Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i ride (or will be soon as my licence get's back from the DMV [had to snail mail it in]) a ZX-6R, and in the manual it says to use the 92 octane i think (at work right now). Basicly says to use the high grade stuff, my question is, even though the manual says "it's bad because of engine knock" and "if you don't use this, your engine WILL BLOW UP AND KILL YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES", will it really do these things? Should i start to take out a better insurance policy on my loved ones? ...also what about an additive? Like those octane boosters you see in your local Checker Auto-Parts or Wal-Mart (damn i hate that place)? They say the can up the octane by 6 or somthing, so that means if i use the basic fuel, 87 octane i think, and add that, it would put me at 93, above the recomended, if the recomended is in fact 92...

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I think if you read the manual or the warning stickers carefully, it will say octane recommended is 91RON (or Research), which is 87 octane by the (R+M)/2 at the pump in the US.

Direct from Kawasaki - Fuel Min 91 Research/87 Avg. Oct. Unleaded OK

Welcome to Kawasaki.com

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
That octane-booster shit you can buy at the auto stores is just that. If you read the instructions, the octane points they talk about on the front of the bottle are actually .1 octane number. You wind up using 10 times the amount you'd expect to use.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I look at it this way. Normally premium gas is ten to twenty cents more per gallon of gas. I look at my bike as an investment. I would not be worried about putting the extra $1 in the tank if it was mine. The only thing it is going to do is behave better and prolong the engine.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The octane ratings are different in Europe than the US. Pump gas in the US uses the (R+M)/2 method which is 87 for your bike. That will translate to a higher number in Europe where they use RON only (?). 95 RON is equivalent to about 90-91 in the US.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i'm a cheap fuck. my bike is a cheap POS. a big reason i ride is to save money.

i use the cheap shit.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Unless you are having issues with knocking or pinging, you probably could get away with lower octane if you wanted. I agree with the other poster, in that it does not cost that much for the size tanks that we have, so I always run 93. If I were running the cheap stuff, I think I would run some Seafoam or Techron through every now and again to keep the fuel system in good health.

On my truck I run the cheap stuff, but it has a 25 gallon tank and over 120k miles too...

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
So what about all BMW's and Benz's that say "93 octane only" on the gas caps...not much will happen if you put in regular, but the engine will run better with 93?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If in doubt, call and ask the dealer. If still not sure, call a couple more dealers. (Telephones are cool.) Then I'd use whatever they say. I never mess with the bike, even dirt bikes.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I posted the link to the '03 ZX6R owners manual. It says to use 87 octane. Use what your manual recommends. Use what the sticker on the tank recommends (before you peeled it off). If you want to waste your money on more expensive higher octane fuel, you're just being foolish. It doesn't give you any added benefits. It's not cleaner, nor does it give you more power.

Most of the rest of the world uses RON octane rating

The US uses (R+M)/2

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I think if you read the manual or the warning stickers carefully, it will say octane recommended is 91RON (or Research), which is 87 octane by the (R+M)/2 at the pump in the US.

Direct from Kawasaki - Fuel Min 91 Research/87 Avg. Oct. Unleaded OK

Welcome to Kawasaki.com
this is straight from the owners manual for a 2003 R6

Premium unleaded gasoline only
91 min pump octane (R+M)/2.

the answer to the question is, use what it says, because it's tuned to run on that. if you bought a motorcycle and can't afford the gas for it, you have no business owning a motorcycle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
:cheers

You will almost never find a motorcycle sold in this country with an octane requirement higher than 91 (R+M)/2. For some reason, California doesn't seem to sell anything highter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Run 93 and forget it. High compression engines need high octane to run properly. No moe gas than a bike holds, it's not very expensive to run the best!

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
:bs

High compression doesn't mean shit. It's the combustion chamber shape, head flow, cylinder bore size, and above all, spark placement and flame path.

These engines aren't your grandpa's rocket 88s. There's a really good reason manufacturers go through the trouble to recommend the octane rating they do. Some are 87, some are 91.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
The compression ratio does have to do with it, along with everything else you stated.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
High compression is one component. But just because a 600cc engine has 12.9:1 cr doesn't mean it needs the same octane as a BB Chevy with 12.9:1

The other factors are far more critical, along with mean and peak effective combustion pressure.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I posted the link to the '03 ZX6R owners manual. It says to use 87 octane. Use what your manual recommends. Use what the sticker on the tank recommends (before you peeled it off). If you want to waste your money on more expensive higher octane fuel, you're just being foolish. It doesn't give you any added benefits. It's not cleaner, nor does it give you more power.

Most of the rest of the world uses RON octane rating

The US uses (R+M)/2
Haha, yeah i am the 3rd owner, and the last one put lots of mods on the bike, so yeah i'm sure it was him who ripped it off, oh well, ty very much, your awesome

1+ to u :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts