1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mexico Only :(

Mexico City Will Give You An Xbox If You Hand Over Your Gun
from the seems-like-a-fair-trade dept

Apparently police in Mexico City have decided that they might as well try the "carrot" approach, rather than the "stick" in dealing with local drug violence. They're now offering Xboxes and computers to people who turn in guns (via Engadget). The hope is that this will get guns off the street, reducing crime. Of course, it could just mean that folks with guns will now be stealing more guns in order to get an Xbox while keeping a gun on the side (just in case).

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070329/010052.shtml

Hell I'd go for that... I got a coupla Marlin .22 rifle's I got for 30 bucks at JC Pennys when they closed the sporting goods section :D actually maybe I wouldn't, there really good rifle's :lol

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some possible senereos that might result from the gun = xbox deal...

#
ok ok ok, check this out by joe on Mar 30th, 2007 @ 1:24am

So you get some crappy gun that hardly even works, for like $50, or maybe you even have a crappy gun lying around. Whatever. So what you do is take that gun, get yourself a computer or an xbox, sell it (ya feel me?) and buy a better gun!

Free gun upgrades in Mexico City!

(reply to this comment) (link to this comment)
#
by Lee on Mar 30th, 2007 @ 1:30am

So, the hombre who keeps his gun takes your xbox. He now has a gun and an xbox.

#
Which Xbox???? by gordon on Mar 30th, 2007 @ 1:48am

Yeh...
no one is given any info on whether these r the new Xbox 360's or the old Original Xbox...
it would b an ok deal if it was the 360... =)

#
What if...? by Nick on Mar 30th, 2007 @ 1:49am

Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe these hard-bitten, feuding desperados might actually turn to Xbox Live to settle their differences in future?

There are a number of titles they might enjoy; GRAW2 springs to mind, where they get to shoot up a Mexican border town...and no-one gets hurt...

LOL I like the hombre that kept his gun bit hehe thats thinking! :lol

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
1quick1 said:
Hey at least the government is trying to make a difference. Pretty good idea and even if it does only reduce crime by 1% it's a step forward.
There's been "GUN BUYS" and "Turn ins" before I believe even in the U.S. and I doubt the that actual crime involving guns went down ANY in those areas.

In fact if Mexico City is aiming(pun intended) at getting guns off the streets where do you think the guns that are going to be turned in come from?
Not the criminals "personal" stash of weapons. No they will probably be stolen/taken from someone that actual needs one to defend themselves.
The bottom line is criminals DON"T give up their guns and if theirs are taken away from them guess what they steal YOURS!

The Police/Government KNOW this and it's a token gesture. If it truly worked governments would constantly run these programs non stop and constantly push it in the media along with PROOF and STATS of how cost effective it is compared to normal methods which they don't.

They usually run them once or twice,get it out in the media so it looks like they are "Doing something" and then it fades away and you don't here about it ever again in that area. Why don't you hear about it? Because it DOESN"T work and that kind of stuff they DON"T want in the media.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.