Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride an '01 F4i. First off, I already know about the CCTL problem, but that isn't it. Actually, that's starting to go as well, but that's another problem....

Today I noticed a rattling type sound when I hit little bumps or dips in the pavement. It seems to be coming from the front-end of the bike, though I can't be 100% certain of it (hard to tell sometimes while riding with a helmet on). Seems like it may have something to do with the suspension, because it doesn't happen if the pavement is smooth. Any ideas what it may be?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
First thing I would check is the inside of the fairing and the electrical stuff up front. My Husqvarna's wiring harness tends to rattle a bit. I would also check your front brakes for rattles as well though since a failure up there could be a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hit a bad bump on Saturday in the fog, so looking back, that may have done it. Thing is, I didn't notice anything Saturday or yesterday while riding. I checked the rim and it looks fine. I really think something has broken or come loose. If I can't find it in the next day or two, I'm going to bring it into the shop to take a look. I just don't want to take a chance on ignoring something that may suddenly let loose and cause me to be in BIG trouble....

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I know this sounds too easy but check your chain tension. If it gets loose it makes a clacking sound that is hard to pinpoint. You will notice if it is loose enough to make noise.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kazlab67 said:
I know this sounds too easy but check your chain tension. If it gets loose it makes a clacking sound that is hard to pinpoint. You will notice if it is loose enough to make noise.
haha, I've had that problem before! It's different this time though. The sound is definately coming from the front. Before when it was the chain, I could actually tell it was coming from the lower left side. Plus it would do it on downshifts too. This happens when hitting ANY kind of bump, even when going very slow (pulling into parking spaces for example).

I'm thinking that this evening I'm going to put the bike up on the stands and take off the plastics to see if I can figure it out. See if I can see anything moving that shouldn't be.

Then again, I need to bring the bike into the shop to get the CCTL fixed anyway, so maybe I'll just have them check on this....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts