Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taught at the MSF to use all 4 fingers when using the front brake, which is what I have been doing. However, I have heard a few times that on some of the b***** bikes, people use 2 fingers so they don't end up braking too hard. Plus they can maintain throttle control while braking.

My question is, should I start doing this though? Using 4 fingers on the brake is fine for me now, but like many others, I plan to one day move up to a 600ss, and would like to get into the right habits as early as possible.

Thanks in advance!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
4, more power, more control

my example. those hand exercise machines.....

you can squeeze it w/ 2 fingers......but w/ 4 you have more control and power.....

it's all about practice........

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use 2 fingers. That way, I can better grip the throttle in order to blip it during down shifting at the same time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I was taught the 4 finger method for more power. But my question is, on a more powerful bike, which has more powerful brakes, don't you want to squeeze the brakes with less power to prevent overbraking and wheel lockup?

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Do what is most comfortable and most appropriate. I use two fingers because on most modern sportbikes that is all that is necessary to get adequate braking. In most cases I've found that even when I have all four fingers on the lever most of the pressure used to apply the brakes comes from my index and middle finger anyway.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
However you are comfortable. It is personal. Two makes it easier to blip obviously, and sportbikes come with brakes that can loop you with one finger if you have decent hand strength.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use my two middle fingers for my front brake, A practice I wish I could use more on the clutch. I got in the bad habbit of using 3 for comfort.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Depends on the situation. If I don't have to feather the throttle, I'll use four fingers.

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
2,917 Posts
I used two fingers when I first learned to ride all of 4 months ago, then I took MSF and they always said 4 FINGERS!! 4 FINGERS!! So, because I'm in the habit, I, like you, use 4 fingers. I wish I could get back to using 2. I seemed to be just fine with it, but my hand is used to 4 fingers and now two feels weird.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Maybe we should have a poll on if we were to use our front brakes?

<sarcasm>
Do you guys actually use the front brakes...? I don't use my rear OR MY FRONT! :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor
</sarcasm>

:dunno

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use two unless I am just scrubbing off a little speed as in when a car in front of me is turning off the road and I only need to slow down a little. In that case I usually use one finger. The radial brakes on my CBR1000RR are very strong. Two fingers is more than enough to loop it. 4 is overkill

·
Registered
110 Posts
:neener I use three fingers. just depends on what u get use to. Most of the time I only use the front brake anyway. MSF teaches four for safety cause it's the safest- Doesn't matter as long as you stay in control and look ahead for the other idiot not looking for you! :dblthumb

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I use two fingers out of habit.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Two fingers for me. I'm somewhat ham handed at times and the brakes on the 12R are plenty powerfull enough with just two finger pressure..

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
for all those, "my brakes are really powerful".............bullhocky...........rossi uses 4 fingers from time to time, and ya'll have nowhere the brakes he does. it's all about practice.

2 finger is fine for 95% of riding.......it's when the shit hits the fan where the 4 kicks in.......and if your not practiced in it.........then your only hurting yourself and your chances of survival.

·
Are we not men?
9,010 Posts
RACER X said:
for all those, "my brakes are really powerful".............bullhocky...........rossi uses 4 fingers from time to time, and ya'll have nowhere the brakes he does. it's all about practice.

2 finger is fine for 95% of riding.......it's when the shit hits the fan where the 4 kicks in.......and if your not practiced in it.........then your only hurting yourself and your chances of survival.
And I'm going nowhere near as fast as Vale. I've also seen Nicky using 1 finger. Great, with their experience and talent. Not comparable for 99% of us.

We've had this discussion before. I agree with the MSF that 4 fingers is best. Personally though, I use 2. And I have had to brake very hard to avoid a situation. Still need to go out and do a measured test with 2 and 4 fingers to see if there's a difference in my stopping distances.

I don't recommend anything but 4 fingers to anyone, it's just what I'm comfortable with. And to some extent, your comfort level will help you out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I use one finger for slowing down, but if I need to make an emergency stop then I'd use four fingers as needed......

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
4 is what is recommended, personally, I also use 2. I would love to be in the habit of using 4 but I"m not. I too don't use my rear brake, I pump it once I get on to make sure it is there, but I do not use it. That is one technique I would like to work on also for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Another reason MSF teaches us to use 4 fingers that I don't think has been mentioned, is then us newbs don't have any fingers to accidentally hit the throttle when we are supposed to be stopping.

I have become accustomed to using 2, but there have been times where I grabbed with all 4 in an emergency situation.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts