Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please!
I have a Ducati monster 620, 2003
When I drive my bike for a proximity 10 minutes the front brake starts to get hot and brake lever hard(sorry for the sexual content) all the way up until the brakes gets totally stuck. Then if I stop for a few minutes, I guess until the brakes cool down, the lever softens up and front wheel is loose again. If the bike is on a centerstand and the brakes are cool, I can rotate the front wheel pretty easily but the brakes drag a bit on the brake disc, normal i guess, but I don't know if it's to much. If you give the front wheel a good push (front wheel elevated) should it rotate a whole round?

I have bleed the brakes, refilling with dot 5.1
I have cleaned the calipers and the caliper pistons

I read somewhere that the return hole in the mc can get clogged and causes so the brake fluid can not travel back into the mc, how do I unclog this one?

I have also read that a aftermarket brake lever can be an issue, causing the return valve to stay shut. But this brake lever has been on the bike for months and has been working just fine, so I don't think this is the problem.

If the brake lever is not the problem.
Calpier and pistons are not the problem.

What then can cause the brakes pads to drag so much that the disc and everything gets so hot that it locks up?

Help is muuuuch appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I have now also tried to unclog the return hole with a small needle, and I can see the piston mowing in both the holes now.. So probably not a clogged return hole..

I also took it for a test drive, brakes locked up, I opened the bleeder to see if it relieved some pressure so the brakes would release, and it did, the second I opened the bleeder, I could move my wheel again! So what the * is going on...?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Help please!
I have a Ducati monster 620, 2003
When I drive my bike for a proximity 10 minutes the front brake starts to get hot and brake lever hard(sorry for the sexual content) all the way up until the brakes gets totally stuck. Then if I stop for a few minutes, I guess until the brakes cool down, the lever softens up and front wheel is loose again. If the bike is on a centerstand and the brakes are cool, I can rotate the front wheel pretty easily but the brakes drag a bit on the brake disc, normal i guess, but I don't know if it's to much. If you give the front wheel a good push (front wheel elevated) should it rotate a whole round?

I have bleed the brakes, refilling with dot 5.1
I have cleaned the calipers and the caliper pistons

I read somewhere that the return hole in the mc can get clogged and causes so the brake fluid can not travel back into the mc, how do I unclog this one?

I have also read that a aftermarket brake lever can be an issue, causing the return valve to stay shut. But this brake lever has been on the bike for months and has been working just fine, so I don't think this is the problem.

If the brake lever is not the problem.
Calpier and pistons are not the problem.

What then can cause the brakes pads to drag so much that the disc and everything gets so hot that it locks up?

Help is muuuuch appreciated!
I'd say there is some moisture build-up in your fluid and it boils... Do a complete flush and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts