Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Short Length Levers

Votes: 25 59.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fast bikes fan
2,120 Posts
I have an ASV short clutch and a Harris road race long brake.
The long one gives the same leverage as a stock, but is adjustable, looks better and flips up in a crash. The short clutch is nice to use with 2 fingers (just how I like to use the clutch) and has the same features as the Harris.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I put some shorty levers on my 250 after doing an ex500 lever swap and love them. I just think they look better and feel more comfortable. I don't use more than 2-3 fingers for either lever anyway so the shorties fit my style better.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Compromise the leverage and control you have over two major controls. I'll pass on that one thanks.
thats one of the less informed comments i seen on the subject, if you cant easily lock the front end up with a single finger on a modern bike there is something very wrong with your brakes. and aside from the clutch being a pretty minor control, that shouldn't take more than a finger or two to modulate comfortably

·
Registered
3 Posts
both standard/full length.

If you ride in traffic it is much nicer to be able to use your whole hand on both levers.

You can always two finger your brake and clutch with the full length levers, but it is hard to give your index and middle fingers a break in stop and go with shorties.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I prefer short levers. After 17+ years on this bike, my grip strength is well adapted and I never use more than 2 fingers on either lever (even with the famous dry Duc clutch). Long levers just mean I have to be careful not to trap my other fingers under them.

PhilB

·
Tru Ryder
264 Posts
I'm with Phil on this one. One of the main reasons I got the shortys was because no matter how I adjusted the brake lever on my 10, I couldn't one or two finger it without it hitting my other fingers before engaging enough. I don't know why it has so much travel, but the short levers solved my problem, and like some others said, I never use more than one or two fingers either.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I prefer long levers, I use 4 fingers on my clutch, I only use 2 fingers on my brake, but I like symmetry, so I stick with two long.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Loving the shorties on my bike. Should have done it a long time ago. The comment about compromising control is just ignorant

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
Do you prefer full length or shortened levers?
Yes. I'm a four finger clutcher, two finger braker... my left hand was weakened by a racing injury a few years ago, so...

On my street bike I have a long clutch and a short brake... Pazzo levers. The clutch is heavy on my Aprilia so I went with a long clutch lever so I can still use all four fingers & get some decent leverage.

On my race bike I have long/long. Stock levers are cheap & plentiful so I have a stock clutch lever. On the brake side, I have a long but folding brake lever which came with my aftermarket brake master cylinder (Accossato).

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
Compromise the leverage and control you have over two major controls. I'll pass on that one thanks.
Compromise leverage?

I can stand either of my bikes on its nose with 2 fingers....there is plenty of leverage. I've ridden two and two since I was a kid because four fingering a dirtbike is.....brave.....at best.

I actually have a harder time using all four, and adjust all of my levers so that I can two finger with long levers if I need two.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'm a 4 clutch 2 brake guy.
Never ridden anything with short levers. I think they look cool but, I'm a 'Not broke don't fix' kinda guy. I haven't found any stock levers to be malfunctioning or otherwise busted(looking).
My clutch lever on the ZX bent a little, maybe a few degrees, slightly awkward, but fully functioning - not replacing.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm a 4 clutch 2 brake guy.
Never ridden anything with short levers. I think they look cool but, I'm a 'Not broke don't fix' kinda guy. I haven't found any stock levers to be malfunctioning or otherwise busted(looking).
My clutch lever on the ZX bent a little, maybe a few degrees, slightly awkward, but fully functioning - not replacing.
Agreed, only reason I would buy aftermarket levers is for adjustability, but I can reach the stock non adjustable clutch lever on my FZ1 just fine.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
For those that say they're just for looks, the benefit of after market levers, WHILE MINIMAL, is more than just aesthetics.

Shorter levers are less prone to breakage and some have hinges in them, which REALLY make them less prone to breakage.
They also typically have a wider range of adjustability and smaller "steps" in between each setting so you can be more precise with your adjustments.
They also usually have smoother operation. Some even have ball bearings in the pivot.
Lastly, they also provide better feel as they flex less than stock levers.

But again, each of these are minimal. It's not like they completely transform the bike or anything.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts