Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for From sliders for my 02 R6. So is there recomendations with ones to go with or are they all about the same? I know not to get the no mod bracket kind. I have just seen quite the range in prices from $16 all the way up to $100. I can't imagine there is that much of a difference in quallty on these things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Not really much of a difference, the price vary's from brand to brand and from style to style. Just get the one's that you like the best. This is a purchase you can base souly on looks! :dblthumb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
I bought mine from ebay. They are the FS6 sliders.. I got a decent price, took me about 4 minutes total to install, and they look great..
 

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
There are some that are a "puck" system, where as the puck part which can be replaced if its used (get it?). A stationary slider just mounts to the frame and this puck can be interchanged at will. I forget who makes them, but you can get details at www.kneedraggers.com. Average price around $40.

I purchased mine online, forget where. Something like "oeacessories.com" or something. I have yet to install them, but I guess they're the favorites of F4i owners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
as per the above post, the FS6 sliders are pucks that can be replaced to keep your crash a secret... shhhhhhhh
 

·
voted for an American
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
ThRotLJnKy said:
Not really much of a difference, the price vary's from brand to brand and from style to style. Just get the one's that you like the best. This is a purchase you can base souly on looks! :dblthumb
You are very wrong.

Stay away from those "no cutting required" sliders, they're junk. Sliders MUST mount at the engine mount bolt.
 

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
TTsixxer said:
You are very wrong.

Stay away from those "no cutting required" sliders, they're junk. Sliders MUST mount at the engine mount bolt.
Some machines applications don't require cutting the cowls/fairings. But not this one, or my F4i... you have to put it under the knife.

LOL. I received my sliders three months ago, put almost 1,000 miles on the machine and have yet to cut through the fairings. Too scared!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
mikem317 said:
Some machines applications don't require cutting the cowls/fairings. But not this one, or my F4i... you have to put it under the knife.

LOL. I received my sliders three months ago, put almost 1,000 miles on the machine and have yet to cut through the fairings. Too scared!
Don't set a date to put your sliders on... do it on a whim and don't ride before hand when you decide to..... apparently everyone crashes when they are going to get them put on or have just got them in from being shipped.... Be careful.
 

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
oober said:
Don't set a date to put your sliders on... do it on a whim and don't ride before hand when you decide to..... apparently everyone crashes when they are going to get them put on or have just got them in from being shipped.... Be careful.
Sounds like the Curse of the Frame Slider to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
mark it out and usea hole saw, or a step drill. Don't force it, and it will go very smoothe and look like it is a factory part. It will be fine, just take your time.
 

·
voted for an American
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
mikem317 said:
Some machines applications don't require cutting the cowls/fairings. But not this one, or my F4i... you have to put it under the knife.

LOL. I received my sliders three months ago, put almost 1,000 miles on the machine and have yet to cut through the fairings. Too scared!
As long as it mounts directly to the motor mount then it's ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
TTsixxer said:
As long as it mounts directly to the motor mount then it's ok.
Yup. Those fairing mounted ones probably won't help much if its a decent impact/drop.
 

·
I hate thieves!!!
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
It all depends on what type of protection you are looking for. The ones that mount to the motor mount bolts will hold up better then the ones that just screw in. I got the ones that just screw in because I figure if i go down fast enough my fairings will be the least of my worries. As long as the bike still runs and im all right a rashed up fairing won't bother me much. I got sliders now just incase i do something stupid......like the time i forgot to put my kickstand down....wish i had them installed then :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
216 Posts
dont forget when u go to drill the hole in your fairing line the hole up with the engine mount bolt using a piece of gum. Lay down masking top over the circle where u are going to cut so that the drill bit does not slip
 

·
voted for an American
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
Inky24 said:
It all depends on what type of protection you are looking for. The ones that mount to the motor mount bolts will hold up better then the ones that just screw in. I got the ones that just screw in because I figure if i go down fast enough my fairings will be the least of my worries. As long as the bike still runs and im all right a rashed up fairing won't bother me much. I got sliders now just incase i do something stupid......like the time i forgot to put my kickstand down....wish i had them installed then :D
Let me clear up the most common misconception about frame sliders:
Frame sliders are designed to protect the FRAME NOT THE FAIRINGS. It keeps the frame from hitting the ground when you go down and the initial impact is absorbed by the engine instead of the frame.
 

·
I hate thieves!!!
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
TTsixxer said:
Let me clear up the most common misconception about frame sliders:
Frame sliders are designed to protect the FRAME NOT THE FAIRINGS. It keeps the frame from hitting the ground when you go down and the initial impact is absorbed by the engine instead of the frame.
No shit :lao i never realized that. Everything i heard and the reason why i got em is to protect the fairings. I just always assumed it was to protect the fairing. I never really gave it any thought as to why they are caled "frame sliders". It makes sense though, seeing how they are called frame sliders and all :D
 

·
My fanclub is here
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
oober said:
Don't set a date to put your sliders on... do it on a whim and don't ride before hand when you decide to..... apparently everyone crashes when they are going to get them put on or have just got them in from being shipped.... Be careful.
That's not even funny man. I ordered sliders for my F3 and totalled it while they were in the mail. :spank :mad:

I put the Vortex two peice kind on my gix soon as I bought it. Had to cut the left side bodywork a touch. I was more concerned about the grade of the bolt. I went with grade 5. Hardened exterior but will bend before it would snap or worse damage the mount. If the bolts have no head markings at all they are the cheap crap and will bend with little force. My bro downed his 02 R1 twice that I know of. Both times really cooking lowside front end washouts. Intuitive slider ground down and some scratches on the case cover. No plastic damage other thank a dinged mirror from the street crash. The other was on track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info. My biggest concern is taking the plung and cuttin the plastics. Called a shop and they said they would charge an hour ($50) If they installed them. Maybe I will just do it myself. However concidering the price of plastics these days it may be worth the $50.

Has any one tried the metal ones? They seem like they would cause a harder impact then the plastic pucks. Is there any reall difference in the pucks for on 02 and an 03? I would guess if any thing it is puck lenght? I found a bunch of 03-05 for $20 on ebay....the 02 seem to be running $60.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top