Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cavi, you had the right idea, just the wrong bar. I decided to give a different style bar a try to see if I can lower and improve my riding position without sacrificing saftey. I bought the LSL street bar. Not the high street bar. It is the perfect balance between the stock one and the drag bar which cannot be adjusted in a way that something doesn't hit at one end or the other. With the street bar, I'm a good 2 inches forward and probably a couple inches lower. Best of with the right adjustment of the bar and the controls, nothing touches the tank or the fairing. In addition, the handle bar angle is more perpendicular to the bike so that there isn't that cocked wrist position that has given my tendenitis a problem. I haven't riden yet but it feels great sitting on the bike. Laying down on the tank is very comfortable now in comparison to that god aweful elbows back behind you position when trying to get out of the wind. I will post pics tomorrow in the daylight so you can see how good it looks as well. Sorry to carry on, but I am REALLY happy with this in case you can't tell.

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
This sounds great, the odd stock angle that you mentioned bothers my wrists as well over longer rides.
When you take the pic's can you have at least one shot with yourself or someone else sitting on the bike, gripping the bars?

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moldmaker said:
This sounds great, the odd stock angle that you mentioned bothers my wrists as well over longer rides.
When you take the pic's can you have at least one shot with yourself or someone else sitting on the bike, gripping the bars?
Yes I will. I'll sit on the bike in a normal position and then in a layed down position so that you can see how natural the arm position is and how the elbows are in the perfect position for comfort. I'll also lay the stock bar on top of it so you can see the difference in the angles and just how forward and down it is. Cant wait to ride tomorrow.

·
the human bike-rack
419 Posts
It took me (6'1") a bit of shuffling around on the seat to get comfy on my FZ6 but I don't think I'll have to shift the bar.

I am intrigued about your comment about the elbows behind you position? You must be sitting way forward to achieve that position. If I am tucking in, I slide my butt back until I come up against the rise of the pillion seat and more or less wedge myself in.

Perhaps I get away with that only coz I am a tall bloke.

Wrist problems sounds like you are putting too much weight on them, you should be supporting yourself by a combination of your stmach and back muscles. The best way to ensure you aren't leaning too heavily on your wrists is to make sure your elbows are bent.

cheers ....kimbo

·
Registered
61 Posts
He is talking about his wrists being bent outwards away from your body, Ihave noticed that too. I try and hold on the bars near the edge to try and get my wrists straighter. Im pretty sure he isnt talking about them hurting from leaning down on them.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you close your fist and hold your arms out, that is a straight wrist position. If you then rotate your wrist out to the side, that is the position that the stock bars puts your wrist in. Not a problem for most people unless you have a wrist problem like me. That's what I'm talking about with the wrists. Now, with your wrists in that bent position and your arms sort of close to you and high, leaning on the tank is very awkward and puts my long arms in a buched up position with my elbows way back and not out to the side. Ok, enough about that. Whatever works for people is fine with me. This works for me. Here are the pics if anyone cares. I don't have a photographer to take any with me on the bike, but maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some more pics. Excuse the lack of bar ends as they are still wet from painting. I ordered the mushroom sliders and ends in red but they are way to bright pinkish red for me so I'm painting the gloss black. Less trouble than sending them back.

Attachments

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the bar and the sliders from Speigler. Click on the link for the LSL sliders at the top in the aftermarket mods thread and then you will see the product listings on the left side of their web page. You need to call them to order directly from them because they don't have online ordering and mainly sell to distributors. Service was very fast. I had them in my hands in two days. If you buy them you will also need to buy new bar ends because the stock ones won't work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks amazing FAZR6, big improvement over the ones you are comparing them with in the pic, gives it a much more aggressive look if you ask me. You got a lovely bike there, just a month or two to go till I can go wild on my baby :lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
I will call them on Monday. That bar is exactly what I have been looking for before my trip to Eureka Springs. How hard is the install? Now I just need someone to figure out how to get the rearsets a little higher and little further back :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
These are exactly the kind of handlebars I've been looking for as well. Thanks for being a guinea pig, Mike :D. Out of curiosity, are they much wider than the stock bars? The first picture you posted they seem to be, but in pictures of course it's hard to tell.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kevinmcdade said:
I will call them on Monday. That bar is exactly what I have been looking for before my trip to Eureka Springs. How hard is the install? Now I just need someone to figure out how to get the rearsets a little higher and little further back :)
This was not an easy Mod to be honest. Had I known they would work from the beginning, it would have gone much faster. I was trying to experiment without scratching the new bar so that I could return it and I did a lot of different things trying to find the perfect combination of angle and control position. Once I was sure it would work I disassembled everything and bolted on the new bar, measured for the cutoff of each end and hacksawed it off. Putting it all back together was not so bad, it was just all the bs I had to go through to make sure it would work. Took me about 4 or 5 hours but if I did another one I could do it all in under 2. If anyone wants direction then PM me when you've ordered them and I will walk you through all of the tricks that I learned the hard way. As far as the lenght goes, I cut off 1 1/2" on each end but could have probably taken up to 2" off. I'm happy with the way it is and my total width may be an inch wider with the ends on than the stock ones. I wouldn't change the width if I had to do it again. I'm happy. The adjustment for the angle of the bar and the positions for the controls are all critical and there is not much flexibility from how mine are mounted but that's fine because I think everything is perfect.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow! That looks good. Thanks for sharing. I've got the same issues with the way the stock bar affects my wrists. So I'm definitely gonna go this route. Let us know how it feels after you put some more seat time on it.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
xantri said:
Wow! That looks good. Thanks for sharing. I've got the same issues with the way the stock bar affects my wrists. So I'm definitely gonna go this route. Let us know how it feels after you put some more seat time on it.
I rode for about 20 mins this morning and it felt very good. Getting out of the wind was much more comfortable. The only way it could feel better were if it were even lower but that's just not possible with this bike. My wrist was sore before I rode as it usually is and riding didn't hurt it like it use to. I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Looking Good !!! :dblthumb

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Another awsome mod first for Mike!!

sweet!!

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Fazr6, the bar looks incredible! Can't wait to try it out. :lol Nice grips too!
How do you like them? Are they more comfortable? I might need some of those...
How 'bout those sliders?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts