Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I don't know what to do other than sit back and watch. This might be confusing, but here goes- One of my friends (I'll call him friend A) thinks he and his stupid ass wife have to go to the bar every friday and saturday on his bike. I know he's rode home or to other bars drunk before. Well, he meets up with another rider I know, and now they are good friends. This guy is is pretty cool and a helluva guy, but he's the wild type and is a bad influence on friend A. They both get liquored up and rode to another bar about 20 miles away a couple weekends ago. Mind you this was probably about midnight or 1am. Also, another friend of mine, who is an active duty soldier from Ft. Campbell, came home recently and he went with the 2 of them on his bike. Not sure if he was drunk, but he had been drinking.

Now, these guys all ride cruisers, but it doesn't matter to me if it's a NSR500 or a fuckin scooter. Also, friend A said they did 110 on the way to the 2nd bar the other day. None of these guys wear ANY gear at all, my Army friend will maybe wear a pair of gloves and over the ankle boots, but that's it. Not to mention it is against regs for him to NOT wear a helmet and jacket at all times on a bike, or he could get an Article 15 or whatever punishment for being stupid.

These guys are my friends, although admittedly, I keep my distance from them now after finding out the bullshit they are pulling. I used to go to friend A's house every single night, and we'd be in the garage until 1am working on his chopper or somebody else's bike, but no more. Also, these guys laugh and joke about it too. A's wife is just as bad as the rest of them, how fucking stupid do you have to be to get on the back of a bike in a tanktop when there is a drunk piloting the bike?

I'm getting to the point where I'd rather see them all get pulled and get a DUI instead of seeing them killing themselves. After what happened to me in my wreck, and I was wearing a lot of gear, I can't imagine what would happen if they went down.

Any suggestions on what to do? Of course they will not listen to me, I'm just a 22 y/o kid that don't know shit and they can "handle" themselves. One guy is 23, friend A is about 26, and bad influence guy is around 40. Don't really want to be making trips to the hospital or to the graveyard.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
You will be the bad guy no matter what you do in this situation. One way or the other you are taking a chance at losing a friend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Ditto, except here's something to think about...

These "friends" will probably be dead soon enough. If you actually care about them, you could tell them that they are stupid and irresponsible to drink and drive and that you don't want them to die, so please stop. Unfortunately, they will probably not care what you say. You could wait until they are out riding drunk and inform the appropriate authorities that you saw them drinking and driving. That could lead to serious repercussions for them (and for you, since they will not be at all happy that you turned them in). I don't know many people who care enough to do that. Unfortunately, even on a motorcycle, when they crash there's a good chance that they will injure someone else. At the minimum, it will contribute to negative stereotypes about bikers and it will add to the cost we all pay for insurance.

You are wise to keep your distance from these "friends". You'll be happier if you find new friends-- friends who understand that drinking and riding is a ticket to pain, suffering and/or death.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
+1

new friends are in order.... DWI is about the only thing I will not tolerate from anyone, ever

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'd be tempted to leave gorey pictures of crash sites all over their house. Doesn't take too much smarts to see that massive road rash is going to suck. But that's me. Any way you cut it, these people will not be your friends for long, unless they stop the alcaholic behaviour. I say that because it's not only stupid to drink and ride, but it sounds like they're getting truly drunk, and shouldn't be on the roads at all. I hope they don't take anyone else with them.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I've told them that it was stupid, etc., but like I mentioned earlier, they are older than me so you know how much they listen. They think that since I don't go out and get ripped all the time that I don't know how it is. That is funny, because I partied harder in 1 fucking week in Germany when I was in the Army than they will do in 3 months. And that was when I was 19. I've just got it out of my system, grown up, and moved on.

The older I get, the more and more I see people being ruined by bars. I can think of 3 really good friends of mine who just turned to shit after turning 21. All they wanted to do was go to the bar and it consumed their life. Don't get me wrong, I like to go every so often to shoot pool and maybe drink 1 or 2 beers. These people are going when they don't have any money, are borrowing money to go, and they just think the whole situation is funny. The funniest thing is that on the rare occasion when I have a beer or 2, it is usually by myself or with a couple friends, and the bar rats call me an alcoholic because I drink by myself or with 1 or 2 other people :rolleyes

Oh btw- the friend A I was talking about, does not know even numbers from odd, cannot do simple math, and cannot even figure out if he wins or not on a scratch off lottery ticket (my GF works at a gas station and confirmed this). I talked to him about going in 50/50 with me on tire changing/balancing equipment which came out to $160. He then asked me "well what's half of $160?" How do you reason with somebody like that? I guess you don't.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Give the cops a tip, maybe getting pulled over before they kill themselves will teach them a lesson. When most friends talk to friends about things like this they tell them that they're responsible and know what they're doing.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I know a guy that was riding with his friend, both were drunk, his friend wrecks and loses all his teeth and generally got fucked up. This guys still rides with no gear even after he saw his buddy all jacked and after I've talked to him about it. I don't think he drinks and rides anymore at least. Some people can't or simply won't learn. Let them do what they want.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
prodigal27 said:
Give the cops a tip, maybe getting pulled over before they kill themselves will teach them a lesson. When most friends talk to friends about things like this they tell them that they're responsible and know what they're doing.
this is the best advice on the thread. a DWI conviction will really throw a grenade into their world. believe me, I know.

some people cant be taught from close calls, they have to confront something head on in order to learn. DWI is better than being dead, or killing someone else.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I'm glad you know the seriousness of these 'friends' actions. It seems like a lost cause. If this is part of their lifestyle, I'd stay as far away from it as I can to not make it my own ( or your own in this case ).

You've done your part by telling them what they're dong is wrong. Obviously, if the 40 year old is leading this platoon of failures, you need to break rank. And that wife of his, she cares less about her husband than you do. For shame!

Calling the police when they're about to ride drunk is so tempting, but I hate snitches with a passion. But if it's for the good of the public, there might be some wiggle room here. Since they're no longer your friends and all.

Good luck and I hope you find a new group of responsible friends. You seem like a level headed guy.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to add, the worst part about this, is that the guy and his wife have 2 little girls at home, 6 and 3 I believe. Honestly, they aren't the best parents, but I'd rather the girls grow up with them instead of no parents. They were recently almost $1000 behind on their electric bill. Only reason they didn't get shutoff is because of the kids in the house. The guy ended up selling his 400ex to pay the bill off. Why though, would you go to the bar when you're $1000 behind on ONE bill, electricity at that, and you have 2 little kids at home?

Shit like this is more common than not in my area, and that's the reason I basically have no friends anymore.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Encourage them to buy accessories that would also fit your bike. When they go down, hopefully it's still good for ya.

I got a couple buddies that dumb as well. They actually think it's 'cool' and will laugh and tell stories about it. I just keep my distance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You really can't do much about it. They're grown men and they should know better. Let their own experiences be their own teachers. They'll get schooled soon enough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
prodigal27 said:
+1 Call and give the cops a tip.
Some of my roomates use to have a friend that would drive drunk all the time. We called the cops and gave them a tip about him and he eventually got pulled over. He stopped coming over afterwards, but I don't think he drives drunk anymore.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Not much you can do,except NEVER be tempted to join in.
If your friends are lucky they will get caught and hit hard with fines and possibly lose their motorcycle endorsement/license.
Thats a far better fate than if one of them crash or hurt someone else.

A very close friend of mine had been drinking and we were out riding. Well,he proceeds to do a wheelie in front of the police station.
Long story short,cop sees him,friend takes off,high speed chase,friend hits car at approx. 70 m.p.h.(no helmet) almost dies,spends 3 months in hospital,in hot water with the law.
It took him over a year to fully recover. He still rides,but no more drinking and riding.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Hams51 said:
You've done your part by telling them what they're dong is wrong.
Sorry but i had too, the dong thing had me cracking up.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Methos said:
+1 Call and give the cops a tip.
Some of my roomates use to have a friend that would drive drunk all the time. We called the cops and gave them a tip about him and he eventually got pulled over. He stopped coming over afterwards, but I don't think he drives drunk anymore.
+1 Your friends may not like you afterwards IF they find out. Might hate you for the rest of their lives, but at least they'll have a life to tell about.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts