Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the top 5 causes of a fuel injection system shutting down or otherwise becomming erratic at riding speeds (50+)? I took a 260 mile trip over the last two days (130 each way) and had problems for the better portions of it. My bike has been well maintained and this has only started within the last couple days. Symptoms tend to lean toward appox 180 engine temp, stuttering of the motor as if it's not getting enough fuel, and as it happened twice on the entire trip the FI just shut off completly and it took a restart of the bike to get it going again.

I'm currently leaning toward a weakened battery or a cooked computer. I have had to replace the battery due to not unplugging it and wonder if maybe the first charge wasn't so hot. Charging the battery is easy enough for me since I have a charger, the rest obviously isn't. Thanks for the help.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well folks I think I fixee fixee makee makee all better. I had a loose connection to my battery which would explain why it was so flaky in it's entirety. No power = no FI. Woo hoo I fucking rule.

I tested the problem while the bike was in neutral and I was able to recreate it to the point of it stalling out. I prepped to recharge the battery and found one of the connections loose.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
What connections? One of your positive/neg. connectors? I'm having a problem similar to yours, but I think my connectors are fine (the neg. might have been a little loose, but I can disconnect it all together and it still works).

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the positive that was loose. I didn't even see the fucker till (for the second time in 48 hours) had the seat off my bike and all the guts hanging out. I saw the connection move and jumped on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts