Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Newb thread floods the general forum again? :beer
okay well, I found two bikes near my area. (Kind of.. 1 is about 2 hours away) Well, I just need some input on if you guys know that either of these bikes have a known issue or it's just too old and not worth the bike and stuff like that. Here I go:

1991 Suzuki gs500E only 8,900 miles (that's the good point), clean title, great condition, nothing needs replacing. The guy selling it is private party (not dealer if you're wondering) and it's all registered in California and stuff like that. He's selling it cause "they" (i'm assuming him and his wife) got a convertible so he doesn't even ride it anymore. It's listed at $1250. I asked him if he can do $1000 and he said he won't JUMP on it but depending on others' offers he can consider it. So i'd say the price is around $1100. This bike is 2 hours away.. but the guy is real nice and is sending pics and all that good stuff. Sounds older, more responsible.

1989 Honda CBR600 has about 30-40k miles. clean title, need a new battery and new paint job and stuff. (It's an old bike. I'm sure I can just take the fairings off, sand it down, primer it and paint it myself. and then clearcoat it.).... it's at $975. I can probably bring it down to $900. He's only 15 minutes away and he's local. Sounded younger, didn't sound to interested in selling but I think it's cause I called him while he was taking a nap or something. I wasn't too sure .

But anyway, those are the two bikes in my budget so far. I'd say Ill have about $1000 by next friday if i work some good hours. maybe $1100. Well thanks!

EDIT: one more. 1992 Honda CBR F2 $1000 fair paint, metallic maroon

EDIT x2: Why are Honda cbr's so expensive to insure?! The 1989 honda Hurrican is $331/year with LIABILITY. No collision or comprehensive. Just the flat $15,000/$30,000 with $5000 property damage. So the price of the bike ($900) + insurance ($331) = $1,231.

The suzuki however is $177/year with coverage @ $500 deductible. $1100+$177= $1,277. Almost the same price! So which is the better bike?

·
Registered
144 Posts
That GS could be a good beginner bike. Alot easier to work on then a full on sportbike and not really a whole lot to it.

That being said, again an older bike will nickle and dime you to death, especially if you cant fix something yourself.

I assume your price range is around $1000 which doesnt give you a whole lot of options so that GS might be good for you. Maybe look into late 80s Katanas to, they get a bad rap, they arnt bad bikes at all and you can generally pick them up cheap.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I bought my Can-o-tuna 1991 knowing that it would require a lot of work. I'm a quite competent DIY mechanic, but I chose the Katana as after reading the service manuals of some bikes on my price range, the Katana was the easiest to work on, don't require a lot of special tools nor tools that I didn't already had.

That being said, I've already spent $200 in spare parts, and I think I'll have to spend another $500 (including new tires) to get her to her 100%.

By now, all the work done would have been more than $600 in labour, think about that plus the $200 in spares!

All that just to say, if you are not a quite experienced DIY mechanic, the old CBR will bleed you until you are broke. The GS500 is an extremely simple bike, easy to work on, requires a lot less spare parts, and most parts are cheaper than those of the CBR. The GS500 will not only teach you how to ride, but it will also teach you how to fix her and prepare you to maintain your next bike, that could be a CBR that requires work, but you already will have the experience and knoledge needed to get it rideable.

Remember that a bike that is broken is no fun at all. I do enjoy fixing my bikes, but I must be able to ride them! Imagine yourself spending tons of money just to fix her, again and again, while not being able to ride it, because it is on the shop, or you don't have any more money to go pick it up.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
DEFINATELY go for the GS500. The bike is nicely broken in & has probably been well taken car of.

This is the ideal bike for a beginner. You keep that bike in good shape & you can sell it around the price you payed for it a bit later on.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
the gs500 gets my vote as it's a good beginner bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts