Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 6 months and I've already picked up my second nail! After 150 miles on the bike I had to replace the rear... now at 2500 I've picked up another friggin' nail!!! Argghh....

So here's my dilemma... which tire would ya'll recommend: Pirelli Diablo or Michelo Pilots (Power or Sport?) If I'm going to spend more money on a new tire, might as well replace both.

I won't be going to the track but I like leaning into the curves, commute to the office a couple times a week, and occassionally make weekend trips. And being in Florida we've been getting rain 40 out of the last 45 evenings!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Don't buy a new tire, get it patched! If the nail didn't penitrate the tire way out close to the side wall it will be fine. I had to have my rear patched a couple of weeks ago. I've had many bike tires patched without incedent.

·
...What speed limit sign?
244 Posts
+1 to that, I know alot of guys who patch w/ no incident.

But if you are set on replacing it (as i would be), I ride pilot powers and love em.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tire's lost a lot of air in the last 24 hours, I just noticed it this afternoon and put the bike on its center stand. I'm getting the feeling that a plug is a temporary fix to get me to the shop. But I'll still need to replace them.

Do you still suggest just pluggin it? [I could always just plug it, pick up the new tires and keep these as a spare.]

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Yeah, plug it. No sense scrapping perfectly useful rubber. I suggest you go to autozone and get one of those tire repair sets. Basically, it consists of a file that scrapes the crap out of the hole and gets it ready for the plug, some rubbery sticky plugs, and the plug tool. Fixed many car tires with this kit without incident, as long as its a nail hole and not a rip.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
killernoodle said:
Yeah, plug it. No sense scrapping perfectly useful rubber. I suggest you go to autozone and get one of those tire repair sets. Basically, it consists of a file that scrapes the crap out of the hole and gets it ready for the plug, some rubbery sticky plugs, and the plug tool. Fixed many car tires with this kit without incident, as long as its a nail hole and not a rip.

+1 Those things work great.

·
Registered
227 Posts
had this conversation when the same thing happened to me, came down to did I really want to ride my bike at 100mph + with a plug when most manufactures state clearly that speed rated tyres should be replaced when punctured. I know is in there best interestes, but do u really want to take a chance with something that importatant to you. A blow out at speed if not always fatal, would be pretty dam close. Couple hundred bucks for a new tyre..against rest of life.. no choice in my book. Oh! Pirelli Diablo's are really good. Went for the Diablo Corsa's this time and they are incredible even with loads of rain over here in london.

Plugs are great, but seriously would not go above 50-60mph with a plug in.
just my .02

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. The puncture was right in the middle and I probably would've plugged it after everyone's suggestion. But if the deal at the shop holds true it looks like I'll be trading them in. Since there's still a ton of tread left on the original the local shop has given me an offer to sell me a warranty plan on the old tires, than use it to swap them out for the new - paying the difference plus $12.50 per tire for mounting and balancing on the Pilot Road.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
That's a cool dealer for them to throw out that option for you. I would do that. Would the new tire be covered under the warranty? If not, get the warranty again. I am on my next set.

·
the human bike-rack
419 Posts
+1 for the Pilot Roads for the regular commute and the occasional scratch (but not the other way round)- I am getting excellent wear and much more confidence inspiring grip with the PR's than with the stock Dunlop 252's

cheers .... kimbo

·
the human bike-rack
419 Posts
oh yeah and I'd plug a tyre until I could get it properly patched but just as long as I am not pushing it any more than 8/10ths from thereafter... but then with Pilot Roads I am not going to push them any more than 8/10ths of the bikes capabilities (even if I were skilled enough) anyway

cheers .... kimbo

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If you patch, there are two types. The patch installed from the outside is recommended to be temporary only; the bare insert looks like a black worm. The other patch is installed from the inside at a shop; it is often considered permanent; it looks like a mushroom. Manufacturers advise against more than one permanent patch in the same quadrant of a tire.

Many people recommend either way to get a new tire, or limit your top speed.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Have it patched from the inside, you can even do it yourself. It is much better that plugging on high speed rated tires. Don't for get to re-balance after a tire repair.

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
mwellbel said:
had this conversation when the same thing happened to me, came down to did I really want to ride my bike at 100mph + with a plug when most manufactures state clearly that speed rated tyres should be replaced when punctured. I know is in there best interestes, but do u really want to take a chance with something that importatant to you. A blow out at speed if not always fatal, would be pretty dam close. Couple hundred bucks for a new tyre..against rest of life.. no choice in my book. Oh! Pirelli Diablo's are really good. Went for the Diablo Corsa's this time and they are incredible even with loads of rain over here in london.

Plugs are great, but seriously would not go above 50-60mph with a plug in.
just my .02
Got to agree, I wouldn't ride on a plugged tyre. I bought a brand new rear a couple of months ago, went to the local bike meet at the ACE CAFE (in LONDON) and some Bastard put a screw into it, reaslised when I got hoome and was wheeling her back into the garage. Tyre was still in the scrub in stage so luckily wasn't going to fast. Reaplaced the next day!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Nobody gives road hazard insurance any more?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just picked up the new tire... swapped the old for the new and also bought a new front tire... With warranty, mounting and balancing, it came out to $200.00 total for the Pilot Roads. =)

Jay, with the warranty if I get a nail they'll swap the tires and prorate based upon the depth of the tread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts