Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought the bike the front tire has been feathering. I thought this was because the last guy never turned. Any one else had this or a cure? I have been hitting the twistys as hard as I can hoping it will get better!!

Paul

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I think it is perfectly normal, it haves a lot more to do with the pavement being uneven, as it is designed to be, than your riding habits.
The pavement tends to be higer on the center, to help drain water and whatever, that makes almost impossibe for you to ride on the exact center of the tire thread, as if the road were absolutely flat, causing the feathering.
Thats why normally the front tire usually wears faster on one side, it wears faster on the oposite side of the road that you ride (ie: you ride on the fast lane most of the time, in the left, the tire will wear faster on the right side)

·
old member
13,079 Posts
How many miles on the tire and what type? Some fronts (BT010 for one) are really prone to feathering wear patterns. You might also check the wheel balance and front fork oil levels/oil weight. Is the front spring rate about right for your weight? Sometimes front tire feathering is an indication that the forks aren't quite set up right (spring rate, fork oil weight/level/equal on both sides). How about fork seals? Kinda rambling, but that's all I can think of.

·
Registered
69 Posts
yeah, it has a lot to do with suspension set up from what i've experienced. My last Bt-10 feathered really bad, tweaked the front end and put on a new tire...no more feathering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts