Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has happened three times now, and I'm getting nervous:

As I slow down, just at the 5 mph, my front brake jitters slightly, like something's loose and grabbing/releasing. It only does it when I'm grabbing lightly, not when I grab firmly. Since I felt it might be a real problem, I didn't want to grab hard and have the brake fail. I used my rear brake mostly and got home safely. Have any of you had this happen, and if so, what did it turn out to be? I didn't quite know what to search on, so I got nothing useful.

Also- torque wrenches and sliders have arrived, Givi has shipped. Time to dig into the bike! I want to say thanks to all you for sharing what you know. It's a huge help to me, and if any of you need help with botanical terms, just let me know. :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Check for any brake fluid leaks, they should be easy to see. Take your calipers off and clean them, clean the rotors as well. Use Brake & contact cleaner, that should get any grease/oil that might be there off. Bleed the system, there may be air in it. Make sure all bolts are set to the right torque. If it still doing it I'm outta ideas, might have to take it in.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Another member posted a few weeks back that the bolting came off of his brake pads. Nonetheless, the pads stayed contained, but they did mare the rotar.

I suggest you check over your whole brakes. Check that the pads are properly positioned (I did a thread a few months back).

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273126&highlight=brake

Also check the surface of the rotar for scratches and warping. I am told that *excessive* braking could warp the rotar - I image this would only occur from abundant track time. For this check, I put the bike on the center stand, then prop up the bike so the front wheel is raised and can freely spin. Put a gauging device (anything to feel the rotar allignment) agaist the face of the rotar, and rapidly spin the wheel.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too much for me. It's going back to the stealership.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Read through this (searched on "shaking braking"):

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1523

It's a pretty common issue. I DO NOT recommend lubing the brake rotor floating points with WD40. If you're lucky enough to get some of that on your rotors, you can expect to spend some quality time with brake cleaner trying to get it off of there.

Sadly, the only thing that was effective in fixing it for me was upgrading the front suspension. Stiffer springs and/or more damping has taken care of it.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Having problems again, karst? --

1) Use the torque wrench on those caliper bolts and fasteners. Someone here, I don't remember, had the bolts loose out on him.

2) Check the pads for uneven wear. This might indicate that the caliper is binding.

3)Check the rotors for wear and thickness, and warp irregularities.

4) If the rotors are good: With a course sandpaper, scoure the glazing (shine) off the rotors. Go with across the grain back and forth motion, not circular! Do both faces of both discs.

5) "Lightly" lubricate the caliper bolts with caliper grease and make sure they move back and forth freely, (this might be the cause of the jitter). No lubricant should touch any other part of the brake!!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, man. That sucks. There's no way I have warped or scratched the rotors with excessive use/abuse. I am a pretty good rider, and I've been on this bike for over a year. Unless I've suddenly developed a new bad habit (not impossible) it's the bike not me. I'll try cleaning the pads, and checking for loose bits, but if that doesn't do it, the dealer's gonna have to do it. I had a lot of riding planned this week. Shit. I really hope it's just road grease. I am NOT going to invest my very scarce money fixing a F-ing design flaw that Yamaha should have anticipated.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
segue00 said:
Having problems again, karst? --
Did someone piss in your cheerios this morning?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
karst said:
Did someone piss in your cheerios this morning?
Can you tell that by my typing???? :lao No, I didn't have cheerios!!!:pisson :neener

"LIGHTLY" Caliper grease on the pin and bolts. I'ts not a defect-- they tend to get sticky over time and eventually needs maintenance.

Asked you to do the other stuff just to be sure.:popcorn

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Defects: The comment about design flaws referred to the thread on "shaking braking," not your post. Our two posts crossed in the air.

I am not inclined to f-around with stuff that my life could depend on, like brakes. I'm not someone I'd trust with my life, at least when it comes to wrenching. If cleaning and checking for loose parts doesn't do it, I'm out of my league.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can locktite or something like be used to secure the bolts?

And by the way.. they should have equipped the FZ6 with 4 piston calipers instead of old school 2 piston loose calipers... I'd gladly pay the couple hundred bucks more for them

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem recently with mine and I ended up taking it to the dealer aghh! ( it was still under warranty) They said that my wheel bearings where loose. I haven't had a problem since. So, give them a check.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The repair guy at the dealership seemed unsurprised and totally willing to have a look at it today. I'm headed out there right now, carefully. My guess is that I'm not the first FZ6 they've seen with that problem.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GDF-it-all. They kept it. I had rides planned for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Well, I don't suppose I would have enjoyed those rides knowing my brakes were questionable. He said that rotors are wear items, if that's what it turns out to be. Wear doesn't seem reasonable to me at only 4Kmi, even if it is commuting miles.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Isn't everything that goes wrong a "wear item"?

Reason I didn't pay for an extended warranty right there. :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
WD40 worked for me

fraggle1 said:
Read through this (searched on "shaking braking"):

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1523

It's a pretty common issue. I DO NOT recommend lubing the brake rotor floating points with WD40. If you're lucky enough to get some of that on your rotors, you can expect to spend some quality time with brake cleaner trying to get it off of there.
If you're careful, you'll be fine. I was 100% able to eliminate the shaking by lubricating the floating points on my rotors. I fully feel that this is the solution, but BE CAREFUL!

And yes, that is a really freaky feeling when it happens....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I had about 500 miles planned in the next week, I didn't want to get caught out on the road with some horrible and self-inflicted mechanical problem. I've looked through the service manual, and I have a better idea of what's envolved in getting this sussed out, but I still don't trust my own understanding of this stuff.

<rant>The more I look at my bike, the more I realize just how badly I got screwed with the assumption that women don't like or have an aptitude for mechanics. I can figure the stuff out, and I enjoy it, but I'm never really comfortable with it. My dad's an engineer, but barely taught me to solder. I feel like I'm trying to pick up a musical instrument that some of you have been playing since you were five. All you guys here with young daughters- ASK them if they want to learn, don't assume they'd rather make cookies and play with dolls!</rant>

Sorry, I'm really pissed off at not having my ride, and nervous about having strange men touching her. I'll report back later on what it turned out to be.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Most of us here learned by trial and error. Nobody actually sits and teaches you anything about the mechanics of a vehicle. There is no easy fix other than "taking out an old part out and replace it with a new one". That's why the dealers do a lot of other stuff other than just fixing or "maintaining" a part.

·
Speedbump
226 Posts
I am also experiencing the "shaking while braking". And it seems to have gotten more frequent in the last 6 months. Perhaps related to temp, or maybe just miles (now at 5000)? I've looked over my front brakes pretty well and nothing seemed loose or out of the ordinary. I am going to try a few things in sequence to see if it has any affect:

1. Check wheel bearings
2. grease caliper pins
3. WD-40 the rotor floating points.

Karst, please keep us posted as to what your dealer finds (if anything).

·
Registered
828 Posts
A couple drops of WD-40 on the rotor floaters did the job for me and a few others. Just apply sparingly and wipe any excess off with a fresh shop towel. I hold a towel right beside the rotor buttons while applying.

Even if you get a little residue on the brake disc it will burn off quickly when you pull the brake lever; give your brakes a good test after the application and you should be good to go. Or use brake cleaner if you're feeling paranoid.

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showpost.php?p=155932&postcount=14

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showpost.php?p=71899&postcount=45

1 - 20 of 53 Posts