Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's plenty here about adjusting the rear tire but does anyone have any suggestions on how to check to see if the front tire is aligned correctly??

When I put my bars to what looks straight to me and look at the wheel from the front all looks good. But what we see is just a matter of perspective and angle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There's plenty here about adjusting the rear tire but does anyone have any suggestions on how to check to see if the front tire is aligned correctly??

QUOTE]

A front wheel can only go on one way, that's correctly. If you haven't t-boned something and mashed your front forks, then you're in alignment. The rear tire needs proper alignment to track the front and frame. The front tire is constantly moving out of track alignment evertime you turn.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
about the only way I can think would be to check the fork tubes for parallelism to each other.
I'm not aware of any measurements or points to start from. I'll check the manual tonight for any tips or tricks that they may mention.

·
I didn't do it.
95 Posts
Have you had your triples lose lately? It is possible to misalign the front forks. In essence, they end up looking like two legs in the midst of taking a step.
However, the wheel will still track straight, but your handlebars won't be straight while it does so.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The saga continues, huh?
Pretty much. I got a new (well used) set of 07 R6S calipers off ebay that should be delivered today. So we'll see if that helps at all. I'm gonna start by just replacing the left one since that's the one that gives me problems.

And yes, I have had my Triple loosened in the past 2 weeks. I think everything is aligned correctly but am wondering is it's just the angle I'm looking at it. I'm trying to figure out a way to get a measurment reading to verify.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
If you want to make sure the front wheel is straight, loosen the two bolts on the side of the top triple tree and the nut on top on the center stand, if there is movement when you loosen these, then the forks aren't straight in the trees. If they don't move, then they aren't crooked.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
If you want to make sure the front wheel is straight, loosen the two bolts on the side of the top triple tree and the nut on top on the center stand, if there is movement when you loosen these, then the forks aren't straight in the trees. If they don't move, then they aren't crooked.
Please explain! "the nut on the top on the center stand"???

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Oh, I meant to say the top nut on the triple tree while the bike is on the center stand. LOL

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
What kind of problem are you having?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What kind of problem are you having?
Besides possible brake drag from the left rotor;

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6/397214-r6-fork-moded-people-what-could-wrong.html

Just trying to make 100% sure it's not the wheel alignment.

But I think I'm gonna try something a bit simple ..... gonna try taping a laser pointer on the caliper pointed to the very top surface of the rotor (not the pad contact side but the very top). If I spin the wheel & something isn't right the red dot should track off the rotor I would think. Try it on both sides, if they both pass it's gotta be on there right ..... right??

·
Registered
538 Posts
When you have the front tire off you should be able to put the axle back in without tightening anything and it should spin freely. If the forks are twisted even a millimeter the axle would be binding.

·
Registered
539 Posts
dood u may have crashed forks, that were reworked or replaced parts to make it straight... the only way ur calipers would be off and or front wheel alignment is:
A: ur forks are fubared
B: u cant measure worth shit
C: Ur calipers are fubared
D: U fucked up ur shim kit (crushed a washer 2 tite)
E: Ur triples are fucked (eitehr top or bottom) or loose
F: Ur front wheel itself is fubarred and not straight

u really need to get a clear idea of where ur parts came from, the most plausible solution for all ur problems (brakes and front wheel alignment) is ur modified forks.

Im gonna guess if u installed ur old forks ur problems would all go away.

oh yea if u didnt know, if u crashed ur front end and decided to install new modified forks.. that shit probably wont work.. u probably need new triples and maybe bearings and the steering tube.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the wheel is straight as far as I can tell. I taped a laser pointer to each fork pointed right on top of the rotors ..... spun the wheel several times and not once did the red dot on either rotor leave the top. If something was off at least one of those red dots would have left the top of the rotor I would think.

As far as brake drag from the left caliper .... that appears to be gone now as well. I just put the left caliper that I just got today on the fork and the spacer issue was the same with that one as well. Since the caliper I already had is cosmetically nicer I pulled the 4 pistons & both seals for each out & swapped them between calipers. Put everything back together and no drag that I can tell. I still need to ride it to be sure, I just spun the wheel for a test and walked it up/down the driveway a few times. When i back the bike up afer hitting the brakes hard it's easier to move now and there's no squeaking from the brakes like before. So I either had a messed up piston or the seals just needed to be replaced. When I was trying to take the pistons out of the caliper I had I noticed they were harder to push in & harder to get out then the ones from the caliper I just got. When I swapped the pistons & seals it was easier to do both. So something was most likely sticking.

As for the spacer issue with that left caliper .... I'm at the clueless state and close to the don't care area. The forks, rim, rotors, and alignment all look good. The wheel spins freely and I can't see any other issues anywhere. A thiner spacer centers the caliper on the rotor so I can't see there being an safety issues .... especially since I've been riding around like this for some time now. So I'm prob just gonna deal with it, can't see it's hurtin anything and I've been lookin a lot the past few weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts