Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the people I met on my move to FL rides a '05 R1 as his first bike. Not squidly at all + he's a pilot for living so he's pretty cautious. Anyways he recently got a new gig in my native NC flying nascar drivers and carolina panthers around. So after a couple weeks he took a flight back to fl to drive his things up to nc including the r1. He packs all his goods in the trailer and "uh oh" not enough room for the bike. His folks elect to drive his stuff up for him which leaves him with a dilemma. See, he left his jacket and helmet in nc. And if you've watched the news at all you know it's been raining non stop for days here in FL. So the poor guy goes and buys ANOTHER helmet and jacket and hits the road. See the problem here? Um, NO RAIN GEAR. Not to mention I know he's never done any long distance ride on a sportbike and is not prepared for the torture to come.

First thing I asked him was
1 "How long before your legs cramped up?" Within the first hour of str8 line riding.
2 "How long before it starting raining?" Within the first 15 minutes.
3 "Did you get cold?" I could hear the poor fella's teeth chattering over the phone. Prolly still chattering now.
4 "Would you do it again?" NO WAY IN HELL!!!!!!!!!

He had to stop halfway to get a hotel room it was so miserable. I have to say though that is one hell of a ride for a newb. Guy deserves half an iron butt at least. A total of 630 miles on a R1 in cold rain most of the way with no rain gear. Sure it can be done. But I ain't doin it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
why in the hell would you want to ride in the rain, especially commit to such a long trip of it. :confused:

·
Registered
261 Posts
He bought an R1 for a first bike... According to popular opinion here he is a Squid no matter how cautious or careful he may be no matter what.. :rolleyes

·
Registered
488 Posts
iron ass indeed.. he didnt know what to expect he couldnt psych himself out in the beginning of the trip.. we know it sucks, we would have been setting ourselves up for failure. he was the little engine that could....nt after a while.. props to him though..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts