, let alone break the speed of light, if it were possible the g-forces of the acceleraltion to this speed in such a short time would not be survivable to living beings.
Although it's not discussed in Star Wars, in Star Trek inertial dampeners are utilized. No, they don't exist here but, in that reality they do.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Actually, it is theoretically possible to travel faster than the speed of light. There are several different theories currently plausible.

Faster-than-light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not only that, but the speed of light is NOT constant (only is in a vacuum). Physicists have managed to completely stop light (not just turning off a light bulb, you smart asses) for a full minute.

Light completely stopped for a record-breaking minute - physics-math - 25 July 2013 - New Scientist

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I personally "don't care" about violations of known physics in things like star trek / star wars...or even the terminator franchise. You can't even walk in to one of those without suspending disbelief.

While y'all are certainly free to discuss problems with those or LOTR or whatever, I don't have a problem with them because of what they are.

I'm mostly going after things where Hollywood presents us with a familiar object or situation...and abandons all reality with it. I feel the director either assumes we're too dumb to know the difference, or doesn't care about the fact that they're directly contributing to the dumbing down of society.

I mean...almost all of us here rides or has ridden a motorcycle. If you were riding along with someone, redlining top gear....what would happen if you said "I've had enough of this!" and downshifted in an attempt to pass? You'd blow the engine and probably wreck the bike. In the movies, that's how you pass :D

Jumping off topic and on to the subject of Faster-than-light (FTL) travel...it's not entirely impossible to travel FTL. First...Einstein's laws don't specifically rule out travelling FTL, they "only" rule out accelerating through the speed of light to get there. With our current understanding and transportation mechanisms the end result is the same...but the details are different. Second...the idea of warping space is entirely consistent with known physics...but any reasonable theory on how to do it currently requires more energy than we know how to produce / store.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although it's not discussed in Star Wars, in Star Trek inertial dampeners are utilized. No, they don't exist here but, in that reality they do.
I always snickered when they said that...for the same reason I snicker when people talk about a "steering dampener" :D

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I personally "don't care" about violations of known physics in things like star trek / star wars...or even the terminator franchise. You can't even walk in to one of those without suspending disbelief.

While y'all are certainly free to discuss problems with those or LOTR or whatever, I don't have a problem with them because of what they are.

I'm mostly going after things where Hollywood presents us with a familiar object or situation...and abandons all reality with it. I feel the director either assumes we're too dumb to know the difference, or doesn't care about the fact that they're directly contributing to the dumbing down of society.

I mean...almost all of us here rides or has ridden a motorcycle. If you were riding along with someone, redlining top gear....what would happen if you said "I've had enough of this!" and downshifted in an attempt to pass? You'd blow the engine and probably wreck the bike. In the movies, that's how you pass :D

Jumping off topic and on to the subject of Faster-than-light (FTL) travel...it's not entirely impossible to travel FTL. First...Einstein's laws don't specifically rule out travelling FTL, they "only" rule out accelerating through the speed of light to get there. With our current understanding and transportation mechanisms the end result is the same...but the details are different. Second...the idea of warping space is entirely consistent with known physics...but any reasonable theory on how to do it currently requires more energy than we know how to produce / store.

The new movie "Gravity" that came out supposedly is wildly inaccurate. Like it involves them using their suits to get from the space station to some other satellite that is in real life thousands of miles away and they would never make it. Along with many other inaccuracies.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
it did trouble me that in the miami vice pilot an actor playing hitman gets killed then became a regular in later episodes as a different character.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
How about every movie EVER-- Nobody ever has to reload their weapon.

Also, Walking Dead-- Between seasons 2 and 3 (before they find the prison) they're basically nomadic, driving around constantly to avoid herds and find food... But with that much time after the outbreak, nobody would've put Sta-bil in any of the gas tanks they were (presumably) stealing gas from, so any gas they WOULD be able to find would be bad... Where is everyone getting all the gas to drive around willy-nilly? And who's mowing the grass in the prison?!

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
When it comes to fiction, I accept it all as is. My favorite movie is Blazing Saddles and family guy is probably my favorite tv show again now that breaking bad is over. Reality is a mf that's better leftuntouched for 'entertainment purposes'.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts