Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best brands? I've done some searching but I keep reading about how people like them but don't say they've put them to the test, or they talk about how they look. I care about how they protect and a little bit about price. What are some suggestions, based on that?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I've used Intuitive Race sliders on an sv650 and an sv1000s (frame and swingarm spools):

Sliders

Frame sliders were crash tested on the sv650. Had to replace the slider on one side and the long mounting bolt which got bent.

Attachments

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
What are the best brands? I've done some searching but I keep reading about how people like them but don't say they've put them to the test, or they talk about how they look. I care about how they protect and a little bit about price. What are some suggestions, based on that?
depends on the type of crash. i no longer use sliders on my bike. i use case savers.

for the most part, woodcrafts are considered to be the most effective. that's what i had on my last bike. when i wrecked, the sliders actually did more harm than good.

if you lowside your bike, a slider has the best chance of actually providing some level of protection. the idea here is that the initial impact is not that great and the slider will do as it's name implies.

if your front tire washes out under braking (like my wreck) or you simply knock your bike over in your driveway, the initial impact is significant and it may punch the slider thru your frame and damage your engine or simply fold it over and bend the bolt.

investing in something like the woodcraft case covers may be a better idea in that it puts protection right where you want it; the cases. they even have a replaceable metal piece that is only there to provide extra thickness where the case is most likely to contact the ground in a spill. these are held in place by small screws that are accessed from the inside of the case cover so that it eliminates the chance of getting the screw head ground down to nothing.

for most crashes, i would recommend these over sliders. but, you may want to add a set of sliders as well, it's up to you...

s3aturnr

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
frame sliders work till they hit a crack or change surfaces, then the bike flips depending on speed, that is what happened to my bike in turn 1 hastings a few years ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The softer the material (delrin), the less chance of that happening from what I have read. I did some research before I bought some for my bike. It all depends how you crash. Lowsides are preferable of course. They can only do so much. Having your rear passenger pegs out actually helps too. i once dropped my bike in the garage and I had those out. No scratches. That's in the garage though.

frame sliders work till they hit a crack or change surfaces, then the bike flips depending on speed, that is what happened to my bike in turn 1 hastings a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
T-rex(always out of stock though) are pretty nice.I have sato racing ones now that were $185 shipped they are really nice and sturdy.

any brand will be good, i would avoid the generic ones since you never know what you are going to get.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Big price. Too new (untested), or have they been out a while? They have delrin in them. No cut feature is cool (for some bikes). They look very low profile, almost like they don't stick out far enough.

How about LSL frame sliders? They use "crash pads" in their sliders......looks interesting.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've never crashed with mine on but I once dropped it in a parking lot, it was once backed into and knocked over in a parking lot, and I once low sided in grass screwing around. Nothing but the sliders, pegs, and handlebars have ever touched the ground so IMO they did their job.
The ones I have are T-Rex racing. A bit expensive though, for the axles I would probably go with skate board wheels next time and save a chunk of change.

·
B O R I C U A
1,216 Posts
I've crash tested the woodcraft a handfull of times, every single time I had to replace the puck, and on one ocassion I had to replace the puck and the aluminum base.

Similar story with pops bike, which is also sporting woodcraft frame sliders.

They have done their job numerous times, and have not failed me once. They are not too expensive, and replacement parts are fairly cheap, and most inportant, ALWAYS available!

BTW - I dont have any experience with no cut sliders, but a buddy of mine had the shogun(?) no cut sliders on his R1, and they did more damage than good.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I got Lockhart Phillips because they looked snazzy. They did indeed save the fairings when the bike got knocked over. I go down at speed more than once I'm hanging it up, no reason for that on the street at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts