Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its amazing what happens when you don't ride like a criminal.

I put on a new sprocket and chain, so I've been riding overly conservative the last two tanks. My last fill up was 51.4mpg! Before that was 49.4. Those two tanks were pretty much all surface streets. This current tank will not be as good. I've been on the interstate a couple times...from what I gather, 600's don't get the best mileage on the hwy. My best on a single hwy run (140 miles all hwy) was 42 and change. I was trying to get teh best mpgs that I could. But keeping up with traffic (75/80) I'm turning just over 7K rpms.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
That's pretty damn good. I only get around 35 on my gsxr 1000 :-( I've tried to cruise slowly for a full tank to see how high I could get the mpg but my right wrist has other plans.

Did you put on the same size sprocket? If not that will throw off your odometer and your mpg.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
both my f4i and vfr got better than 40mpg down the highway.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's about what I get. My best was 196 miles on one tank. If I would have gone a little easier on that tank it would be well over 200 miles.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
does your bike have an analog speedometer? if not your mileage reading is just different now.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My zx6r seems to get 40mpg no matter how I drive. I take it easy I might get like 40.8. I use full throttle from every stop I get like 40.2. Just a product of my commute I guess.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I've never got more than 40mpg on my GSX-R 600. The Versys on average gets 45mpg, but when touring it I've seen "as bad as" 40. It's odd that I can get better mpgs commuting than touring, but the highway just doesn't help mpgs and neither does the hard luggage.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've never got more than 40mpg on my GSX-R 600. The Versys on average gets 45mpg, but when touring it I've seen "as bad as" 40. It's odd that I can get better mpgs commuting than touring, but the highway just doesn't help mpgs and neither does the hard luggage.
Guess the effect of overcoming inertia during acceleration is less than the effect of wind resistance. My supermoto was very much like that. Got about 10 less on the highway due to being 280lbs and as aerodynamic as a barn door.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just spend a lot of time enjoying the sound of my new bike above 7k, and I'm fat, or I'd probably get a lot better.
The fuel economy of the VFR is really disappointing to me. I usually average in the high 30s, maybe low 40s when its nice and warm in the summer time. I wish I could get better economy, considering its just a "touring" bike.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The old chain was only a link longer than the new one. Sprockets are stock size. 16/43 iirc. But I have been riding like grandma. Honest ingen!! I racked up another 130 miles today. 53.4. I had to check it twice.

I filled up this morning when I set off and rode around the county. Highest speed reached was 75 and that was only for a minute or so. Other than that, revs were below 6500. Had a nice easy ride

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked the odo. It's spot on. I'll double check it with my gps next time I ride into work.

It's a 15/43 if bikebandit is correct.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh. And I've also lost like 80lbs in the last 10 months. That may have contributed also.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I don't think I've ever figured out what any of my bikes are getting for fuel mileage. All I've needed to know is they're doing better than my truck!

Reactions: CBR_Mike
1 - 17 of 17 Posts