Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 R6 with a new tire on the front and when i hit about 120mph I get a nice wobble and it gets worse the faster I go I thought it was an improber balanced tire so I took it to a differnt shop they checked it and said it was fine. my machanic things that it could be the bearings or I just got a bad tire.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Make sure they actually check the balance at that speed and not just lower. While the tire/wheel is on the balancing machine, watch it spin at really low speed and look for any side-to-side wobble in the tire or wheel. Where there a lot of weights needed for balance? If so, have them take it all off, rotate the tire on the rim, and try again. Generally the gold/yellow dot on the tire is the light point and should go next to the valve stem as that is presumed to be the heavy spot on the wheel. May not be the case on your wheel for some reason, though.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Also, make sure your front axle is straight. Even a .5mm in runout will cause some wobble. Make sure you also check to make sure your forktubes are sticking up an equal length in your top triple tree.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Did anything else change at the same time besides the new tire? Dumb question, but did you run up to the same speed on the same road on the old tire?

·
Registered
426 Posts
make sure you dont have a bent/warped rotot. I had that problem before. Even if they hit the rotor wrong changing your tire it could have bent. I never noticed mine til i got to high speed and high speed braking.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Makes sense, but makes you wonder why it showed up with the new tire? :confused:

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
wobble

Another simple solution would be the infamous out of round tire. We scrutinize every tire for racing as the balance can usually be made but you cant fix an out of round, egg shaped tire. Get your front end off the ground and hold a ruler directly in front of it with a steady gap and spin it. Do this at three angles to the tread section to see if there is a high and low spot from a poor molding. I have seen it in the best race tires so the street tires are sure to get them occasionaly. If it is out of round and doesnt have many miles, dunlop or whoever made it should warranty it. Thats my experience anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts