Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have little experience in this field and have done alot of searching on this subject and most of it is negative when it comes to DIY.I found alot of discouraging comments from people.The 1st time I tryed this I did what most people do sandpaper till my fingers were bloody then steel wool etc. very time consuming,did work well made for a shiney frame.I remembered a few years back when a friend showed me how to polish my rims just by using aircraft cleaner.I was at wal mart today (I hate that damn place) and I saw aircraft cleaner in the automotive section and I bought some came home and just for shits and giggles sprayed a small test area on the frame. after a few minutes the paint was falling off and was semi shiney I went straight for the mother and I be damed it was now looked like crome.Why the hell are we all sanding the hell out of our frames?I have a zx-7r are they just easier to do?Whats up?Give me some feed back.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I wonder if you can get it as nice and shiny with just the chemical as opposed to some elbow grease? All I know is polished frames are the biggest pain in the ass you will ever experience, and I am ready for something different. I take that back, actually. Polished swingarms are a b***** pain in the ass because they are harder to clean up, and more shit gets on them.

Anyway, looks nice so far. Be sure to post pics so we can see if it really is just as good. If so, I don't know why you would waste the time sanding.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really dont know about polishing the frame yet.I have noticed around the welds the surface is ruffer where I guess they were trying to keep the weld clean.I still dont need to sand paper it

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Hams51 said:
That looks nice so far. Are you going to clearcoat over the polished parts?
You have to be carefull when doing this as clear coat will cause it to turn yellow sometimes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i've been preaching this technique for years. i never could understand why people like doing it the hard way. the only parts that need sanded are the cast sections and i see you were smart enough to just mask them off. nice job, the bike looks awesome!

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
I polished my last bike all up and i'll never do a bioek again. I got soo sick of keeping it up. especially my rims. ugh. I love the blacked out look my zx10 has.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just dont see why anybody would do it any other way it just doesnt make sence to me.I would like to know how everybody did there frames this way

·
Registered
597 Posts
can you post before pictures? Was the frame black to begin with or the grayish aluminum frame. I like the idea of polishing everything. I have been toying with the idea.

·
Registered
597 Posts
zx7rhitch said:
YES...

I see the original on those previous pics now. Didn't catch that before. Looks good, how do you plan on getting to the hard to reach spots or are you only doing the visible areas.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Dude what's that crap all over your bike! just kidding, lookin good there.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, it seems to be doing a good job. Polished aluminum looks awesome, but it's like having a show bike when it comes to cleanup. I look forward to being able to clean a bike up with five minutes of honda spray polish and no mother's polish involved.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had bikes before and it wasnt that big of a deal to keep up.Once a month if that.I do ride alot get caught up in the rain and such but has never been a issue of it really looking bad.The more you do it the better it looks.I do like the newer black frames.Ive been using a dremel with a polishing wheel on it for tuff spots it will leave some swirl mark but if hit again with a rag they go away.I guess the main point of this post was why sand forever its very time consuming this is a much easier way that I dont believe many people know about

·
Registered
238 Posts
damn i might actually have to do my frame since i saw that this actually works. I've never been much into the "bling" factor, but that does look pretty good.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts