Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK we all have em, let's have some good laughs:

A bunch of us sportbike riders decide to go camping up in Arrowhead Park in Huntsville, Ontario (about a 3 hour drive). So we pack up our sport bikes (this is in 1989). I am driving my 1986 Suzuki RG500 Gamma (it is a 4 cyl 2 stroke with 2 exhaust pipes coming up under the seat just like the Fizzer). I am riding with an RZ350, GSXR1100, ZX-12, Interceptor 500 and FZR1000. So I strap my backpack, sleeping bag and husbands tent on my Gamma.

So being young and impetuous, we all take off on the highway doing ohhhh about 180-200 kms per hour. We get about 20 minutes down the highway when one of our bikes pulls up beside me and tells me to pull over. What happened? My tent had slipped down over my pipes and caught fire! :devil I literally had flames shooting out the back of my bike! DOH!

So we ditched the tent, continued on our way and had a great trip. Oh and we made to to Huntsville in about an hour and a bit ;)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
You don't need a tent. Just a tarp. Our scoutmaster would actually PREFER to sleep under a tarp than in a tent. He LOVES his camping.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you're young, recently married and the only girl in the group, a tent can come in REAL handy ;)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
klouseau said:
When you're young, recently married and the only girl in the group, a tent can come in REAL handy ;)
Throw in some beer and you've got a party!

A tarp would be more fun for the rest of the group though.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
04Fizzer said:
You don't need a tent. Just a tarp. Our scoutmaster would actually PREFER to sleep under a tarp than in a tent. He LOVES his camping.
Wouldn't work for me, my idea of roughing it is to stay in a 4-star hotel wothout my own pillow from home. Now THAT sucks! :lao

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Wouldn't work for me, my idea of roughing it is to stay in a 4-star hotel wothout my own pillow from home. Now THAT sucks! :lao
Eh. That has its own place. But you'll never see some of the things that I have with you rform of roughing it.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Like what?
-The biggest one that sticks out in my mind is the 360 degree view of a sunset while sitting on Georgian Bay in a Kayak.

-The top of Mt. Marcy (highest point in NY)

-Georgian Bay from the Bruce Trail

-Had a black bear run through my camp a couple weeks ago

There are several more things that just can't be put into words. Very subtle things that can only be experienced. There's also the spiritual things that come with being out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love swimming in Georgian bay, although you boys would definitely experience "shrinkage" from the temp of the cold waters :slaugh

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
klouseau said:
I love swimming in Georgian bay, although you boys would definitely experience "shrinkage" from the temp of the cold waters :slaugh
There was DEFINITE shrinkage. Can you say BB's? lol

But it was great drinking water (after being filtered of course), and felt REALLY good after a day of hiking (even if it WAS hiking in the rain).

The group of not very Menanite Menanites were an added bonus. :banana

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
04Fizzer said:
-The biggest one that sticks out in my mind is the 360 degree view of a sunset while sitting on Georgian Bay in a Kayak.

-The top of Mt. Marcy (highest point in NY)

-Georgian Bay from the Bruce Trail

-Had a black bear run through my camp a couple weeks ago

There are several more things that just can't be put into words. Very subtle things that can only be experienced. There's also the spiritual things that come with being out in the middle of nowhere.
Other than the black bear you can do most of those things and still lay your head in civilization at the end of the day.

Where in Georgian Bay were you kayaking? I've paddled around Beausoleil Island a few times (see map). Nice country. My family used to own an island on the open side (circled). We usually head out from Honey Harbour, stop for picnic lunch on the island and finish the loop in the afternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
klouseau said:

You were swimming in the wrong places. You've got to find one of the long, shallow beaches. The water is warm enough for any man to retain his dignity.

An inch more and I'd be a King, an inch less and I'd be a Queen!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Other than the black bear you can do most of those things and still lay your head in civilization at the end of the day.

Where in Georgian Bay were you kayaking? I've paddled around Beausoleil Island a few times (see map). Nice country. My family used to own an island on the open side (circled). We usually head out from Honey Harbour, stop for picnic lunch on the island and finish the loop in the afternoon.
Oh man. That was a long time ago. The best I can offer is that it was the Eastern end of GB.

Yeah, you can do most of those things without 'roughing it', but it's nowhere near the same thing.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Oh man. That was a long time ago. The best I can offer is that it was the Eastern end of GB.

Yeah, you can do most of those things without 'roughing it', but it's nowhere near the same thing.
You're only 25, how long ago could it be?

Not to be argumentative but I'd say its near the same thing.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
You're only 25, how long ago could it be?

Not to be argumentative but I'd say its near the same thing.
It was somewhere between 8 and 10 years ago.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm not opposed toa good night in a nice hotel, but there are some things that a hotel can't provide. Listening to the loons as you're falling asleep. Listening to the patter of rain on your tent. The call of the coyotes off in the distance...

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See but I am female, so give me the cold water anyday ;)

Honey Harbor is not too far from the husbands old cottage.....Woods bay :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts