Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to get my stem valve replaced so today while I am dropping off my bike I got to watch a kid (early 20's if that) leave on his new bike. It was an FZR600.
1. I watch kid get on bike and he can't figure out how to start it. Dealer goes over and starts it for him, he stalls it, can't figure out how to start it still, dealer starts it again....
2. It's started, he doesn't know how to put it in gear, sits there for 2-3 min. giving it gas and not moving, hmmmm.... Dealer goes and shows him how to shift.
3. Dealer suggests he haul it home. He refuses and dealer suggests he at least practice in the parking lot before jumping on rt. 50. He does a couple laps (engine is gettting the piss reved out of it but barely moving) and he is jerkin the hell out of the bike, did a couple turns (barely) and comes back. Has trouble turning bike around in the parking lot with no cars around it.
4. By the way, kid is wearing a Helmet, and a Joe Rocket jacket, with SHORTS :rolleyes
5. By the way..... IT IS RAINING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. After four laps he feels he is a good enough rider to take it on rt. 50 in Orlando which earned the title of 13th most deadly road in the country! I think he hit second for the first time after he left the parking lot.
7. Came to dealership in a pickup, and still decided to ride this thing home. Poor poor bike. Stupid Stupid kid.

this guy is a darn fool, I'm sorry but I hope he made it home but I wonder if he did. At least he didn't get a liter bike. Holy S#!T I was just shocked.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Well, everyone has to learn somewhere. That experience doesn't sound too different from my own - except I mostly knew how to shift...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Nimrod. I've been riding for 6 months and I still decided to trailer my Fizzy home because of a chance of rain and I didn't want to learn how differently it handled and braked on the interstate.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If the salesman has to show you how to start the bike.....TWICE.....you don't belong on it. Also, Who in their right mind would let someone with obviously very little experience, ride away on a brand new ss..in the RAIN!!! I would be very suprised if he didn't make it home at all, or there will be just one more ss for sale in the paper (new helmet and joe rocket jacket thrown in for FREE) this month.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
I dont think you should have a bike license if you're that clueless. What do you have to do over there to get it? Makes me realize how worth while all the shit you have to go through here is.

Over here you do a pre-learner course where they take you through as if you've never seen a bike over two half days. Then six months as a learner. Then when you go for your full license you do another day of on bike training, where they go through basic riding techniques like counter steering, as well as safety, stopping distances etc.. At the end you have to pass a riding test where you do an emergency stop, u-turn, slow and fast slalom. Its pretty easy but at least you have to prove you know what you're doing, if you fail (three out of 10 did when i was there) no license for you until you do it again.

Also, for the first 18 months your bike has to be <150 kw per tonne, and <660cc which rules out all sport bikes over 250. Can really only ride 250s and older cruisers until you get your fulls.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I trailered my FZR600 home and that was after two years of previous riding experience! There ought to be at least the verification that you hold a valid Class M endorsement before riding the bike off the lot. You would need that for a car. Trailer or truck is a different story.

Shame to see nice bikes abused and destroyed.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When buying bikes here I don't think they even check to see if you have a license. The kid either drove it without a license (most probable) or he took the written test and got his temperary permit (test is a joke) either way, it's dangerous for him and others on the road. He seemed the type that would have bought the liter bike to start on if he could afford it.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
Which dealer in Orlando...... did you hear about that big story at cycle sports center.... this happened a good 6 months ago now....

the guy bought a new R6, insisted he knew how to ride it, almost crashed leaving the lot getting on to john young, then DID crash it on lee road near edgewater... Guy died, his WIFE AND KIDS were driving behind him in the car the whole time and saw it all happen..... his helmet flew off because he didnt strap it, not sure if that woulda saved him or not, but still...... soo so sad

*EDIT* I walked in to the dealership not 30 minutes after it happened... right when the news crew showed up, and got the story from a mechanic who saw him leaving on the bike etc... so first hand story not just heresay or from the news

·
Registered
353 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
I dont think you should have a bike license if you're that clueless. What do you have to do over there to get it? Makes me realize how worth while all the shit you have to go through here is.

Florida has some of the most lax laws concerning motorcycles in the country.

In Louisiana, you don't need a cycle endorsement to register a bike for use on the roads. When I bought my 250, it wasn't brought up at the DMV when I registered it. And when I bought the Harley, my salesman (who is a friend of mine) told me that they don't even check for endorsements... Just a driver's license, since that is required to register a vehicle.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe it is called Champions Yamaha over on West Colonial. I am keeping an eye out for this guy. I remember the story about the R6 guy. What an idiot RIP. This guy could have easily followed the same path. In fact I think that while he was practicing his helmet wasn't strapped either.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I will ask my friend if he was there when this happened, he works at Champions. Wow, I seriously doubt that kid made it back in one piece, Colonial is one mean fucken road.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
I ride by there often.... I live near kirkman and 50... The yahama dealer never seemed all that friendly I thought, just wanted to sell to whoever for whatever... On the other hand, I bought my bike from Performance honda, nicest people in the world, I got a screaming deal and still go by on saturdays for the hotdogs :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
RussXL said:
Florida has some of the most lax laws concerning motorcycles in the country.

In Louisiana, you don't need a cycle endorsement to register a bike for use on the roads. When I bought my 250, it wasn't brought up at the DMV when I registered it. And when I bought the Harley, my salesman (who is a friend of mine) told me that they don't even check for endorsements... Just a driver's license, since that is required to register a vehicle.
DL is not required to register a vehicle in any state, as far as I know. Dealers are not obligated to ensure that the purchaser knows how to ride and/or drive a vehicle when they sell it, either. As a matter of fact, if a dealer sold a bike/car and then refused to allow the person off the lot with it, they could be sued for it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
In NY you can get motorcycle insurance without a even a permit, which means you can register and own one without a permit also..I dont think its legal but they do it ALLLL the time..

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hanglowejohnson said:
I ride by there often.... I live near kirkman and 50... The yahama dealer never seemed all that friendly I thought, just wanted to sell to whoever for whatever... On the other hand, I bought my bike from Performance honda, nicest people in the world, I got a screaming deal and still go by on saturdays for the hotdogs :)
MMMMMMMMM Hotdogs.......

I go there for hotdogs quite often. For me the Yamaha place was friendlier than the Honda place, there is only one guy at honda that will acknowledge me at all. Everyone else just stares. Maybe it is because they know they can't talk me outta my ninja and into their cbr :lol . Actually it has crossed my mind. I like the Hondas, anyway.

The whole place was watching this tool try and learn to ride in 5 min. So if your friend was there that day he had to have seen or heard about it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
nearly daily, at nearly every dealership in the country. I don't even want to think about the math involved there...

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
I can't believe the dealer didn't insist that he haul the thing back home. Doesn't he want the kid to be alive long enough to make all the payments?

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
I wonder if the dealer went over all that stuff to start with. I can't imagine as a salesperson allowing someone who has never ridden a bike before to get on one take it on the road from the dealership.

When I got my 9, I had the dealer drop it off. I hadn't ridden in 5 years and no way was I going to hop on a ZX-9 and go zooming down the interstate. I rode it around my sub division for a while before I took it out for the first time.

I remember when I got my 93 CBR. I had ridden a friends bike before, so I at least knew the basics of motorcycle control, but we trailered it home and I spent about 4 hours just riding it around the yard.

Yeah - I was a squid then, but at least I was smart enough to wear my helmet!

·
Registered
994 Posts
WISPER said:
If the salesman has to show you how to start the bike.....TWICE.....you don't belong on it. Also, Who in their right mind would let someone with obviously very little experience, ride away on a brand new ss..in the RAIN!!! I would be very suprised if he didn't make it home at all, or there will be just one more ss for sale in the paper (new helmet and joe rocket jacket thrown in for FREE) this month.
I don't know. On some of them thar new-fangled bikes there ain't no kick-starter, no suicide-shifter to be seen anywhere, and damned if'n I can find the manual timing advace. :neener

1 - 20 of 48 Posts