Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently put my motorcycle up for sale and have been getting a lot of e-mails in regards to it. Well I came across one that seems like a ploy I heard of on SBN maybe a year ago. The first one is sketchy but the second is over the top. I will attach the two emails. I was wondering if there is anyone I can report this guy to. I doubt it but it is worth a try.
Thanks, if for nothing else it is entertaining how stupid people are.

First e-mail:
Hello,
This is Mike Collier writing in from melbourne as regards the purchase of the abovementioned bike and as thus would appreciate it greatly if you could please furnish me details if it is still available for sale, its last asking price for record and confirmation purposes as well as recent pics if any.
Do be kind to get back to me asap.
regards
mike

Second e-mail:
Hi,
Thanks for the response once again, i guess i am okay with the details so far. and as thus i will like to purchase it right away.
I will also prefer my international freight agent take care of the shippment of the bike because i have some other pending goods i will like him to ship along with your bike down to melbourne, Australia.
considering the fact that i am based overseas, i would like to make payment now as a show of seriouseness by instructing my client in the states to issue you a certified cashiers check $7,000 USD which is a refund payment i personally suggested this idea cause i believe that will get payment to you faster considering the fact that i am based overseas and to avoid complications and also the fact that it covers both payment and shipping charges which i w ould be handling personally to avoid compli catio ns, for i would want it to be delivered the safest and most professional way ,so what i would li ke for you to do on receiving the money is to deduct the cost of the bike which is$3900 then wire what is left to myshipper. the shipping funds sent to my shipping agent will enable him transport himself over to your place, offset shippment to here.he will show up at the address you provide for pick up,where you both, will work out all necessary paper work.
please feel free to use $200 for all transfer details pending on the time ;upon confirmation from you that PAYMENT HAS CLEARED and made from me to when the bike is due for pick up.
confirm this and mail back as to the full address including your phone number of where and to whom the funds should be sent to. Here is my information you will ne ed in signin g any neccesary document; Name Mike Collier # 7 Corner of wellington and jackson road, mulgrave,melbourne victoria 3170 Australia.
Fax #:0061395600033

have a good one
regards
mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds shady to me, is it worth that much of a hassle? Just sell it locally and save yourself a lot of trouble. I think I have also heard that this type of thing could be a scam somehow, I don't remember the details.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I don't get it. He is going to send you a check for 7000 grand and wants you to send 3900 to someone else???? This is a new one to me. They usually try to steal your money not send you money. Does he want acct numbers or something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its a scam, the cashiers check will be a fraud check. They are betting that the bank won't notice until they give you the cash. What happens is you wire the extra $$ back to them, and possibly even ship the bike as well. By the time that is done the bank finds out the check is a fraud and will come looking for you to get their money back. In the meantime the scammer has both the extra $$ and your bike.

·
The Premed
318 Posts
OK the second was is a DEFINITE SCAM. Here is how it works. The guy gives you a cashiers check, worth 7000$, and u put it in ur bank for clearance. The bank puts it on pending. It takes the bank like 10 days to actually validate the cashiers check. So in the meantime, the guy says..hey please wire my money to my friend. So you without the 7000 in the bank wire 3100 to his friend..and thats it,.the guy doesnt show up for your bike, the cashiers check is not cleared, and uve just been robbed of 3100$. Normally I seen guys, who just want to get like 500$ transferred just as shipping fees to their friends. but this guy looks greedy, and he should have enuf common sense to know that people wont wire such a big amount untill the 7000 is cleared. What a jackass. STAY AWAY !

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Scam. It's a fraud.

Take any emails, including SMTP headers, and forward any information you have to the US Federal Trade Commission, attn: Wire Fraud, and file a complaint.

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

You realize Australia is an island of theives, yes?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Definate scam The cashiers is real but it has been altered, forgery check can take 2-3 months to get back to you. It will bite you in the A##

·
Believe It or Not........
5,339 Posts
Brett636 said:
Its a scam, the cashiers check will be a fraud check. They are betting that the bank won't notice until they give you the cash. What happens is you wire the extra $$ back to them, and possibly even ship the bike as well. By the time that is done the bank finds out the check is a fraud and will come looking for you to get their money back. In the meantime the scammer has both the extra $$ and your bike.
SCAM!! The cashiers check will take a while to clear and when it does it comes back as stolen and YOU wil be held liable for the whole transaction!!

Sell it local and save yourself the hassle

·
Registered
584 Posts
This scam is pretty old, but unfortunatelly it still bites people in the A$$

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TheWraith said:
Scam. It's a fraud.

Take any emails, including SMTP headers, and forward any information you have to the US Federal Trade Commission, attn: Wire Fraud, and file a complaint.

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01
I will do that, thanks. I knew the instant that I read the second email that I had heard of this before.

·
Registered
128 Posts
SCREAMS SCAM all da way to the police station.....which by way will be where u will be going

1 - 11 of 11 Posts