Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front wheel is out of alignment with the handbars... its totally bugging me... ne idea how to fix this? its off by 15 degree... the bike goes straight, but the handle bar and wheel arent lined up...

bike is a 99 CBR f4

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
are the forks twisted or the clip-ons moved out of position?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If nothing is bent, and the forks are just tweeked in the clamps, you can loosen the top pinch bolts and the axle. Apply the front brake and push down on the front suspension a couple of times and retighten everything to spec. All should be well...
Jim

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is a pic.it was taken with handlebars straight as you can see the wheel is pointing outwars... also the wheel is not aligned with the fender... the fender does point straight.

doesnt look like anything is bent anywhere... but Im no mechanic maybe you guys could see more than I do...

Attachments

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Ummm...... you cant "tweak" forks in modern sportbikes. If the forks really arent bent, the triple clamps are.

Are you the only owner or did you buy this used? I would seriously suspect the the forks are bent but if it isnt blowing seals the tubes might have been replaced and the clamps are tweaked.

Its something you dont want to ignore as it does represent a safety concern.

It doesnt matter how much you loosen the bolts and all that other magic, if its not straight its got to be bent somewhere.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here's what could be bent:

forks (one side or both)
triple tree (upper or lower)
axle

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Something is bent. Take it to a shop and have them figure it out. It could get semi spendy. Fork tubes are about 300 each and the clamps are about 4-500 for the set. Then of course you have diagnosis time and labor.

Sorry about that but good luck with it!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mine is the same way... fender is rubbing on the fender on the right side. It is less than the picture above, but just enough to notice. I am going to try to just adjust the forks and see if they have just twisted in the triple clamp. Hopefully thats the problem.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
To check if forks and the triple clamps are bent, remove plastics. Stand to side of bike and sight along the length of one fork. This fork should totally obscure the other fork. If one of the forks is ahead of the other throughout its length then the forks or the clamps or both are bent. Remove forks and place one fork chrome tube over the other forks chrome tube. Yes the forks are opposite each other. Now rotate one fork and see if you can see daylight between the fork chrome legs. If one or both the fork legs are bent the bent part will allow daylight between the legs.
Take the triple clamps off. Place lower clamp on a flat (preferably machined surface). If you can rock the clamp on the surface it is bent. Repeat with the top clamp. You can also sight across the clamps on the bottom of clamps and see if the right leg boss is parallel with the left leg boss (just try it will be obvious). Bent trees can be straightened but best left to people who have experience. Bent fork tubes can also be straightened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts