Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a marked difference between a fuel injected system versus a carbeurator one? I'm asking to determine if the maintenance and upkeep of the two are similar or not. I notice that most high end sport bikes are fuel injected versus mid range bikes being mostly carbs. I have an older bike that seems to bog down in lower gears and does not have very consistent throttle response when first starting out. Would a fuel injected bike be less likely to experience similar problems or is it just the age of the bike?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
EFI is just the next step in technology and reliability for intakes.
Carbs need synched to operate properly, jetted for altitude, and adjusted for reliability.
EFI is 'plug and play' technology. It is usually self adjusting, has very few moving parts, can be modified electronically as opposed to replacing hard parts. EFI will not become starved of gas in an incline, nor does it have a myriad of tiny parts to fail. EFI also eliminates the need for a choke as it's automatic for most machines. It runs better when the bike is cold and is more linear across the RPM range in its fuel delivery, eliminating many of the hesitations and flat spots associated with carbs.

Overall, it's no contest that EFI is superior. I wish my bike had EFI.

Having said that, I can take apart a carb if it needs fixed. Troubleshooting carbs is easier and it's cheaper to repair. Carbs have more than a century of use and development.

EFI is the way to go if possible. But with modern machines, and given that most people only own them for a couple years before moving on- maintenance shouldn't be an issue. The performance of EFI is superior.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
^ pretty much what he said. EFI is alot easier to fine-tune, just hook up a laptop to the computer and you are ready to tune, don't have to mess with main jets, shimming, needles, etc. My Duc has fuel injection, my Aprilia is carburated, so I deal with both quite often.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a carb, and the thing is that you let exactly that much fuel in as wide as you open it. So if you for example hit the gas to hard instead of accelerating, you go "bwob bwob" and you just get slower and slower and if you dont clutch you're bike goes off. Now that would not happen with a injection.
There are many small differences but this example if what I notice the most and what goes on my nerves.
Oh, but a carb is far easyer to adjust and change the intakes etc.

Sometimes I hope I had a fuel injection :(

·
Registered
912 Posts
Throttle response is much better on fuel injected bikes as well

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
EFI is not without it's drawbacks. But they are pretty few. Namely, alot of EFI units have an on/off switch feel to them. But that is a localized design flaw in that particular set up.

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
Yeah, there seems to be. I fuddled around on my cousin's 98 GSXR 750 (carbureted) for a couple of days while she had my 01 CBR F4i (FI) 600. I'm used to coming out and pushing a button on my F4i and going inside for a quick cup of joe while the automatic throttle takes care of the warm up. With the GSXR, it was weird looking for the throttle, starting it, starting it again, and when it finally turned over, actually standing around waiting for it to warm up.

Riding the GSXR was great, but the throttle response seemed a little delayed compared to my F4i. I'm guessing it was the FI, since the GSXR was tuned. Fast bike, but not as responsive.

Hmm.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
EFI is not without it's drawbacks. But they are pretty few. Namely, alot of EFI units have an on/off switch feel to them. But that is a localized design flaw in that particular set up.
What models have that flaw?
Please don't tell me 03+ R6 has that BS. I'm planning to buy one.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I like both they have there ups and downs. I can't say I would pick one over the outher they all work fine.

·
Registered
501 Posts
whether a bike has EFI or Carbs would not affect my decision on buying it. although i would be hesistant to buy bikes with early forms of EFI before most of the kinks were worked out. (eg. I would buy the Triumph Daytona 600 before the TT600)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I'm not sure all which models are accused of the on/off switch EFI. I do believe though that the R1 was named. And the magazines have said it about the GSX-R on several occasions. Again, that can be worked on fairly easily though.
The other big plus for EFI is that most folks get a PowerCommander unit. This is a hop-up by itself. Like putting the HyperTech chip in a Camaro. The way most carbs are modded is by boring them and changing the jetting/needles. Not exactly as simple as downloading a new map for the PC.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Zyankaly said:
if you for example hit the gas to hard instead of accelerating, you go "bwob bwob" and you just get slower and slower and if you dont clutch you're bike goes off. (
That happens b/c you have a 50cc machine that makes about 3 hp at 15K rpm. It has nothing to do with fi.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
FI is not better than carbs in ANY way with one exception. Cold starts. There's generally no choke to manually operate and you can drive away after starting. That's it. Properly set up carbs have better response and comparable performance. FI is put on bikes because it helps reduce emissions. Mfrs can program to run very lean at low rpms and then richer at higher rpms. If FI is superior, why does Yoshimura racing sell big $$ kits to replace FI with carbs. For the avg. person it makes no difference which your bike has, although many earlier FI systems were very bad for throttle response.

·
Registered
151 Posts
FI also get's better milage, and it's capable of adjusting itself if you ride in varied altidude, temp or humidity. It's also makes a bit more horse power due to the fact that it is provides much better atomization of fuel.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have ridden the injected bikes and I like the crispness. It is definitely more reliable. However, I don't have any real problems with carbs. They are relatively easy to work on. My bike starts and idles with no choke. Of course it stumbles and bogs a bit until it gets a bit of heat into it, but I can walk outside, hit the button, and it will fire up and idle until it is warm with no choke.

·
Registered
117 Posts
f2benny said:
FI is not better than carbs in ANY way with one exception. Cold starts. There's generally no choke to manually operate and you can drive away after starting. That's it. Properly set up carbs have better response and comparable performance. FI is put on bikes because it helps reduce emissions. Mfrs can program to run very lean at low rpms and then richer at higher rpms. If FI is superior, why does Yoshimura racing sell big $$ kits to replace FI with carbs. For the avg. person it makes no difference which your bike has, although many earlier FI systems were very bad for throttle response.

Maybe the yoshimura issue is an isolated one with special circumstances? I mean, like the many points TheSolly pointed out- EFI is mechanically superior by means of technological evolution. carbs are simplier in a way, but EFI is more effective in many applications. What do GP bikes use? FI is relatively new compared to Carbs which have had much longer time to develop.

Im with TheSolly on this one....

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
That's not to say carbs are junk. After a century of innovation, carbs are almost as electronic as EFI in alot of cases. EFI is just like windows vs. DOS. Both work, and work well- one is just technologically more advanced and easier to use.
Set up right, you won't notice much difference between carbs and EFI. Other than on starting. As mentioned, EFI is superior for emissions since it can self adjust for the rpm range where as carbs have a static setting that can't adjust for 13000 rpm of range as well.

·
Registered
731 Posts
f2benny said:
That happens b/c you have a 50cc machine that makes about 3 hp at 15K rpm. It has nothing to do with fi.
shure a biger maschine would not go off when doing that, but you would still loose power with the "bwop bwop fx" :)D) its simple the problem with carbs as u let in as much as u open and if you don't have a boost botle it suxxx.
Its much more challengin getting 100% top speed and acceleration of a bike with a carburator than with a fuel injection.

PS: I do about 14hp at 10k rpm :twofinger

·
Registered
127 Posts
5t3v3 said:
What models have that flaw?
Please don't tell me 03+ R6 has that BS. I'm planning to buy one.
yeah the 03+ r6 has that problem,I have a friend that has one I have rode it many times I can't stand the on/off throttle.
My zx7r has flatslide carbs they are smooth.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts