Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rider
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 96 rf600rt
So I just replaced my generator coupling a few weeks ago after having alternator issues for a month.. now I got my bike running for about 2 weeks it died on me while on the highway. I felt it sputter a little, like it would if battery was running low or gas was out, and then it lasted about 5 more min before I had no power and it shut off. My fuel light never came on, so I figured it was somthing with my alternator again.

After getting it home, I tested the alternator (fine), starter (fine), and battery had a full charge on it. I couldnt pop start it either. Since it's not electrical im figuring Fuel Pump. My bike was low on fuel..pretty much empty, so i put in a gallon just to see if that was the problem, but it didnt start. I attempted to test the pump according to the manual by hooking up a multimeter to the wire harness (and appears to be bad from what I can tell)..but im not positive im testing correctly. Before buyin a new pump is there any chance it is somthing else.. fuel filter..carbs..etc.. or an easy way to check the pump?

I figure if it was a clogged filter, would I have noticed my bike sputter more then the time before it died.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
did you let the pump prime the carbs after giving it more gas? It could be that the carbs are still empty and that's why it doesn't start.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
disconnect the line from your fuel pump to the carbs, and attach another hose and run it into an empty bottle. put some gas in the tank, fuel on, and hit the starter for about 5 seconds and see if you get any fuel. My fuel pump was bad and 5 seconds gave ZERO gas out of it. This could also be a symptom of the fuel circuit relay, so check that with a meter, it will be in the manual for the specifics as I don't think the Honda stuff will carry over. I suppose it may....

·
Rider
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I gave it enough time to prime the carbs, but I'm going to deffinately try the idea of putting the tube in an empty bottle to see if that works. Thanks.

·
Rider
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my take off and one of my fuel lines seemed a little crimped so i re-routed it and the bike started up after about 3 tries... seems to be running good now. I'm going to check the Gas light to see if it's out to be safe tho. Thanks for the help.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
it's nice when it's something small, even if you can sometimes rip your hair out trying to find it. Good news that it's running again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts