Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding the past few days and I have noticed the front end is starting to feel funny. For example if I pass over bumps now, it kinda feel likes the front is rattling and doesn't feel as solid and tight as it used to. I have also noticed that I can feel more of the engine at higher rpm's now. The gas I use hasn't changed and the front tire has the correct psi in it....Any ideas??

Thanks
Cris P.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Maby the fork oil needs changed, is it leaking at all?? Whats your milage?

Or maby.........its time for the r6 forks and brakes :grinbounc

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WISPER said:
Maby the fork oil needs changed, is it leaking at all?? Whats your milage?

Or maby.........its time for the r6 forks and brakes :grinbounc

No fork oil leaking, and it only has 4300 miles on it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Your headset needs re-torquing.

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you have the service manual, look on page 128, it will tell you how to check the steering head. I'm checking mine right now, since I think mine is doing the same thing. I just have to get the rear down and the front up. I don't have a sand bag, but a box of heavy books might do the trick.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Get someone to lean on the back of the bike :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
wish I had someone home with me! Well, I checked it out, and my front end IS a little loose. So, I guess I'll have to get a steering nut wrench to tighten it up. Anyone else tighten up their nut already that can give a little advise/things to do/not to do? Does autozone carry the tool you need to do this, or is it a yamaha tool?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eyespy said:
Your headset needs re-torquing.
How do I go about doing this? I have the factory service manual and found the section on the steering head, but I am a little bit confused as to what actually needs to be tightened.

Thanks
Cris P.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yeah, I'm going to be giving this a shot myself. Looks like you need to take off the steering head, or top triple tree to get to the steering nuts under it, and take off the lock washer, top steering nut, and loosen the bottom nut. Then tighten the lower nut to the specified torque, untighten it, and retighten it to the 13 ft. lbs. I'm guessing that initially tightening it up is to seat the bearings and everything under it. Then, the lower torque to hold everything together. I've got to run around to a few places and then I'm going to give it a shot. I'll post my results and maybe take a few pictures too.

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Eyespy said:
That's a sweet wrench. Any idea if the 3/8" drive is in about the same spot as on the factory wrench? I'm wondering if you can use this with a torque wrench to tighten to the specs in the manual. There's no way I'm going to go in and buy "Steering Nut Wrench 90890-01403". :lao

·
Registered
135 Posts
No, I went in today to the dealership and here is what I found out: The Steering Nut Wrench cost about $60 from Yamaha. I tried AutoZone and everywhere else to see if anyone had something like it, no luck. I also tried Sears, and they didn't even have spanner wrenches! Wow. ANyway, the guy at the dealership told me all they did to tighten up the steering nut is use a brass punch and tap it with a hammer, and then check the steering tension like the manual says, that way they don't have to take the handle bars and all that stuff off. I was kind of surprised at what he told me, and he even said it was easy to do yourself, which it does look simple, except I don't have a brass punch (Didn't find one of those either) or a tensionmeter, but I do have one of those at work. We might have a brass punch at work, since one guy does a lot of sheetmetal stuff, but I might just order a spanner wrench like Eyespy has.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If you want to measure the tension like in the service manual, you can find 500-gram spring scales pretty easily at a store for science teachers (or online). I found one for as cheap as $4 online.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know... this seems like a lot of work for a problem that should NOT be happening. I really don't want to spend $60 on a tool that has only one purpose for one machine. Does anyone know how much the dealership charges to fix this? Is this something that I should totally stop riding for, or just don't ride too hard?

These little things are kinda frustrating..the TPS, stearing bearings, front brakes jittering etc.....

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Shouldn't this be covered under the warranty?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
4300 miles on the bike, right? Did you take it to a dealer for the 4000-mile service? If so, they should have checked the steering head during the service, and ought to tighten it up for free if they skipped it.

It's annoying for sure, but in the big scheme of bike maintenance this is pretty small. Things vibrate loose from time to time, and you'll need to tighten them back up. Riding with it loose may or may not cause weird handling, but it's pretty hard on the bearings. Personally, I don't like heading to the dealer, so I'd figure out how to do it with whatever tools I have around. There's a spanner in the bike's toolkit that might work in a pinch (I've never tried it).

Look on the bright side. You'll have experience when the 16000-mile service rolls around and you get to repack the headset bearings.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts