Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What major things did you learn from Motocross that helped you when you made the transition to the street???

Besides all the stuff like how to use a clutch, I think the biggest thing that I carried over is me constantly looking around seeing what is around me. When I raced MX I was always looking who was next to me and what was in front of me. I would looked for a down rider or which line looked best and that is something that I think helps me keep it on 2 wheels when I went to the street.

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
On top of making myself be aware of my surroundings, I learned throttle control and how NOT to panic in those hairy situations.

I also learned that a 2 stroke is not the best powerband to be learnin' wheelies on - I'll try AGAIN now that my R knee is OK and after I buy my knee braces :eek:nfloor

I'm still a newbie to the dirt (riding since Jan) and man, that YZ kicks my arse every time :mg Riding the gixxer is like taking a vacation, smooth and steady :headbang

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Carolyn said:
On top of making myself be aware of my surroundings, I learned throttle control and how NOT to panic in those hairy situations.

I also learned that a 2 stroke is not the best powerband to be learnin' wheelies on - I'll try AGAIN now that my R knee is OK and after I buy my knee braces :eek:nfloor

I'm still a newbie to the dirt (riding since Jan) and man, that YZ kicks my arse every time :mg Riding the gixxer is like taking a vacation, smooth and steady :headbang
everything you said is so true. That's cool you just got into MX, once your body gets completely used to it, it will not be so bad. I bet one of your biggest problems is arm pump but the more you ride the stronger you arms will get and it will happen less often.
I firmly agree that MX experience will definitely help anyone's transition from dirt to street. BTW what happened to your knee??
P.S. Isn't it cool we got a Motocross sub forum :headbang

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
mj31 said:
BTW what happened to your knee??
I was tryin' to do wheelies on my KX100 and got :urowned

After multiple baby wheelies, I finally was in the powerband... slid my arse further back... wacked the throttle... and BAM!
Bike shot up... kicked my feet off the pegs... I let go... Knees contacted the ground :(

I want to get the Asterix knee braces though and try again on my YZ now :cheers

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carolyn said:
I was tryin' to do wheelies on my KX100 and got :urowned

After multiple baby wheelies, I finally was in the powerband... slid my arse further back... wacked the throttle... and BAM!
Bike shot up... kicked my feet off the pegs... I let go... Knees contacted the ground :(

I want to get the Asterix knee braces though and try again on my YZ now :cheers
You sound fearless which is good and bad. Good = you and your arse( I haven't heard that word used in a long time, reminds me of the movie Braveheart ) will not let the bike ride you, you will ride the bike and you got knocked off and your getting back on. Bad = you and your arse will most likely get knocked off again and it could be a while before you can get back on. Just be careful and let that knee heal up. Take it from me, I let allot of injuries not heal right and i'm starting to pay for it now.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Wheelies mmmmmmmmmm I love em. Hay Carolyn for best results get a mountainbike and pratice wheelies on that, get a "good" feel for the "balance point" using the back brake to control your hieght. Then when your comfy on the MTB transfer the skills to the KX. Once you have a feel for the balance point you will be able to wheelie ANYTHING!

Trust me, I know from years of fun :D

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys :)

I should get a mountain bike... I get my turning techniques mixed up sometimes between the gixxer and the YZ :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
* Everything * :beer Dirt riding made me a MUCH better rider. Especially the sort of riding we have here. It's all straight up or down just about. You learn how to control a bike in any situation real quickly or you dont make it.

When it's wet its a whole new experience. Red clay thats as hard as pavement and as slippery as a tile floor with mobil 1 on it! :eek: Its hard to even walk on the stuff. Then in the jungle theres what we call black ice. Moss and algae covered red clay that is just nasty. You can be riding along and suddenly both wheels just shoot out from under the bike and SLAM you hit the ground with zero warning.

Thats what got me using Cold Cutter Ice Racing Screws. They were like rolling velcro! Insane bite! Better than dry. I'd be blasting along like a wild man and anyone behind wouldnt be for long.... check the tires out on my DR 440 dualsport. LOLz a cordless screwdriver and a film can full of screws made all the difference in the world. :beer

Thats way too many screws in the pic, all it took was every other center knob. The pic setup was like indexed steering. It did not want to turn and when you really twisted the bars they snapped back to straight! Very strange feeling! Just the middle was perfect.

Never took them out even on the street! They there sparks accelerating at night :D Dug up the asphault doing burnouts really nicely too !

Attachments

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Got wheelies?? I can rock balance point + wheelies daily on the CR250R and its souped up. Just a matter of the afforementioned throttle control and rear brake control. i had em like that on the 900RR too see :beer

Attachments

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
HAHA that brings up a humorous "incident" in my fender dragging antics..... :D

We were camping up at the motorcycle park 800 acers of killer land to ride on. Only legal spot to ride dirtbikes here but no one pays any attention and basicly rides everywhere on the rock. So were on a 4 day party/fun ride thing and were all getting ready to take a group ride, I'm ready and start rippin around the tents, trucks and bikes slinging dirt and mud on people cause I WANNA RIDE!!! They are taking so dam long Im getting bored... so I start doing almost standstill wheelies on the DR. I have it down pretty good after about 5 tries and Im balancinr dragging the end of the fender on the ground at 2-3 MPH really slow... Im hangin from the bars slipping the clutch and making alot of noise yelling at my friends to get there buts ready.

Next thing I know the DR hicups and stalls :eek: it begins this ultra slow motion fall backwards.... Like it wants to squish me. I instantly kick off the bitch trying to avoid the slam dunk the bike wants to finish me off with... when I kicked off it gave it just enough forward shove to slowly weaving along 6-8 feet away from me and heads right for a friends F3 that he rode up on. The bike is spotless.... WAS. That dam DR RAPED it! It in slow motion rolled right up to it still vertical and as it got a foot away fell down forward and just MAULED the F3 hitting it direct with the skidplate across the center of the sear ripping it tearing the plastic off below the seat busting the rear turn signal off and putting a good sized dent in the tank! :eek: I was laying flat on my back watching in horror as the evil DR RAPED and MAULED that poor F3.... it was like a bad dream or something... Needless to say my friend wasnt at all pleased..... I had to let him ride my bike the entire weekend and I sat around the camp drinking wishing I was riding :( He was cool enough to claim it on his insurance saying it got knocked over in a parking lot! One of those things that you never imagaine can happen and suddenly a nightmare unfolds in slow motion right before your eyes :eek:

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
OW that sucks man!! ill bet your buddy was happy about it :)

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian,

DAMN! Talk about bein' :urowned
That's pretty cool of your buddy not to loose his cool over it, saved ya some $$$ in repairs :)

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Carolyn said:
Krazy Hawaiian,

DAMN! Talk about bein' :urowned
That's pretty cool of your buddy not to loose his cool over it, saved ya some $$$ in repairs :)

You aint kiddin! The cost of fixing his bike was over $2000 :eek:

Theres a wild story behind him, His name was Tom <aka> Shotgun Tom.... Lucky for me he was recently made rich by a "police action" he was unfortunatly a part of. He was awarded almost $400,000 from his work place insurance and lots more from TV and news reports, made into a 3 minutes of fame TV star after being caught up in a hostage situation where he was duct tapped to the business end of a shotgun held by a crystal meth addict for nearly 11 hours :eek: when he arrived at work one morning!!!

He's lucky to have survived intact! Police snipers shot the idiot after waiting all day trying to resolve the problem. The guy made a slip of showing his face in a window and a occifer took a "unathorized" shot and ended it.

The officer was suspended from duty for 2 weeks, and my buddy Tom was given a citizens award of some sort by the police, put on all the news channels locally and interviewed on a few big TV shows including Good Morning America!

Just shows even work can be a adventure..... but FAME and FORTUNE can be the root of all evil if you aren't a strong person.

Sad note, Tom eventually lost everything after his 3 minutes of fame and instant riches hit him. It took 5 years or so but he lost his georgeous wife a year after the thing happened. Then began drinking and ??? all his friends saw it slowly happening. Nothing any of us said or tried to do helped. It was a sad thing to see a super cool really FUNNY guy slip into being a repuksive loud mouthed jerk, go broke and start begging and borrowing living on the streets until being deported and stripped of his US citizenshir and sent back home (paid with Fed Funds) to Canada. :a2 Tom was a rwally good friend. Sorry to see him go.

Thats a pic below, of Tom his brother and I with our bikes at a beach a 1/2 mile from my house. His BMW cafe racer, a older F2 and my GSXR. His brother in middle me on right Tom on left.

Attachments

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Carolyn said:

That is EXACTLY how it is with me only my YZ is an 80 instead of a 125....I can assure you that 80cc two-stroke is enough to send you home limping more than once!!! :lao
Funny because I trashed my knees trying to wheelie my YZ too...never again... :urowned
But like you said, the R6 (in my case) is so nice and easy. Going from the YZ on the track to the R6 on the track is a cake walk as well...nice smooth throttle!!! No real "hold on really tight because we are going to go NOW!!!!!!" type stuff!!!
But really, the thing I value the most from my dirt/ice experience is when I go through a turn and hit some gravel and experience a two-wheel slide on my R6, I am able to easily maintain the throttle and when things are nice again, I giggle, shake my head and say out loud EVERY time "Thank goodness for dirt bikes!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts