Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
’97 GSX-R 600

Fuel pump testing.

The bike is losing power @ 8K rpm. I am thinking pump.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I should be able to put the fuel pump out from the tank and it’s mount and connect it directly to the battery to check it.

Does anyone know of an online place to get a new pump? Preferably stock and new, but after market will work if the specs say it can use on this model. If this is my problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I took it upon myself to take care of my fuel pump situation.

I found an ol’ boy that wanted to sell his fuel pump for $150 plus my old one. (Assembly new from dealer $450) Sounds like a deal. But I got to thinking; I don’t need all that stuff. I ended up passing on the deal.

I went home and decided to just rebuild the pump.
Got it rebuilt, running and back on. Bike started and ran smooth. (In the drive way, not on the road)

Then it dies and would not crank again.

My first thought was that the carbs are getting too much fuel now. I disconnected the power to the pump. The bike still would not crank. Second thought the carbs now have too much fuel in them. I disconnected the vac hose (for the fuel valve) from the carbs to cut off fuel all together. (new valve, no leaks).

After a second of trying the bike started and ran without any problems. (With the fuel still shut off)

BACKGROUND
I had the carbs cleaned and synced 3 weeks ago.

My question is:
If the carbs were adjusted with a bad fuel pump, are they being affected now that the fuel pump is working properly?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts