Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Father's Day. I jumped on the bike this morning for my 23 mile trip into the job. I was about half way there when the reserve started flashing and I felt confident there would be plenty to finish the ride without stopping for gas. The bike starting choking at 11.7 mile on the trip gage and actually shut off. I was able to start it and keep in rolling a few blocks to a station. I had put on the laser extreme exhaust and cat eliminator. I use 93 oct. Just thougt I'd share the numbers with you out there. Ride safe..

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
From what I've heard around here, there's honestly no need to run 93.

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
I believe the reserve is 1gallon which should yeild between 30-50 mpg depending on how you ride and any mods.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've done 22 on the reserve with no problems. No mods to speak of, premium gas. My fill up indicated that I had 1/3 gal left.

·
Registered
6 Posts
6ALWAYS said:
Happy Father's Day. I jumped on the bike this morning for my 23 mile trip into the job. I was about half way there when the reserve started flashing and I felt confident there would be plenty to finish the ride without stopping for gas. The bike starting choking at 11.7 mile on the trip gage and actually shut off. I was able to start it and keep in rolling a few blocks to a station. I had put on the laser extreme exhaust and cat eliminator. I use 93 oct. Just thougt I'd share the numbers with you out there. Ride safe..
I ran mine over 30 miles on the reserve before.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have Lazer extremes, am a big guy and a free flow DNA filter, not to mention a PC3 and I can still get 30miles off my reserve. Well have twice now, although when I filled up, managed to put in 19.3litres(apparently out bike holds 19.4) so was pretty close to spluttering time! either something wrong with ur fuel gage, or ur bike is absolutely drinking fuel. what milage do u normally get off a tank. My range is between 110M to 145M

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
38 miles? Did you do it on purpose?

6ALWAYS, maybe your fuel gage is set incorrectly, so that you get a blink at 1/2 gal, not 1 gallon. How much gas did you put in when you got it to the fill station? And if you don't have that number, run it just to the blink next time, fill up and do the math to see at what point you're getting a blink. I suppose you also need to know the mpg to do the calculations, which I assume you keep track of.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Wanted to see how far i can go with a full tank, so I filled it up and carried 1 gal. in a container and ran until the tank ran out of gas. It started blinking a 199 miles. The bike was completely empty and stalled at 238 miles.
I used regular unleaded, 87 octane (r+m/2)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
You're funny. :) That's some pretty nice MPG, I don't get that on my commute.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I will for the next tank. You guys are costing me a lot of money (darn mods!). Maybe I can save some $$ on fuel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You all have me thinking about this now. Thanks for the information. I am on the bike alot and just never really got into calculating the MPG's. I will now...

·
Registered
898 Posts
My first tank out of the dealership I got 42 to the gallon just commuting back and forth to work. Am waiting to see what i get from my second tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am getting over 200 miles on a tank...no mods except for the Motovation Frame Sliders and the tremendous Drag Coefficient that they exert on the bike! :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
676 Posts
segue00 said:
Wanted to see how far i can go with a full tank, so I filled it up and carried 1 gal. in a container and ran until the tank ran out of gas.
That's a great experiment and good information for all FZ6 owners, but you DO know that running your tank dry is about the worst thing you could ever do to your fuel pump.

The fuel is actually the lubricant for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
MrVvrroomm said:
That's a great experiment and good information for all FZ6 owners, but you DO know that running your tank dry is about the worst thing you could ever do to your fuel pump.

The fuel is actually the lubricant for the fuel pump.
Had to do it just once. And the fuel pump is actually self-priming, so no worries.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
segue00 said:
Had to do it just once. And the fuel pump is actually self-priming, so no worries.
Self-priming just means that you don't have to do it manually. It still needs fuel to libricate it.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
And this means: You'll have to run it dry to prime, right?
Like I said, only had to do it once and she seems to be running ok.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts