Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen people placing aftermarket dampners on their bikes which makes me wonder if the stock ones are just a worthless gimmick.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The only damper i know that is electronic is the new one on the Honda 1000rr. The stock ones on most bikes either won't fit what is required by racing groups or people want adjustable ones. The adjustibility is the main reason for going to an aftermarket, although a lot of people do it just to say they have XXX damper.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Can someone post a link or Pic of this electronic one? Im curious how it works.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i love my damper on my RR. i wouldnt buy another bike without it

·
Registered
318 Posts
"And check out our new Honda Electronic Steering
Damper (HESD), a revolutionary piece of equipment
that automatically varies its damping effect with both
bike speed and acceleration. That means the faster
you ride, the firmer it gets for improved handling."

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking the 600rr and 2004 R1 also had them also had them but I guess I was mistaken.

·
Registered
456 Posts
only the 1000rr has it, some ppl dont like it, i love it. bike steers itself, bike is very stable at 150. dunno about higher havent went higher

·
Registered
457 Posts
Apart from the 1000RR .. suzuki's are the only factory bikes "I KNOW OF" that come with them from the factory. My 02 600 has a damper.

Ducati's and Aprilla's may have them but i don't know so i won't say

·
Registered
456 Posts
MaxOwner said:
Apart from the 1000RR .. suzuki's are the only factory bikes "I KNOW OF" that come with them from the factory. My 02 600 has a damper.

Ducati's and Aprilla's may have them but i don't know so i won't say
You say that a Zuk has a electronic steering damper..sorry the honda is the ONLY BIKE WITH ONE. the R1 and gixxer both have rod style and the new ninja doesnt have one at all

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quik said:
You say that a Zuk has a electronic steering damper..sorry the honda is the ONLY BIKE WITH ONE. the R1 and gixxer both have rod style and the new ninja doesnt have one at all
calm down buddy.. i meant stock bikes with steering damper's... maybe i should have specified that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
MaxOwner said:
calm down buddy.. i meant stock bikes with steering damper's... maybe i should have specified that.
zukis come stock w/ steering dampeners but not electronic steering dampeners...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, the stock dampers are far from useless. I replaced the stock damper on my Gixxer because the damn thing was floating the front out of 2nd gear corners and shaking. I got an adjustable scotts. Problem solved:) For everyday street riding the stock damper is more than adequate, unless you are doing 120mph stand-ups or just riding like a general idiot. I replaced mine because it couldnt really handle track conditions.

King Cobra, I wonder if you are getting rotary and electronic dampers confused. The electronic damper on the 1000rr looks something like a rotary (scotts) damper. Like it posted above the 1000rr is the only bike thus far to have one, and I've yet to see an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tripped said:
King Cobra, I wonder if you are getting rotary and electronic dampers confused. The electronic damper on the 1000rr looks something like a rotary (scotts) damper. Like it posted above the 1000rr is the only bike thus far to have one, and I've yet to see an aftermarket unit.
PaulF3 posted a quote (I assume from Honda) that said "blah blah .. electronic ... blah blah". Also, if it's shaped like a rotary damper, but is changed by electrical circuits, it's electrical isn't it? :D

Also, this might be the first post I've seen in a long time that didn't have someone say "dampener" woo hoo!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts