Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"A motorcycle sought out by pretentious assholes who prefer wine to Jack Daniels. They hope that the Ducati is a conspicuous indicator of their riding ability along with their Victoria's Secret color coordinated soft leather suits. Unfortunately, the Duc, on the rare instances it will run, is a badge and incident of a lame ass pretender who knows absolutely nothing about motorcyles. They are made by a filthy subspecies of European -- the only ones on the continent who admired the fucking Nazi's.
A gay bar is to a Ducati like a bright light is to a bug."

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
6.5/10.

Failed to make any mention of Starbucks membership card with Duc purchase. ^_^

Did you get to take the 1098 out this weekend? It rained earlier this week to wash off the roads and has been mid-high 70s since Fri, which made for a PERFECT riding weekend. :)

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir, I had it out both yesterday and today. It's insane, there is no better word. The torque is monstrous. Couple things, it doesn't like going slow and the gearing is really tall. So far I've just been puting around the city which is not where this bike belongs, it's a lot more comfortable when you're really on the gas, however, I don't want to go too crazy until the sand is gone. The sound, omg the sound. Sounds beautiful at an idle, then when you're in the top of the rpm range it just sounds amazing. Great brakes, and compared to the other Ducatis I've tried, it shifts very smoothly. It reminds me of my cross-plane R1 in a lot of ways, which is a huge complement as that was my favorite bike.

I've owned a GS500,R6,R1,ZX1400,Speed Triple and I've never had a bike get this kind of attention, and I don't blame people. While my other bikes were excellent machines, this is the first one I truly consider a work of art. There is not one part of the bike that I dislike, which is rare.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I loved my Ducati, but I love my current bike better. We have one of those aforementioned "riders" in our Ducati Owner's Club. I'm still a paying member.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Glad you are loving it so far, man!

That sound....ah yes. Even though I only have a baby 848, my wife said my bike was one of the few she knew were coming well before I showed up in view coming out of the last corner onto the front straight at Barber. VERY distinct sound.

SO TRUE about "wait til a year later, then the love/hate ratio evens out" comment. Takes even less time when you start riding more aggressively (or tracking), because the things that need improvement become BLATENTLY apparent. PRO TIP: get Stompgrips/TechSpecs and replacement pegs on ASAP. Your jimmies will thank you by not trying to automatically retract into your stomach everytime you make a move towards the bike, lol.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Had mine out today too!
Along with my friends new Z1000 I found for him :)
We went way up north into the Adirondacks, stopping in Speculator for some food.
Then met our friend who's got an 1198 and 848, he took the 1198 out today, for our run to the coffee shop of course...no really :p

·
Eskimo Bro
2,053 Posts
I went and looked at the streetfighter yesterday. I think I'd like one and cb1100 in my garage. I would've bought it if I wasn't leaving for the entire summer.

I think Ducati's get a bad rep but what do I know?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Had the potential for a nice ride yesterday with some equally 'not the norm' bikes.

Me, a D675, an HP4, a 690 Duke, and an 1125 CR (the cruiser at the end wasnt with us, lol) would've made for a fun ride, but the Daytona had oil leaking into his bellypan from a shop oil change the day before, the KTM had to get home, and my bike was done being a street bike as my 2nd license plate broke off, so I rode for a little before getting paranoid after seeing a bunch of law enforcement out and about.

And yes, I'll paint the fairings eventually. It's just that with REALLY nice weather finally showing up after a brutally long winter....paint can wait. :)

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
HP4? :drool

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
HP4? :drool
That thing is seriously ridiculous. Wish they'd done upgraded suspension hard parts to go with the very trick electronically active damping to add to the exclusivity, though.

Here's an open shot of it. He's coming from a lightly modded S1000RR and says the HP4 is by far the best bike he's owned.

Totally jealous, because the S1kRR was ALREADY a world-class machine. The HP4.....look otherworldly in terms of performance.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I went and looked at the streetfighter yesterday. I think I'd like one and cb1100 in my garage. I would've bought it if I wasn't leaving for the entire summer.

I think Ducati's get a bad rep but what do I know?
Ya know, after spending the entire day on mine, and switching off between the Z1000 for a bit to compare..
It's reaffirmed what a lot of folks were thinking in my should I sell it thread;
It just needs a few kinks worked out, and then will become perfect.
I literally laughed out loud the first time I got on the Z1000 and had to do a tight right turn out of the gas station. No fancy clutch work needed, no herky jerky, just smooth from 5 mph.
If I get the Ducati close to that, I'm happy.

That Zed is an awesome fun ride though still; a little cramped feeling for some reason. I had surprisingly all day comfort on the Ducati vs the Z giving me some knee pains
He is doing a closer to the book break in and trying to keep the RPM's under 6000, so I didn't get to romp on it like it wanted. Such a tease

Glad everyone got out and enjoyed the weather!

And yes, I'll paint the fairings eventually. It's just that with REALLY nice weather finally showing up after a brutally long winter....paint can wait. :)
Whats the story for this? What did I miss?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Lol so basically the urban dictionary is saying that owning a Ducati requires a high degree of intelligence to appreciate it's complexity and performance!

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beautiful bikes in this thread. I'm sure the s1000rr is a performance beast, I could just never get over the look of the bike. Still, that HP4 must be amazing to ride. ANORXIC, I kinda like it like that, all that CF hanging out is sexy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I know it's off-topic but what is the maintenance schedule like on a 1098/1198? I only ask because I've toyed with the thought of owning one.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
hm? I thought the 1098/1198 had much improved on the "normal" ducati maintenance intervals?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Whats the story for this? What did I miss?
Basically fell down and went 'boom' back in Aug @ BIR, wrecking the nose, right side mid, and tail. Price checked OEM replacements for pearl white fairings.....shat myself....then decided to do all carbon w/ a forum discount for almost the same money THEN paint them in pearl white with a 999R/1098R theme (mostly painted w/ small bits of the carbon left unpainted). Ended up getting so wrapped up in getting ready for the trip down to Barber for the first td's of the season (and first time back on the Duc on a track since Aug) that I never dropped the street fairings off for paint. Now that nice weather is here, I'm not about to miss what might be a pretty short riding season because fairings are in the paint booth...

Beautiful bikes in this thread. I'm sure the s1000rr is a performance beast, I could just never get over the look of the bike. Still, that HP4 must be amazing to ride. ANORXIC, I kinda like it like that, all that CF hanging out is sexy.
Yeah, I can only imagine. I became a HUGE believer in the BMW's electronics at CSS when the last session of Day 2 was in the rain. Now they've added more electro-wizardry to it!

Thanks, dude. I've gotten a LOT of compliments on the bike as it sits now, but I just have the vision of how it'll look in white with various carbon bits left bare. Thinking it'll be an entirely different level of classy hotness in street trim.

Here's the bike in back-2-back track and street trim. Mesh the two together with touches of carbon of the fairings showing, and you have the final vision. :)

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know what would look cool, painting the belly to match your tank, then leave the rest. I wish I was good with photoshop, because I'd try and see what that would look like. Where'd you get that swingarm, is it just a cover?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts