Sport Bikes banner

Full Face Helmet = Smart

3K views 23 replies 24 participants last post by  feltted 
#1 ·
My gf had an appointment at the local hospital today and when I picked her up, there was a bunch of cruisers in the emergency room parking lot.

She had told me that a guy and his wife were riding and rear ended a car that had cut them off. Apparently the guy broke both his arms and did a faceplant on the ground wearing a half helmet.

Scary shit. I won't even play around on a pocket bike without a full helmet. All these cruiser and harley guys are pretty ballsy with them lids.

#8 ·
I've been pegged in the head with junbugs before at 50 mph, with the sheild up getting some air <<~~stupid..... I cant imagine a face plant.....OUCH!

#10 ·
japbike said:
I've been pegged in the head with junbugs before at 50 mph, with the sheild up getting some air <<~~stupid..... I cant imagine a face plant.....OUCH!

yeah no kidding...try a locust, its much worse believe me :eek:

#12 ·
I don't know how people can ride without a full face helmet. The air on my eyes is not even fun when I ride with the lid open at 20-30mph, don't even want to know how it would feel without helmet at 60mph, nevermind at 100! :eek:

#14 ·
I had a dream I was riding at around 75 on the HWY and a freakin bird hit me in the visor, knocked me off the bike.........then I woke up.

Back on topic

Yea that sucks, around here I have never seen a cruiser with a fullface helmet.

#15 ·
A guy in my bike course was wearing a beanie one day, he fell off the bike at 10mph onto his fuckin face....4 stiches outside the mouth and like 6 inside the mouth....so whats he do? come back with a three-quater helmet the next day and says "yea i sohulda been wearing this"....im just thinkin and lookin at his helmet.....the new helmet he had still wouldent have protected fuck all other then the sides of the head and the back of his head.,.....just a dumb dumb person.

#17 ·
Mr. Lesbian said:
My gf had an appointment at the local hospital today and when I picked her up, there was a bunch of cruisers in the emergency room parking lot.

She had told me that a guy and his wife were riding and rear ended a car that had cut them off. Apparently the guy broke both his arms and did a faceplant on the ground wearing a half helmet.

Scary shit. I won't even play around on a pocket bike without a full helmet. All these cruiser and harley guys are pretty ballsy with them lids.
I went down at 143 mph, way back in 1979, when full face helmets were laughed at. I had on a full face Shoei, when I hit the ground at that speed,it was a miracle just to stay alive! My head hit first, the Shoei took it all in stride, on yeah, I had road rash all over my skinny azz. But, my head was intact. I love sportbikes, if they gave me a MV Agusta, a Ducati, and $100,000 dollars, and told it is all mine, but I would have to wear half helmets for the rest of my life, they would have to keep it all. They don't make enough money to get me into a half helmet.

And to see the rider rushing to buy and wear those Nazi type helmets.

Well, I am the first to say, "to each their own"..

ceh
2001 GSX R1000
2003 RC51
(63 & fast)

#19 ·
It would seem that there is a certain "coolness" to be riding a Harley without a lid. I don't know about anyone else but to me puting on leathers, boots and a cool helmet just makes it look that much cooler. Where else can you dress like a power ranger, ride a machine that can outperform just about anything other that a jet fighter (and they wear cool duds too) and look totaly awesome in a parking lot when you're not even moving. I may not have much experience but it seems you would have to be an idiot not to want to wear at the very least a full face helmet. ;)

#21 ·
LukeAnthony said:
It would seem that there is a certain "coolness" to be riding a Harley without a lid. I don't know about anyone else but to me puting on leathers, boots and a cool helmet just makes it look that much cooler. Where else can you dress like a power ranger, ride a machine that can outperform just about anything other that a jet fighter (and they wear cool duds too) and look totaly awesome in a parking lot when you're not even moving. I may not have much experience but it seems you would have to be an idiot not to want to wear at the very least a full face helmet. ;)
Yep.

And it looks cool when you get to your destination and walk in wearing your jacket, holding your helmet in your hand.. :cool:

Also, today I took a dragonfly (I think) to the knee at about 115mph. Hurt like a bitch... I couldn't imagine attempting to ride without any kind of protection like a lot of guys here in Phoenix do.

#23 ·
yeah the half helmets seem to be the trend around here now because thats the closest they can get to without wearing a helmet. I hear people that are like "as soon as I see that sign saying welcome to New Hampshire I pull right over and take the helmet off, it's soo much better"

I feel naked riding without my jacket, I couldn't really imagine without a helmet.

#24 ·
I have been so use to helmet laws in California, that it was a real shock when I went to Arizona last month.

1. Like the previous poster said, I don't know how they can open their eyes at speed with no helmet.

2. It was one thing to see the harley guys doing it, but totally amazing to see sport riders on the freeway in t-shirt, shorts, and even no helmet. Almost everyone I saw out here rides like that.

I imagine in AZ that you don't just break your jaw but your face melts into the 200 degree asphalt. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.