Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year my friend wanted to get a bike. He's 6' 5", 300+ lbs, he's a big guy. He said he didn't want a little 600 because he looks funny. He really wanted a Busa. I told him up front that I wanted to be his beneficiary when he buys a Busa.
I finally talked him out of a Busa and this past weekend I went with him to pick up a 1992 ZX11. It looked new. Black with black frame. I was glad he got an older bike and not a new busa or liter bike. It still has alot of power but I couldn't get him to get a smaller bike.
Five days after getting the ZX11, he drops the bike in a dirt parking lot. I wasn't there but EVERYONE told me about it. He told me he was manuvering between 2 cars and the front end just washed out. I told him it was rider error. Then I proceeded to tell him "aren't you glad you didn't buy a new $10,000 bike then drop it 5 days later!?"
Just wanted to share the story with everyone. I always read threads about friends wanting to buy bikes and they want the latest and greatest bikes. I think I did a pretty good job talking him out of a busa but there was no way he was going to get a GS500 or similiar bike. A big thanks goes out to ZXRON who helped me with info on the ZX11. Thanks ron.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
good story, I bet he's glad it wasn't brand new. But there are a couple of things that are confusing me.
1- isn't a ZX11 a liter bike ??

2 - Besides it not being new, is there really a difference between a ZX11 and a Busa when your a beginning rider ???

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
If memory serves, that bike can still own him at high speed. I think that bike does over 180. Hopefully the low speed dump will help him keep the throttle twists a little short for at least a while.

·
Registered
487 Posts
ZX11 is b***** than a litter bike, but i think the point he was making was that the guys huge and its better that he doesnt learn on a brand new bike. as for the power part, well hope he has lots of sence, and isnt a moron. cause thats still a very fast bike.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Super Ninja RR said:
ZX11 is b***** than a litter bike, but i think the point he was making was that the guys huge and its better that he doesnt learn on a brand new bike. as for the power part, well hope he has lots of sence, and isnt a moron. cause thats still a very fast bike.
Yeah I thought that too, but wasn't sure. I just don't understand If he wanted the Busa , why not just buy a used one???

·
Registered
97 Posts
ARZX636Ryder said:
Earlier this year my friend wanted to get a bike. He's 6' 5", 300+ lbs, he's a big guy. He said he didn't want a little 600 because he looks funny. He really wanted a Busa. I told him up front that I wanted to be his beneficiary when he buys a Busa.
I finally talked him out of a Busa and this past weekend I went with him to pick up a 1992 ZX11. It looked new. Black with black frame. I was glad he got an older bike and not a new busa or liter bike. It still has alot of power but I couldn't get him to get a smaller bike.
Five days after getting the ZX11, he drops the bike in a dirt parking lot. I wasn't there but EVERYONE told me about it. He told me he was manuvering between 2 cars and the front end just washed out. I told him it was rider error. Then I proceeded to tell him "aren't you glad you didn't buy a new $10,000 bike then drop it 5 days later!?"
Just wanted to share the story with everyone. I always read threads about friends wanting to buy bikes and they want the latest and greatest bikes. I think I did a pretty good job talking him out of a busa but there was no way he was going to get a GS500 or similiar bike. A big thanks goes out to ZXRON who helped me with info on the ZX11. Thanks ron.

thats what he gets for using front brake, damn that sucks.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
mj31 said:
good story, I bet he's glad it wasn't brand new. But there are a couple of things that are confusing me.
1- isn't a ZX11 a liter bike ??

2 - Besides it not being new, is there really a difference between a ZX11 and a Busa when your a beginning rider ???
+1 :beer

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the ZX11 is still a liter bike. Bad choice of words. I talked him out of the most powerful bike he could possibly purchase. So to me that was an accomplishment. My next step was to keep him away from a new liter bike, ZX10 GSX-R1000 etc. I really tried to steer him to a ZX9 or a 929 since he wasn't considering a 600 or smaller bike. I figured an older model "big" bike would maybe be a wiser choice than the new ones. And "if" he dropped it, he wouldn't be pissed that he messed up a $10,000 + bike. That was the point I was trying to make. In the end, everyone is going to buy what they want, I was just really glad he didn't get the busa.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just guess its better on the pocket to dump a 12 yr old monster than a brand new monster which it is, but like everyone said, still too much bike for a beginner. Has he taken MSF?

Similar story about a buddy of mine. Bought a 05 Busa in March on Friday. Lowsided it that Sunday. Put in the shop for a month, lucky enough to be able to afford a whole paint job (Escalade White Pearl) and took MSF with me. Hes hasn't gone down again..yet.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sorry to hear he dropped the bike. Hope the damage was minimal.

I didn't realize this was going to be his first bike. With that in mind, I see both sides of the story. I totally agree with you talking him out of a new bike for a starter bike ... and him dropping it already proves why you did it. I also have to agree with others when they say it's still a big bike for a starter bike. I can understand his feelings of thinking he needs a liter+ bike to move him around, but I'm no small dude myself, and my first bike was a '78 CB125 ... it was lucky to do 50MPH downhill ... and I hit the pavement with it due to a total lack of experience.

Since he's already got the bike, I'd HIGHLY recommend him taking the MSF Basic course at least. He also needs to remember to give that machine some serious respect ... it may not be king of the hill anymore, but it's still capable of some serious speed, and it can get to that speed in a hurry .. and the second he doesn't respect it, it will bike him HARD.

FWIW, Personally, I've taken both the Basic and Experienced courses. It took me a while to convince myself to take the ERC ... I figured, after riding for 18 years or so, what could I possible learn? I was quite surprised some of the new techniques I learned in that course. Well worth the time and money.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
The ZX11 probably won't be all that outrageous with a 300 lb dude on board.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This isn't his very first bike. He had one some years ago, not sure what though. I recommened the MSF to him. I'm not sure if he'll do it or not.

When he bought the bike, it was an 1.5 hour ride back home. I rode my 636 up there so we could ride back. He didn't look like a total newb but he was a little nervous. We got rained on, acutally if freakin' pissed and poured on us, while we were on the interstate. Then about a half hour away from home the ZX11 ran out of gas on the interstate. The fuel lights didn't work. His girlfriend who was in a car behind us, went ahead and bought a small gas can and gas for him. I thought it was quite an experience for a bike purchase. Kinda funny too. We just sat under a bridge on the interstate and watched a bunch of bikes hauling ass. One was an RC51, man that thing sounded cool.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
If he started off with the GS500F. He'd be way better off then those liters bikes.
If he dropped a bike at those slow speeds, then he's not ready for the big bikes. Becasue if he does not control his massive weight at slower speeds, then he's going to get into trouble at higher speeds.

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
I think alot of you guys are underestimating the ZX-11. As was stated before, the ZX-11 was THE fastest bike. PERIOD. For quite some time.

I don't give a damn if the dude weighs 500 lbs. That ZX-11 is a beast that should be respected. Hell, I weighed 280 when I was on my little Ninja 250 years ago. It had no trouble propelling me to 100-110 indicated.

It seems to me he is using his weight as a justification for purchasing a big bike. I'd group the new liter bikes/ZX-12/Busa in the same category. The ZX-11 is a dick hair behind them.

You stated he had a bike some years ago. That's great but the muscle memory isn't there. He really needs MSF and some serious seat time on the 11 in some empty parking lots. Good luck and hope he listens.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great Story, Great timing. I have a Friend of mine, similar in stature, never had a bike, INSISTS on a Busa. (He seriously doesnt understand). I keep trying to push him at a Kat 600 or 750. B***** frame bike, easier to ride. He would look silly on a 600SS. I promised him as soon as He got the Busa, I would take out a life insurance policy on him. And once it payed out, My Escalade would say "RIP ARON" on the License plates.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
We got too many dumbasses on Gixxers1000 in Toronto. They don't wear any gear and they over rev their engines.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
King Cobra said:
The ZX11 probably won't be all that outrageous with a 300 lb dude on board.
Yea, I'm sure it would only pull to about 160mph or so and CBR 600s would smoke him from a roll-on. :rolleyes

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good point by Mad Kat about controlling his "massive weight" at slow speeds. LOL. I'm sure you didn't mean to be funny, but it was.
When I see him tonite, I'll ask him about the MSF class. Sometimes after work we ride, so maybe we'll go to an empty parking lot and practice some slow speed turns, stop, etc. I know I had some problems with slow right hand turns and just practicing them helped alot. I've got him buying good gear too. But he's a 3XL jacket and none of the dealerships carry that size. All of them will order a 3XL, but won't refund/return or exchange on special orders. He'll probably order all his stuff online.

There are alot of guys here buying bikes and I'm trying to be somewhat responsible and keeping the new guys from killing themselves on Busa's etc. It's hard though. Image does come into play on a new bike purchase.

There is a guy at work that just bought a Harley. He's about 50ish. I was parked next to him and watched him get on it to leave, and he couldn't find out where to put the key. It gave me a good laugh. He's a newb and spent around $20,000 or so. How would you talk a new rider at that age into a smaller bike? It might not matter in weight, all those Harley's look like they weight quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts