Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, any military retirees out there that have a Tricare standard supplement that they like? Since cockhead McCain decided to turn his back on the military and come up with the idea to kick all the military retirees off Tricare Prime I have to move down to Standard and get a supplement. I love how more retirement benefits are being taken away from the military. I can't recommened to any young person to go in the military anymore, you will eventually come out with nothing. I hope McCain gets prostate cancer and rots from the inside out. Too bad the NVA didn't keep his fucking ass/end of rant

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Did you really think that your service means anything to them?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In actuality, no. Those in DC care nothing about miitary retirees. All this "Support our troops" crap you hear from them is an act so they feel patiotic. They don't give damn about the military. Sad part is those that are active don't realize it's coming to them, too. I still felt like venting.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I fully support our military. My son in law is still a Marine and many others have served. But govt (local, state and federal) all over are seeing changes in benefits and retirements. I don't know all the nuances of what you're talking about but my guess is you will still pay much less than what I pay for my health ins. When I retired after 30 years with the PD I could keep my health ins for $1300 a month. I don't want to see our service members get screwed over but times are changing. I just wish the same changes applied to Congress.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I fully support our military. My son in law is still a Marine and many others have served. But govt (local, state and federal) all over are seeing changes in benefits and retirements. I don't know all the nuances of what you're talking about but my guess is you will still pay much less than what I pay for my health ins. When I retired after 30 years with the PD I could keep my health ins for $1300 a month. I don't want to see our service members get screwed over but times are changing. I just wish the same changes applied to Congress.
I will pay less but the point I'm making was when I joined I was told "free healthcare for me and my family for life after completely my 20 years of service" I didn't complain when they made me start paying for Tri-care and kicked retirees from going to military hospitals. Being deployed overseas and being shot is different then working stateside and going home everyday, it was a benefit for doing that. This is going all the way back on the contract. Would the government have been OK if half way through my enlistment I decide "it wouldn't be convenient for me to be deployed right now so I'm going home"? I doubt I could have done that without brig time. I held up my end of the contract is my point. Times shouldn't change when it comes to contracts and promises.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Well, there is a change a coming in the next 4-10 years. There will be more former military people in our Congress and Senate and hopefully they don't forget about their Brothers and Sisters who are still in or have served.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
Ok, any military retirees out there that have a Tricare standard supplement that they like? Since cockhead McCain decided to turn his back on the military and come up with the idea to kick all the military retirees off Tricare Prime I have to move down to Standard and get a supplement. I love how more retirement benefits are being taken away from the military. I can't recommened to any young person to go in the military anymore, you will eventually come out with nothing. I hope McCain gets prostate cancer and rots from the inside out. Too bad the NVA didn't keep his fucking ass/end of rant
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...h4HoDg&usg=AFQjCNHM9MPseOFPQllhRP-6fdIZ2c7EYA

this is a national disgrace. FUCK JOHN MCCAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Even if you do make a change to the bennifits it should only affect the people who have not signed up yet. Everyone in the military and everyone retired from the military should have the same thing they where told they would have.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even if you do make a change to the bennifits it should only affect the people who have not signed up yet. Everyone in the military and everyone retired from the military should have the same thing they where told they would have.
Nope, I talked to Tricare the other day. Unless I live within 40 miles of a major military base I get the boot. I like your idea, though. I was working under the free for me and my family for life after retiring promise....that got pitched a while ago. :(

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
Yup, effective 1 April 2013 you are hosed if you live outside of the 40 mile "catchment" zone. What a crock of shit. Let us know if you find a viable supplement for standard.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
This isn't making 20 yr retirement look good. Anymore changes and I may just do the 15 yr thing after all.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
This isn't making 20 yr retirement look good. Anymore changes and I may just do the 15 yr thing after all.
I would not advise that. While military retirement is not going to make you rich, it is guaranteed for life. If you are going to do 15....do yourself and your family a huge favor and stick out the last five years.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Right now I can not agree that it is guaranteed for life. Mfromphilly1 thought his medical bennifits where "guaranteed for life" but it would seem that has changed. However I do agree that if you do 15 then go ahead and do the extra 5. Just make sure you have more than just military retirement. Put money away in a roth 401k or something like it. Something that is after taxes so you dont have to worry about tax increases after you retire.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
Right now I can not agree that it is guaranteed for life. Mfromphilly1 thought his medical bennifits where "guaranteed for life" but it would seem that has changed. However I do agree that if you do 15 then go ahead and do the extra 5. Just make sure you have more than just military retirement. Put money away in a roth 401k or something like it. Something that is after taxes so you dont have to worry about tax increases after you retire.
If the federal government goes tits up (a distinct possibility) then yeah, military retirees would be screwed. If it gets that bad though, there will be armed fighting in the streets.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Besides pay differences and base privileges (to include the commissary and exchanges), please tell me the differences between a 15 yr retirement and a 20 yr retirement?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Maybe I don't understand the 15 year retirement. When I was in there was no retirement at 15 years. From what I understand of it we are talking about 15% of your base pay in difference. Plus the difference in your base pay from making rank in those 5 years ... or even more. The only way I could see 15 year retirement being a good thing is if you are in a job that is in high demand in the civilian world and can get a high paying job with retirement from the civilian world and have 2 retirements in the end. Even then if you have one of those jobs the military usually gives you a nice reenlistment bonus. I cant tell you what other difference there is but to me that is enough.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may not be correct but I seem to remember a 15 year retirement gave you a pension but at a reduced rate. But yeah, I don't count on my retirement being there....the asshats in DC will take that away soon. I've been telling all the young people I know considering a career in the military to think again, the gov't will change the rules midway through the game and leave you with nothing. I'm the biggest hinderance to recruiting in Mesquite now :) Most of the kids in the JROTC at the HS are now looking at college or trade schools.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts